Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Installing driver 23.2 freezes Windows 10

DLamm
Beginner

When I try to install the newest NIC driver 23.2 on my Windows 1803 X64 system the system freezes just after the installation start. What goes wrong ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Dirk_intel,

I understand that you are having problems installing the NIC driver.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
DLamm
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. See attached file.

Dirk

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dirk_intel,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to know where you are trying to get the driver from. Where are you downloading it from? Also, please provide me with the model of your motherboard so we can have more information and pinpoint the root of the problem.

sgeh,

Thank you for your input, we are currently reviewing this to see what could be the problem, there are no known issues but I will keep you posted.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
DLamm
Beginner

I am donwloading the driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack Download Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

My mainbord is an Asrock Z97 Extreme 6. Beside the on-board Intel NIC I installed a second Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

Dirk

0 Kudos
DLamm
Beginner

Any progression yet ?

Dirk

0 Kudos
SGehr
Beginner

@David

I've just replaced my 7260 with a brandnew 9260 chip resulting in the same issue. Are there already any findings on the driver installation bug?

0 Kudos
SGehr
Beginner

The issues are caused by obsolete http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?item=118 Asmedia ASM1061 controller drivers (3.1.9.0 dated in 2015), which come with https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Asmedia%20106x%20 Windows 10 1803. After installing the latest https://www.google.com/search?q=Asmedia%20ASM-106x%20Sata%206G%20controller%20Drivers%20Version%203.2.3.0%20WHQL Asmedia ASM-106x Sata 6G controller Drivers Version 3.2.3.0 WHQL drivers, I was able to install all Intel (Net / Wifi / BT) drivers without any system freeze.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One should always be very concerned and cautious when downloading drivers from 3rd party sites. It is ALWAYS best to go straight to the manufacturer for a driver. There is no way of knowing what payload such a third party source may contain.

Doc

0 Kudos
SGehr
Beginner

Nice words, Al. So would you like to provide us a link from ASUS/ASRock, where we can download the newest ASMedia driver software, please?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If it is not available from the manufacturer, there is a reason. That being the case does not justify using some driver hoarder who may or may not have modified the install package.

And, yes, they are nice words and very important.

By the way, I noticed you have modified the link.

Doc

0 Kudos
SGehr
Beginner

Al, thanks for your feedback and your valued input. I've just adjusted the solution to help people to get rid of those annoying system freezes.

0 Kudos
SGehr
Beginner

The same issue here. I installed Windows 10 1803 from scratch with the same result: Intel NIC drivers freeze during installation. To identify the problem, I tried to remove everything out of my computer except the essential components but with no luck.

Installing other Intel driver framework based software packages such as the Intel BT Wireless software end up also in a system freeze.

My system configuration:

• ASUS Maximus Hero VII (Z97 Chipset with an integrated Intel® I218V)
  • Intel Core i7 5775C
  • Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
  • HP Intel 7260 PCIe extension card based on Intel 7260.HMWWB.R .

After a little research on the internet, I've found out that other people with older mainboard chipsets (such as Z97) are reporting similar problems.

0 Kudos
SGehr
Beginner

@Dirk:

Interesting, you're also running an Z97 chipset ( Intel(R) Z97 Chipset LPC Controller - 8CC4 ) and encounter those problems.

@David V:

Is there a known bug within the Intel driver installation framework? As I can see, Windows itself already installs the latest drivers (e.g. 19.41.0.1 for BT 7260). But when manually running the Intel Setup procedures on Windows 10 1803 (with latest patches) the OS freezes.

0 Kudos