Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4867 Discussions

Installed a EXPI9302CT Network Adapter - What causes "Connection Status: Failed" & "Cable Link Status: Failed" and everything else passed but it does not work?

LFren1
Beginner

I have a Dell Vostro with Intel Quad 4 i3 processor. It has Win pro 7 (64-bit). The wired network adapter failed and so I replaced it with an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK (82574).

With the new network adapter I cannot connect to the internet. I have reinstalled the driver a couple of times. The driver is called PROWinx64.exe on the flash drive and Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter Driver Version 12.7.28.0 in the device manager under Network adapters. I have disabled the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I've actually physically removed and re-installed the adapter to make sure the contacts were all making good contact. The CAT 5 cables I'm working with to connect to the internet are the same as the ones I use with the other computer and they work fine. I've tried different ports on the router. All the ports work fine on the other computer - so that not the problem.

So when testing under Desktop Adapter Properties - Diagnostics - everything passes except the two as described in the question. ("Connection Status: Failed" & "Cable Link Status: Failed")

So what did I miss or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all help!

Frenchie2

0 Kudos
10 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Frenchie2,

Thank you for the post and the detail testing.What you can do is the check the responding link partner, make sure the duplex mode and speed setting on the adapter matches the setting on the switch or router.

Have you tried installing the network adapter on another system to test?

Is an IP address obtained or assigned to the network adapter?

Try changing another cable to test, I understand the cable works fine.

Try download and install the latest driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-

Hope the above helps

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
LFren1
Beginner

Thank you for your feedback. I have already done some that you suggested. Some I don't understand how to do what you're saying I should do.

I've tried two different Ethernet cables (both worked on another computer).

Thank you for clarifying the correct driver to use. I think I used the correct one (I downloaded it twice and tried a couple of times to get it to work). As I said in my question/description it was titled PROWinx64.exe on the flash drive download. It was referred to as Intel Gigabit desktop Adapter Driver Version 12.7.28.0 in the device driver under network adapters. I think this is the exact one that you had a link to, for me to use. Did I get this correct?

You said "What you can do is the check the responding link partner, make sure the duplex mode and speed setting on the adapter matches the setting on the switch or router." I am not sure what this means or even how to do what your suggesting.

I haven't tried the Network card in a different computer. I'm not too eager to take another computer apart but I will if your other option 2 doesn't fix it.

I don't know the answer to your second question. Is an IP address obtained or assigned to the network adapter? How would I find the answer to that one?

I've used two different cables - and both worked on another computer.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Frenchie2,

The responding link partner is the switch where you connected the network adapter to. Please check with the switch vendor the the configuration on the switch.

The IP address can be either assigned manually or obtained from your switch or rotuer which had DHCP services that supply IP to the network adapter.

If you can borrow another system to test ,that is one option to isolate the issue. If the issue still persist,, you may want to check with the point of purchase if there is hardware failure on this network adapter.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
LFren1
Beginner

Hey there WB,

Thank you so much. Since I didn't know how to answer a couple of your questions - actually I didn't even know what you meant - (nothing personal, I just don't know a lot about the inner workings of the computer) I contacted the vendor of the network adapter and he is sending me another one.

I'll see how that works as soon as I get it. I'll let you know. (If it doesn't work, I might have to have your explain simple steps to check out your suggestions.) Thank you so much for your willingness to help me. You are very kind.

Larry

0 Kudos
LFren1
Beginner

Hi WB,

I installed the new network adapter and it did exactly the same thing. Okay, if you don't mind ... would you explain in simple terms .. how to do " The responding link partner is the switch where you connected the network adapter to. Please check with the switch vendor the the configuration on the switch." and then the second suggestion you gave "The IP address can be either assigned manually or obtained from your switch or rotuer which had DHCP services that supply IP to the network adapter." How do you do these two things?

I was also wondering is there a way to test the original network adapter that is built into the mother board - to see if that really is the problem or not? What do you think?

Again any help is sure appreciated.

Larry

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Frenchie2,

Good day. With regards to the switch configuration, you need to check with the switch vendor if the switch port has any setting, If there is none, then you just need to connect the cable from the network adapter port to the switch port to test. If you have spare computer to test, you may check if the other computer works fine on the same switch.

Just to double checvk when you said you cannot connect to the internet, are you referring your network adapter connects to the router (provided by the Internet servcie provider) and you are not getting any internet connection? If that is the case, you need to check the router ,contact the internet service provider.

With regards to the IP, normally when you connect your network adapter to a router, the router has DHCP services which provides IP address to the device that connects to it, you can set the network adapter TCP/IP setting to obtain IP address automatically on your CT network adapter, you may refer to this third party website http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings# 1TC=windows-7 Change TCP/IP settings - Windows Help (note: this site is provided here for your referenence, Intel is not endorsing this website and has no control over the content).

For the onboard network adapter built-in your motherboard, please contact the board vendor for them to further assist you as they are in best position to tackle the built-in network on their system.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
LFren1
Beginner

Well WB, again - thank you very much for your efforts to help. I don't know what a "switch configuration" means. And I have no idea who the switch vendor might be. How do I determine these issues related to the "switch"?

Regarding the internet connection to the router, I have a replacement computer that has an Ethernet wired connection to the same router and it works fine. I've tried different ports and different cables (all that work fine on the other computer). So I don't get the impression that it has anything to do with the router.

So could you say the comment about the IP a different way? I know that each computer has an IP and that's about all I know. What does it mean the router has DHCP services which provides IP .....

I so much appreciate your patience with me trying to figure this out. If (I know that's a big "if") someone could log onto the computer, could the problem be quickly identified?

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Frenchie2,

Thank you for the reply. You can also check with Dell the system vendor as they are the one to check if there is compatibility issue this network adapter with their system. You can also contact your internet service provider to check on the internet setting. Possibly more of a comfiguration issue since you already replaced the network adapter.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
LFren1
Beginner

Okay, WB - again thank you - I say Okay with a sigh ... just thinking about trying to get in touch with someone from Dell that can answer this question. I understand they are the only ones that will likely know the compatibility concerns. The fellow that I bought the computer from (and he sells a lot of Dell computers) is the one that told me to buy this Intel network adapter and said it was very simple to install and worked well with this computer.

So now that that hasn't panned out like he said - I will start the process of getting in touch with Dell. I have asked him for help and he said he couldn't help and to "give Intel a call". So that's how I found this Intel community support post.

Thank you again for hanging in there with me.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Larry

0 Kudos
LFren1
Beginner

Hi WB,

Are you familiar with Tweaking? The free computer repair program that tries to fix everything. Well, I ran that on the computer and low and behold the Realtek (the original adapter) started working. I'm not sure what exactly it fixed but it works now and I don't even need the Intel adapter.

I wanted to thank you for your kindness and efforts a trying to help me.

Larry

0 Kudos