Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I350 - Ubuntu server 18.04 - VLAN tag stripped of ping packet

sebastien_dantuono

Hi there,

I'm facing an issue with the network card I350, running on ubuntu 18.04, in a VLAN environment. Indeed, the VLAN tag is always stripped of my ping packets.

Important note: don't use a PCAP dependant application to sniff the traffic (wireshark, tcpdump, ...), as PCAP will automatically reconstruct the VLAN tag, and by doing so, hide the issue. I'm using here an homemade sniffer, based on mmap/tx-rx ring buffers.

Playing with the tx_vlan offload/rx_vlan_offload has an impact on the VLAN tag stripping for every frame except the ping echo.

Here is my configuration:

- 1 CentOS with a VLAN (vid=2)
- 1 Ubuntu server 18.04 with a VLAN (vid=2)
- Both machines are connected to a Cisco C2960X
- Both ports on the Cisco are set to trunk
- CentOS send a ping request to the Ubuntu
- The sniffer is running on the Ubuntu
- RX/TX VLAN offload are off

What I see:
- Pings works!!!
- If I create a SPAN on the Cisco switch to monitor the traffic with a third machine, I can see all the frames (echo/reply) properly tagged
- On the ubuntu, tcpdump/wireshark shows properly tagged frames to, but because they are relying on PCAP library, which is reconstructing the VLAN tag
- With my own sniffer, all the icmp echo frames have their VLAN tags stripped off, with the aux_data of the frame properly set. All the other frames are properly VLAN tagged.

Any suggestion? could this be an issue from the driver?

Thanks,
Seb

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello sebastien_dantuono,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using onboard network card or a PCIe network card?
  2. Can you share the link of your latest driver?
  3. What is the model of your board or system?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
sebastien_dantuono

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Here are the requested info:

1. Are you using onboard network card or a PCIe network card?
    Onboard
  2. Can you share the link of your latest driver?
    IGB version 5.4.6 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/fr/download/13663/Pilote-de-carte-r-seau-Intel-pour-les-connexions-r-seau-Gigabit-82575-6-82580-i350-et-I210-211-pour-Linux-)
  3. What is the model of your board or system?
    It's the DFI CS101, but updated by DFI themselves to integrate the I350 intel network adapter.

Don't hesitate if you need more info.

Thanks,
Seb

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Thank you for the quick reply.

Upon checking, you are already using the latest generic driver from Intel and you are still having some issues.

Since the network card is onboard, have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the board to check this issue and if the have the appropriate driver for your network card?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Thank you for the quick reply.

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you already tried contacting the manufacturer of the board for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
sebastien_dantuono

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your time.

I send them a mail and still waiting for an answer. Will come back here once received.

Thanks,
Seb

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Thank you for the update. Since you are now talking to the manufacturer of the board, I just want to check if you still have clarifications regarding this thread.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 2 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you still have clarifications for us regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
sebastien_dantuono

Hi Michael,

No clarification yet... to be honest they didn't answer yet!!!

Thanks,
Seb

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Sebastien_dantuono,

Thank you for the update.

To give you more time to consult with your OEM, we will just follow up with you again after 5 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
sebastien_dantuono

Hi there,

I have a reply from my OEM and they confirm no customized linux driver has been made for the network adapter...

In the meantime, I have implemented the PCAP workaround but at a useless CPU cost (redo something that has just been undone).
For info about this workaround in PCAP, please check https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/blob/master/pcap-linux.c line 3917.

Thanks,
Seb

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Sebastien_dantuono,

Thank you for your update.

It is a great joy to know that you have already found a workaround for your issue, although it is not the most favorable, the good thing is that it works.

We appreciate you sharing that brilliant insight. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Sebastien_dantuono,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to provide the information that we asked.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
sebastien_dantuono

Hi Alfredo,

I'm sorry but I provided an answer to the only question you asked: did my OEM developed an adapted driver for the I350, which the answer was no.

I'm actually the one expecting an answer from Intel regarding this issue: will you investigate? fix? do nothing?

Thanks,
Seb

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Sebastien_dantuono,

Thank you for clarifying.

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Upon further checking since the network card is onboard, we can only recommend our generic driver. Being an onboard card, there is a big chance that the card has been modified or altered by the board manufacturer. It is best to further communicate the issue to the board manufacturer for a fix or workaround.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you already contacted the manufacturer of the board for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

I am just sending another follow up hoping that you are now talking to the manufacturer of the board for further assistance.

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos