Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

IEEE 1588 PTP Support , I210-LM vs I210-T1

Reha
Beginner

Hello,

Recently we have tried our on board ethernet adapter I210-LM for PTP, unfortunately hardware clocking feature doesn't work.  We had to switch to software clocking feature which is much less sensitive than hw clocking.

In the motherboard we have, there is an empty pci-e 1x slot . Our intention to have an 1x pci-e ethernet nic that can support PTP hw clocking . I have read several datasheets about Intel I210-T1 and i am confused  . Does I210-T1 really support PTP hw clocking or not.

Thanks

Best Regards

Reha

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Reha
Beginner

Does anyone know if the I210-T1 supports PTP hardware clocking or not ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Reha
Beginner

To be more specific , is the  Hp Intel I210-T1 GBE NIC Network Adapter E0X95AA support ptp hardware clocking ?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you share the Operating System you intend to use for us to further check your request?

We understand that you will be using HP Intel I210-T1 GBE NIC Network Adapter E0X95AA which is an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet adapter. For OEM version of Ethernet adapters, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support it would be best if you can also get in touch with HP for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance regarding the capabilities of the card but, don't worry as we will still try to check if I210-T1 supports PTP HW clocking or not.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

The operating system is Linux Debian 11.3 ( Bullseye ) , kernel 5.10.0

Thanks For Your Help

Best Regards

Reha

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha, 

Thank you for the siwft reply. 

Please allow us to further check your request. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha, 

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please be informed that HW Timestamp is supported on i210 controller. You may check article below which states "HW Timestamp is supported on e1r devices (I210, I211 and I350) for Windows" 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089268/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

However, since you are using HP adapter and Debian, you have to contact the adapter manufacturer (HP) to confirm if it is supported and if they have an available driver for support in Debian. See IEEE1588 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ieee1588-faq.pdf

You may also check this link for list of Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters as Debian is not listed as supported OS. 

https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000025890/ethernet-products.html

List of System Manufacturers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

HP Support

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no reply from you, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Beginner

Thank you Crisselle,

I will read the documents , and decide what to do. 

0 Kudos
Reha
Beginner

Hello Again,

I have decided to go with Intel i210-AT pci-e 1x  ethernet adapter. I have installed this NIC and tested. This one can do hardware timestamping without problem.

Thanks  

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha, 

Thank you for the update. 

We are glad to hear that your intended setup worked without problem. With this, we'd like to know if there is any additional assistance needed on this matter. If none, please advise if we can now close this request. 

Awaiting to hear from you.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Beginner

Thank you Crisselle,

We can close this request.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha, 

Thank you for the confirmation. 

We will now proceed with closure. Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. If you need any additional assistance in the future, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos