Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel 82579-V Gigabit Speed Issue

DVong1
Beginner

An online speed test of one computer hardwired to the Internet has less than half the speed as another computer hardwired to the Internet. The second computer in wireless mode is still over twice as fast as the first one that is hardwired. I suspect the network settings of the first are incorrectly configured to cause this degradation in speed but I have no idea what that could be.

Background:

My ISP bumped everyone up from 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps on December 3. All that was necessary to do was turn off the modem (Hitron CGNM-2250) for 30 seconds and wait for it to establish a connection again.

The "slower" desktop PC was custom built about 5 years ago. Its Asus PZ77-V motherboard has an Intel 82579-V Gigabit Network Connection built onto it. This adapter has been "uninstalled" and "reinstalled" using the latest drivers from Intel. The second computer is a Surface Pro 4 with a Marvell AVSTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller. Both run the latest updates of Windows 10 Pro using only Windows Defender for antivirus. There is no difference in the firewall. The startup apps of each are different but I don't think any would cause the speed issue unless there are some obvious gotchas that someone can suggest. The primary hard drives for both are 500 GB SSD and each system has 16 GB RAM. 

The desktop PC is connected directly to the modem with an Ethernet 6 cable. From it, I am expecting the advertised 300 Mbps, but I barely get 130 Mbps. The Surface gets the advertised 300 Mbps if it's connected wirelessly through an Asus RT-AC68U (AC1900 Dual Band 802.11ac Gigabit) router or wired to the router with an Ethernet 5e cable using a USB 3 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

The speed issue on the PC presented itself as soon as I power cycled the modem, restarted and checked the speeds on all my devices using speedtest.net. I have reset to factory conditions both the modem and router without any difference.

I suspect this is software related in that the network settings on the PC are different than that of the Surface. I have gone through the adapter properties and Network and Sharing but I don't know what could be changed to resolve this issues without potentially making it worse. On several occasions, suggested troubleshooters couldn't identify the problem which is of no help to me. My last resort is to buy a dedicated LAN card but I'm not sure that will fix the problem and I really don't want the extra expense if I don't have to.

I hope this gives everyone a better idea of what I'm up against. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm somewhat leery of doing an in-place update or repair of WIndows for fear that something will mess up and I'll be faced with a 3-day task of a clean install with dozens of apps and updates, but I will do this as an absolute last resort if I can be guaranteed the 300 Mbps from my existing PC hardware.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Dvong1, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Since the Intel 82579-V is integrated into the motherboard we recommend checking with Asus if there are any known issues on their end, or any compatibility issues. Have you tried swapping the cables on the Asus and Surface to see if this is an issue with the cable? Also try other ports on the modem, and verify both connections are set to auto-negotiation. Please provide a System Support Utility log, and attach the log to a post. I will include a download link below. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
aamirafridi
Beginner

i have issue connecting to auto negotiation, can you please fix this for me asap??

0 Kudos
DVong1
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

I have contacted Asus via their online chat and they were unaware of any known compatibility issues. I have also tried numerous combination of cables and ports, all without success. I'm not sure how to set auto-negotiation if it isn't already set.

I've attached a zip file containing the results from SSU.exe. In it is also a screen shot from the application exception, where clicking Abort and Retry each 3 times produced the same error. Only after clicking Ignore twice did the application continue to the end.

I hope this info is helpful to you in resolving my networking issue. I have a feeling something may be misconfigured in the networking properties that only a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Pro can resolve. I'm hoping that's not the case.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Dvong1, Thank you for the SSU log. Please disable "Low power" in the power management tab of the adapter in device manager. This may require a reboot before any noticeable change. Currently the 82579V connection is using an in-box driver from Microsoft. Try to uninstall 23.4 drivers and software, and install the OEM driver from Asus. The OEM driver is recommended for integrated controllers. Auto-negotiation should be the default setting, but you may have to disable "low power" after re-installing. You can also try driver and software pack 23.5 if that doesn't work. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=52963 Please check with your ISP or modem manufacturer as well. The Surface connects to a router rather than the modem directly. If you connect it to the modem directly does it still have 300Mbps? Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Dvong1, Let us know if the provided steps have helped you get the desired results. If you still need assistance please let us know. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
DVong1
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

The installation any version of the OEM driver did not solve the problem. I got a new advanced modem from my ISP and all I could get was 160 to 180 Mbps. As my last resort, I rebuilt the system from scratch with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. With the new modem in bridge mode and my router simply reset and configured with my desired network name, etc, I am now getting the expected download speed of 300+ Mbps. I checked the speed again after each major software install such as Microsoft Office and the Adobe creative Cloud suite which require logging in for their subscriptions. I will continue to check the speed after I install my other applications to see if there might be one that adversely affects the speed but I have my doubts any of them will be a problem as the majority of them have no access to the Internet or very little at most.

It seems to be as I suspected—there was some obscure setting in the network adapter configuration or perhaps some registry setting that may have adversely affected the download speed. If there is anything that reduces download speed during my continued system rebuild, I will certainly pass it along so that you may add it to your suggestions of things to try for anyone else who may encounter a similar problem.

This ticket can be closed.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Dvong1, Thank you for the reply. Glad you were able to get the expected connection speed. Let us know if any other questions come up. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Gigipo
Beginner

Hi ,

i have the same problem of Dvong1.

The speed of my 82579 Ethernet ( bulit-in in msi motherboard ) is set to 100Mbps. Now i got a 1Gb internet connection but wont transfer up to 95Mbps ( correctly for the setting ).

My OS is win 10 64bit ( 19042.746 ) installed from scratch  in 07/01/2021.

The curious thing is that if i try to install last driver ( that now are 25.5 ) the installation stop with the message : "no intel card present in the computer" !!!

Anyone can help me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AndreiH
Beginner
Hello,

I have the same problem with my internet speed and this network intel chipset. The speed is 500 instead of 1 gigabit, no mater what settings i do. I've tried different drivers and none of them are working. For shure is a driver problem, other devices on my network run at full gigabit speed. Maybe something is limited from the driver.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Filgor
Beginner

Same problem here :

Asus P8Z77-V PRO with 82579V card with 6a ethernet cable

card connexion known at 100MB/s (TX-FD 100) instead of 1GB/s (T-FD 1000)

OS is win10 64bits up to date

driver is 2018-6-12 version 12.17.10.8

tried install last official intel 26.3 but it shows it does not find driver

card is described like a 1GB/s in specs, strange...

0 Kudos
Filgor
Beginner

SOLVED : with a test tool, ethernet cable showed 2 deads pairs. Cable wat partially cut in the wall (a new cable in a new home !)

=> cable changed, speed is 1GB !

0 Kudos