Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4863 Discussions

IPv6 multicast flood during sleep from i217-LM

KSeve1
Beginner

There's a discussion on Dell's forums about the i217-LM causing a flood of IPv6 multicast traffic during sleep state. Is Intel aware of this issue? Is it a driver issue which has been addressed?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19523337.aspx?pi21953=1 Opti 9020s with Intel I217-LM nics causing network issues - Desktop General Hardware Forum - Desktop - Dell Community

1 Solution
Deepak_S_Intel
Employee

Yes Intel is aware of this issue. Please retest using our latest LAN driver version 19.0 release, available from our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23071 Download Center, and let us know if this driver helps resolve your issue. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABraz2
Beginner

No answer I'm afraid but I can confirm the symptoms and the cause. It's definitely the Intel i217-LM chipset that's causing the problem when the PC's go to sleep.

INTEL ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM AND IS THERE A FIX? It is a REAL issue that has the potential to kill a network and, believe me, it's not easy to track down the cause. We have spent 30+ hours on investigations to nail this problem to your chipset and it would be nice to know whether there is a fix. It seems to affect machines from all manufacturers (Dell and HP to name two) so it's not a PC manufacturer problem, it's an INTEL PROBLEM. Please provide a fix ASAP.

0 Kudos
ADavo1
Beginner

Hi,

We found *exactly* the same case on HP EliteONe 800 with I217LM Ethernet.

12machines killing totally the local area network during 15 minutes once a day !

See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/945125a7-035f-4f33-a9d2-c274717d7706/icmpv6-multicast-listener-report-messages-are-flooding-the-local-network?forum=w7itpronetworking ICMPv6 &# 39;Multicast Listener Report&# 39; messages are flooding the local network

Answer of Microsoft is : change Ethernet card or turn off IPv6 or turn off sleeping state ! But it does only mask the REAL problem.

PLEASE Intel, could you give information about this issue ?

Antoine Davous

0 Kudos
Deepak_S_Intel
Employee

Yes Intel is aware of this issue. Please retest using our latest LAN driver version 19.0 release, available from our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23071 Download Center, and let us know if this driver helps resolve your issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
HAlbi
Beginner

I have the same problem with Intel I217-LM NIC. I am using Win 7 64 bit OS and am looking for the driver update to fix the problem with ICMPv6 multicast listener flooding. All I see is the drivers for Win 8. Can you point me in the right direction please. I initiated the temporary fixes of disabling IPV6 and Wake on LAN...

0 Kudos
HIT-S
Beginner

We have the same Issue with the l219, and yes we tried the latest Driver. Is there another solution ?

0 Kudos
HIT-S
Beginner

there is the same Problem with the I219-LM and I219-V network interfaces, when the Machines going to sleep. They massivly flood the Network with ipv6-Multicast. I tried the latest Driver, but nothing changed. I have ~450 clients in the Network and just some of them have this Problem. Why is that, and why do the nics have the same issue like 5 Jears ago?

0 Kudos
TuomasRFIN
Beginner

Hello all,

we have also encountered this problem that HP Prodesk 600 G3 devices with Intel I219-LM network adapter are causing broadcast storms randomly around network. The only solution we have found is to disable the network port on a switch for a few minutes and after bringing it back this problem usually does not reappear on that machine.

We can see the traffic caused by I219-LM adapter as "Non unicast traffic" in the network and the packet amount is always 4020 packets per second which causes cpu load on several switches and also a "small" amount of network traffic (around 2-10Mbps).

Do any of you have any solution to this? Could disabling ipv6 on TCP/IP adapter on Windows 10 solve this or do we need to do other procedures?

0 Kudos