Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Intel 82571EB Quad Port

EPool1
Beginner

OK, I'm running CentOS Linux 6.9 x86_64, on a ASUS MB with a Intel Core I7-5820(?) with 64 GB RAM. My storage is 2 - 120 GB PNY SSD and 2 - WD 4TB Black with everything setup as software raid1.

I've been having some hardware error issues and the machine would terminate, so this came up after almost all of those errors were corrected.

On a warm boot (i.e. after upgrading from 6.8 to 6.9) I noticed that I'm getting a message 'Initialization Delayed) on the NIC card which causes the virtualization to fail (ifcfg-br0 and ifcfg-br1 are assigned to ports 3 and 4 on the 82571 NIC). Everything works just great on a cold boot.

What can I do to correct this? Is there a parameter I can set to get this to work on a warm boot? Should I remove this card and get a replacement? What should I replace it with?

TIA

Gene

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the post. Just to double check if the 82571 quad port NIC you have refers to the PRO 1000 PT quad port serve adapter? If this is the model you refer to, We do not have official Centos driver for this model

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50496/Intel-PRO-1000-PT-Quad-Port-Server-Adapter

Can you help double check as the ethernet controller is different.

Have you tried testing this network adapter in other system?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
EPool1
Beginner

When I run the lspci command, I see the following:

05:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

05:00.1 (Same message as above)

06:00.0 (Same message as above)

06:00.1 (Same message as above)

Is this 1 message for each port?

I need a 4-port NIC, is there another that is supported on the Linux platform?

I must say, with this machine and it's add-ons is the first time I've had any issues with Intel hardware. But this is the first custom built Intel machine I've ever had.

TIA

Gene

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the reply. This looks like an onboard NIC on a system, what is the brand and model of your system?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
EPool1
Beginner

This is a custom machine built by Micro Center. It was built with the understanding that it would be running CentOS Linux only (their technicians know Windows but not Linux) so I think that Windows was used to test the machine.

The hardware is ASUS X99 Extreme 4 Motherboard with a Intel Core I7-5820(?) with 64 GB RAM. My storage is 2 - 120 GB PNY SSD and 2 - WD 4TB Black with everything setup as software raid1. The video card is a MSI nVidia GeForce 610. Key requirements were 2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse) VGA output for my KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch.

I added the Intel 82571EB after taking ownership of the hardware. I need this card for:

On-board gigabit NIC (eth0) - the connection to the standard network where all the other machines talk and there is a internet connection

Intel 82571EB - Port 1 (eth1) - Used to connect to the Oracle DB instance

Intel 82571EB - Port 2 (eth2) - Used to connect to my server NAS

Intel 82571EB - Port 3 (eth3) - defined as br0 (network bridge connection 0) to support KVM virtualization

Intel 82571EB - Port 4 (eth4) - defined as br1 (network bridge connection 1) to support KVM virtualization

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the clarification. As this is customized board on Asus*, it is recommended you contact the board vendor to check the compatibility of the ethernet controller on the board and Asus* is in better position to provide further support on the added components on their designed board.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
EPool1
Beginner

OK, I was wrong about the manufacture of the motherboard. I said it was ASUS, it is ASRock. I've contacted ASRock and they have had me update the BIOS (UEFI) to the latest release (this is normal, all vendors do that). So the BIOS level has been raised from P2.10 to P3.60. I am still having the same issue wit the warm boot. I'll let you know what they have me do next.

I see the the 82572EB is not a current card. What is the latest quad port card that uses the same slot as the 82571EB?

TIA

Gene

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the update. 82571EB Quad port server adapter was launched way back

year 2007. Please refer to the quad port server adapter like the I350 or i340 series in the website below:

https://ark.intel.com/products/family/46829/Intel-Gigabit-Server-Adapters

However, these network adapters were launched few years ago. Please refer to the specification if the network adapter can meet your requirement.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
EPool1
Beginner

The card shows all signs of working correctly so I am going to hold off on replacing it - for now. The main reason for this is that ASRock wants me to RMA the motherboard for a brand new replacement (they offered no explanation as to why).

I explained that I have built several machines using ASRock motherboards without any incident, but this was my first Intel based machine.

TIA

Gene

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the update. Good to know that card shows signs of working correctly.

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos