Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

IPv6 multicast flood during sleep from i217-LM

BHelp
Beginner

We have a number of HP devices with the i217-LM network adapter. When they go to sleep they appear to flood the network with ICMPv6 "Multicast Listener Report".

There was another thread closed with this same problem:

Recommendation was to update to version 19 or higher driver and a link provided to the Windows 8 download. We have a mixture of Windows 7 32 and 64 bit clients. We have downloaded the version 20 drivers for Windows 7 and installed to the machines but issue still appears to be occurring. Short term fix appears to be to stop the machine from going to sleep and disabling all power saving and WoL features. Not ideal.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-

Does anyone else have this issue and is there an update from Intel that will fix this problem? We're currently experiencing intermittent network disconnections multiple times a day for all clients on a particular segment and these ICMPv6 packets are highly suspect. The users operate in an environment where their machines could be left for long periods idling and thus going to sleep.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi BCDSHelpdesk,

Thank you for the post. We will check on this. Can you provide what are the HP system model having this issue?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AFerr10
Beginner

Good morning,

We have the same problem with some Lenovo M93p.

Intel have some feedback about this issue???

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi AFF,

We are checking on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
BHelp
Beginner

Unfortunately I don't have direct access to these clients currently. I'm not sure that this is specific to HP devices, i've seen reports from Dell devices as well (not on our network but on the net). Just seems to be this specific NIC.

We applied a group policy to all the machines to set their power profile to high performance and disable any kind of sleep/hibernation and since then i've not had a single drop out in 2 days.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi BCDhelpdesk,

Thank you for the update. Please help monitor and update us if the issue persist.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AFerr10
Beginner

Hi,

As far as I know, Dell drivers have a workaround for this issue. They delete all ipv6 configurations from the driver, but this still isn't a proper fix to the issue.

Intel has to find a solution for this bug on in Intel I2xx/825xx. I think this problem was found about one year ago.

I try to simulate on lab this situation with 2 or 3 machines, and doesn't detect any problem. For what I read, others try and have the same result, but with 12 machines the problem start to appears.

My customer tell me this issue push their cpu switch to 100% and drops the network(only with 6 machines on sleep)

My question is why this huge ICMPv6 packets on sleep???

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi AFF,

Thank you for the additional info. we will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi BCDSHelpdesk,

Please get in touch with HP for the latest driver as this is a known issue.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos