Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel 10Gbit Card X540-T1 changes its Hardware ID?

biza
Beginner

Hi,

we have bought 3 of these expensive cards and for the second time now the following has happened:

these cards came as

PCI\VEN_8086\DEV_1528\&SUBSYS_00028086

and the installation of the the newest Win7 64bit drivers 20.3 went just fine and the network card worked

perfectly. The problem now is, once the PC shut down/cold booted the network disappeared and instead

an unknown ethernet controller is found by the device manager listed as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086\DEV_1512\&SUBSYS_00008086

It is then of course not possible anymore to install any driver for it, not even manually

inserting DEV_1512 into the .inf file works (device cannot be started code 10). Also

the Ctrl-S dialog to get into the card doesn't come up anymore after the Bios screen.

It looks as if the card is brain dead or several bits flipped or whatever.

This is now the second time under Win7 64bit with an HP 8100 Workstation. Under

Win81 64bit on a 2 Dell workstations the cards work very well even after several

complete shutdowns.

What can we do? Why and how does this happen? I have already RMA'd one card

and got a replacement but now the same is happening again and we can not believe

what we see. Hardware ID's are changing, how's that possible, what's going on??

What should we do with this, does anyone have any idea how this can be fixed???

Any help please? Thank you!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi bakiza,

Thank you for the info. Can you share what is the serial number of this network adapter? Thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi bakiza,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

In order for us to further investigate this issue, please provide us your adapter's serial number. And regarding the card replacement, where did you have it replaced?

We look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
biza
Beginner

Hi Sandy / wb,

first things first: thanks for replying! :-)

hmm, serial number, where do I find that? There's the MAC address plus 5 digits/numbers plus that

"model code" G54042-005 on one wider sticker on the side with the sink and on the other side

there's that verify.yottamark.com sticker plus another smaller sticker with bar codes and a number

927235. Is that the serial number?

As for where I got it replaced: do I have to post the name of the company here? I'd rather not.

But it's the same supplier we're buying most of our network equipment from for many years and

we're very happy with them. :-) It's a well known company in Hamburg, but I'll refer THEM to this

thread of course if I can get some help here :-)

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi bakiza,

Thank you for the info. You don't have to post the name of your point of purchase here. You mentioned there is Yottamark on the NIC, you may verify the NICs by visiting http://verify.yottamark.com/ http://verify.yottamark.com then enter the 6 groups of 4 digits number written on your Yottamark label to check the NIC.

Please update me the result. Thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
Cailan_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Is this issue still open? If not, can you please post some details on resolution or contact me?

Thanks,

Cailan

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Cailan,

I am sorry but I havent heard further update from Bakiza, We advised him to check the Yottamark result and alos we need his complete serial number for further checking/

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, I am seeing a similar issue and have seen it with both X540-T1 and X540-T2 cards. We are shipping both of these cards and the PNPID always changes from

PCI\VEN_8086\DEV_1528\xxxxx

TO:

PCI\VEN_8086\DEV_1512\xxxxxx

As was seen by Bakiza.. The first card we thought was a fluke but now it is happening several times. How is this happening?

Where would I find the X540-T1 serial? There are several stickers on the card?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Note I have just checked our NICS from the Yottamark website and the code was verified.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Adam Crouch,

Thank you for the update. You can refer to this website on how to locate the serial number:

http://www3.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-031176.htm# Lnp Warranty Services — AA, TA, SA or PBA Numbers

The complete serial number format is 12 alphanumeric + 5 alphanumeric + 6 alphanumberoc-3 digits

Please feel free to update for us to further check.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Serial is

A0369F52EC0A374ADG54042-005

Removing the first 6:

52EC0A374ADG54042-005

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI Adam Crouch,

Thank you for the information. We will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Bakiza,

Please help by providing SSU log file for further investigation, you may download the SSU tool here at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility to scan your system to obtain the log. Please refer to the http://www.intel.com/support/software/applications/ssu/sb/CS-035778.htm Intel® System Support Utility — Intel® System Support Utility Help Guide for more detail.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wb, i know your message say 'in reponse to bakiza' but not sure if it was meant for me.

Any way IF it was meant for me there is now ay I can run the utility because the PNPID is bad. IE I can't install the driver to support it as the driver software can't see the card because the PNPID is wrong.

Thanks

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the clarification. I will check on this.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Adam,

I am not sure if you are using the same system as Bakiza, if yes, can you help check if you install the NIC on the Win 7 system on Dell workstation,

will you be encountering the same issue? Based on Bakiza's info, the issue occurred on HP8100 workstation and did not occur on Win 8.1 OS Dell system.

If you have a different workstation model, please share the detail and the OS used to further check.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, actually we are using all Intel Motherboards.

We have ran this card in two motherboards the S2600WT and he S2600KP. We previously saw this issue with Windows 2012 R2 in the S2600WT, we RMA'd the card and thought it was a fluke but now are seeing it again with the S2600KP and Windows 7 Embedded.

It is becoming an issue not just a one off. We do have several units that the card is working fine but we believe it is only a matter of time before we see more cards with this issue and would like to find root cause to assure it won't happen again.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Adam_Crouch,

Thank you for the additional info provided. We will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Adam Crouch,

Just to double check if you have tried below latest driver version 20.4? Please feel free to update me the result. Thank you.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23073/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2012-R2- Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows Server 2012 R2*

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
biza
Beginner

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. But I don't see much point in verifying shiny Intel stickers, no doubt these are genuine NW cards ...

Also I sent wb and Sandy the MAC of our defunct card via PM because nobody replied to my question where to

find the "serial no" or which one of all the umbers it is.

Anyway, it's easy to find out by googling that once there was a case where a linux kernel destroyed the brain of

another series of Intel network cards, but that could be fixed by loading the working ROM from working card and

writing it back to the (half) braindead card fixed it...

Also Intel doesn't provide 20.4 drivers for Win 8(.1) or Win7, which is what we use here. No stupid Windoze 10,

we are admins and don't have time to play M$ new OS nonsense games again now, Win8/Win7/Win12 is

running just fine. Nevertheless, we use vmware and don't have many physical servers with Win2012(R2) and

not the time either to test the 20.4 driver on any server ...

So because it took too long already we have RMA'd our dead card again and we're now waiting for a new Win7/8

64bit driver to be released, only then I'll test again ... Thank you!

-bakiza

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Bakiza,

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry to hear what happened I did post before where to check the Yottamark marking. Anyway, We are checking on this and thank you for the additional input.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos