Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

INTEL82599ES X520 E10G42BTDA 10Gbps Dual Port SFP+ PCI-e 2.0 X8 XPE boot problem

yrama
Beginner

Hello ,

I have problem booting from my network adapter my problem is like this :

I have motherboard with two onboard 10G network adapters (xpe boot in BIOS is disabled )

I added another cart (INTEL82599ES X520 E10G42BTDA 10Gbps) and i want to enable XPE boot from it , when i use Bootutil in order to change

card configuration to falsh : "BOOTUTIL -FE" , it writes that system needs to reboot when i reboot system i get back to default configuration (flash is disabled)

and the cart is unable to save changes i made .

Any help for me ?

Thanks in advane .

0 Kudos
10 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi yasirramadan,

Thank you for the post. Please enable the pxe boot in BIOS and disable your two onboard NIC.

You may also refer to this website for additional info about the bootutil command.

BOOTENABLE=PXE (Enables PXE and disables iSCSI/FCoE boot for legacy BIOS. )

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/bootagent/sb/cs-008212.htm Intel® Boot Agent — Intel® Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility to Upgrade, Enable, or Disable Flash

hope this helps.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
yrama
Beginner

Hello ,

thanks for answer but unfortunately it dosent work for me and i will attach printscreen for every step i did :

in step 1 : i tried -BOOTENABLE = PXE , the outpu was that this flag is only supported for combo flash

in step 2 : i tried to update flash using -UP flag , the output was that flash is unsupported

in step 3 : i tried ti enable flash usdin -FE flag , the output was that reboot system is requiered.

And here after rebooting system and trying to update ROM using -up flag so i returend back to step 2 .

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi yasirramadan,

Thank you for the info. Can you provide the serial # of the x520-da2 ? The serial number has the format of 12 alphanumeric + 5 alphanumeric + 6-3 digit.

You may refer to this site for reference http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-031543.htm Intel® Server Adapters — How to Identify the Intel® Network Adapter Model Using the Serial Number?

Please ensure the boot image file is copied into the bootable DOS,so that when you execute the command the bootimage present.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19186 Intel® Download Center

The image file BootIMG.FLB is extracted to the chosen path under \APPS\BootUtil.

Image version information can be found in .\APPS\BootUtil\iv.txt.

Please feel free to update me.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
yrama
Beginner

Hello ,

Thanks very much .

serial number is : 001B21261564 37907 E66562-003

I am still stuck in the same problem .

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Yasirramadan,

Thank you for the information. The E66562-003 is not a the part number for Intel retail network adapter. You may click on the following link and then press CTRL-F, in the search box, type in E66562, there is no match found.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-012904.htm Network Connectivity — Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapter PCI Device ID and Part Number List

It is possible your X520-DA is an OEM unit. What is your system model and does this network adapter part of your system ?

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
yrama
Beginner

Hello ,

System is like this :

I have a server which i want to use like a NAT device , on this server i want to install this adapter .server mother board is supermicro .

And now my seriel number is E66562-xxx and what is interesting or i dont know if its interesting or not i that i found serial on intel

page like this : E66561-xxx .

this is the link from where i bought this adapter :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/X520-E10G42BTGA-10Gbps-Dual-Port-SFP-PCI-e-2-0-X8-Server-Network-Adapter-INTEL82599ES-Controller/32232318294.html INTEL82599ES X520 E10G42BTDA 10Gbps Dual Port SFP+ PCI e 2.0 X8 Network Server Adapter-in Network Cards from Computer & …

And this is what i found on Intel :

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Yasirramadan,

Thank you for sharing the info. The Intel part number should be E66561-xxx (x are variable) for X520-LR1, the network adapter you have has one digit different from our part number. Let me further check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
yrama
Beginner

Hello ,

I want to ask if there is any new information ?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Yasirramadan,

Thank you for the ff up. I am still checking on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Yasirramadan,

Further checking in our lab, here is the result after updating the pxe boot using the bootutil command, Under normal condition, if the FLASH is present you should see NIC information below (in case the Flash is initially disabled ) e..g

xxxxxxxxxxxx 1:00.1 10GbE N/A FLASH Disabled

e.g. After running the bootutil -NIC=2 -fe you should see the information below (see the second NIC entry)

Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility

BootUtil version 1.5.48.0

Copyright (C) 2003-2014 Intel Corporation

Type BootUtil -? for help

Port Network Address Location Series WOL Flash Firmware Version

==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======

1 xxxxxxxxxxxx 0:25.0 Gigabit YES FLASH Not Present

2 xxxxxxxxxxxx 1:00.0 10GbE N/A PXE 2.1.70

Note: the xxxxxxxxxxxx refers to the MAC address

I would suggest you to go back to your point of purchase as the network adapter has a different part number and it seems the flash is not present.

Hop this clarifies.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos