Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

INTEL X520-DA2 Dual NIC randomly loses connection

vellon
Beginner

I have two x520 Dual NICs installed on a server running ESXi 6.7 U3 (Build:17700523).  Each NIC utilizes Intel SFPs (E10GSFPSR) thus connect to the network via four fiber cables to a Cisco 9500 switch.  The x520 NIC has been observed to randomly lose connection. I have attempted the following but the issue still persists:
- replaced the fiber cables, NIC SFPs, and Cisco switch port SFPs.
- verified cisco switch port is properly configured
- upgraded the Intel x520 driver to the latest v1.9.11
- installed the x520 on different PCI-e slots on the motherboard
- installed new x520 NICs

The Only way to regain connectivity is by resetting the NIC port from the ESX CLI.  Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this random connectivity loss?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello vellon,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using a PCIe X520 cards? If yes, can you send a photo focusing on the markings on both sides of the card.
  2. Can you provide the link of the latest driver that you are using?
  3. Did you only try fiber cables as your main connection?
  4. Please provide the brand and the model of the system.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
vellon
Beginner

Hi Michael,

1. Using PCI-e 2.0 X520-DA2, dual port, 10Gb x8 LP.  I work in a restricted lab so photos are not a possibility. 

2. Latest driver link: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI-65-INTEL-IXGBEN-19110&productId=614

3. Fiber cables is the design choice so cannot change.

4. The chassis on which the NIC is installed is a Crystal CMS-00808 (SuperMicro X11DPL-i).

The OS running on the chassis is ESXi System version 6.7.0 (Build:17700523), Update 3, Patch 143

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello vellon,

Thank you for the quick reply. Base on the details that you provided. I found 2 things that I want to share.

1. The cable the you are using is Fiber. Base on the validated cables, we recommend that you use Twin Axial cable. Please check this links for reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006754/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html
  2. And base on our supported OS, Your OS is not listed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/ethernet-products.html

Since you are using VMware OS, they have their own validation for hardware that is why they have their own driver. Have you tried checking with VMware if your hardware is validated? If yes, they should have a driver that you can use.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello vellon,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you are now contacting VMware for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
vellon
Beginner

Michael,

The fiber optic cables I have are supported by both Cisco and Intel.  Additionally, our lab has had different ESXi versions running on Crystal hardware (SuperMicro X11DPL-i) for years.  I'm currently trying to get in touch with VMWare tech support to both confirm support for SuperMicro motherboards and get their input on the NIC connectivity issues.  Please, send my way anything else you think might help resolve this.

Thank you,

vellon

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello vellon,

Thank you for the update. As far as the hardware goes, it is best to check the compatibility first. That is why it is best coordinate the issue with VMware just like what you said. Plus the cable compatibility link that I provided should help as well.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello vellon,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you are now talking to VMware to further check the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello vellon,

I hope you're having a good day. I am just sending another follow up to check if you are now talking to VMware for assistance regarding the issue. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos