Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel 82576 Dual-Port Gigabit card, Team and FTP Client

idata
Employee

I have purchased the card (AOC-SG-I4) from Supermicro in the UK who have passed this buck to Intel.

I have installed the card, on a Microsoft 2003 server with the latest drivers (15.3) and a Netgear GS724T switch.

I have an application which is using the Microsoft FTP client software to communicate with a web based FTP server, this application works correctly when I have not created any team

When I create a SLA team I get a communication error with the FTP server.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for my problem or a configuration setting that I can try ?

Thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

There should be no issues that I am aware of.

What kind of team have you configured? Have you configured the switch to corrospond to that team?

idata
Employee

Hi Patrick,

I had configured the switch for a Link Aggregated Group, the team switch test accepted the configuration was correct for the team.

I had configured Static Link Aggregation.

The problem may be due to the way FTP works via the command interpreter, HTML FTP works correctly.

Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Is this some kind fo special FTP application? The teaming is done at a lower level of the network stack, so your applications sould be seamless and work regardless, just as it is for you with HTTP and HTTP-FTP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is not a special application, I can test the from a command prompt, by connecting to an external ftp server.

Once I have connected and logged on, I issue a dir command and the session freezes.

I can sometimes get a 425 error if I close the session via the red cross

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

This souds suspicously like a firewall issue on your server. I'm not a FTP expert, however if memory serves when you login it uses one 'sesson' or port and then after that everything else (like doing a dir etc.) is over another port.

.. just did a search and found an article that looks just like what you are experiencing:

http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/windows-xp-networking-discussion/t-command-line-ftp-session-hangs-with-dir-532069.html http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/windows-xp-networking-discussion/t-command-line-ftp-session-hangs-with-dir-532069.html

Maybe take a look at this and see if helps you out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for that info, I have not been able to test it yet - I will do as soon as possible.

There is no firewall involved and FTP is in active mode, which would suggest that the initial request is using 1 member of the team and being returned through another member of the team and being rejected.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

That was my 1st thought as well, however you indicated that the switch was also properly configured, in which case the traffic would only be passed from the switch on a single port. From a swtich/ethernet controller perspective there is no difference between FTP traffic or HTTP etc. Which is what leads me to believe this is likely an app or OS level challenge.

I believe the article I referred to suggested putting ftp in passive mode and see if that works. I look forward to hearing your results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I suspect that it is at OS level, I will hopefully be able to test sometime next week - once I have arranged some downtime at my clients site.

I will be able to test the passive mode FTP, I have been informed that the customer's FTP client software only works in active mode.

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Was wondering if you had anything to share with us regarding your tests?

- Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Patrick,

I have not had an opportunity to test it yet.

Dave

0 Kudos