Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Intel® 82579LM UDP multicast packetloss

IKazi
Beginner

I currently have a high speed trading network setup and the machines that have the Intel® 82579LM integrated are experiencing insane packetloss. Started off with 2000 packets lost per 10 minutes. I have tried all the solutions suggested within the previous threads about this issue. I have updated the BIOS. The machines we use are HP - z220(230). Any machines that use a different model of intel NIC`s dont experience this problem. I have installed the latest drivers and Tweaked the power options on the nics down to nothing. I also increased the input and output buffer size to the maximum setting which does give me a smaller packet loss rate (70 packets per 10 min) but its still not good enough as this is a trading network we cannont afford packet loss. I have done extensive troubleshooting on our network and the CISCO switches we use. They are all in top shape . The issue is within the Intel® 82579LM nic itself and how it reacts to UDP multicast traffic.

Any suggestions i can implement to lessen the packet loss count on the network? with so many of those nics on the floor im dropping rougly 900000 packets a day it is way to much.

P.S. Just as an example the Intel I217-LM in the last 24 hours has dropped 15 packets comparing to the Intel® 82579LM dropping roughly 9-10k packets per 24 hours.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IKazi
Beginner

Any suggestions from the INTEL moderators? Post sitting idle for 2 days with 60 views and no answers...

0 Kudos
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi ikazimirs, have you tried tweaking the offloading options and interrupt moderation. in some scenarios, these two parameters helped in connectivity issues.

0 Kudos
IKazi
Beginner

The current offloading options are all checked and the current interrupt moderation is set to enabled. All of these are set for maximum network performance or am i wrong here?

0 Kudos
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

These setting would help offload some of the work from CPU to the NIC, in my recent experience with network issues - disconnection, packet loss, turning them off actually helped.

There's also latest network driver package in downloadcenter.intel.com, in case you still haven't use it yet, please try it out.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=82579LM https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=82579LM

0 Kudos
IKazi
Beginner

ok thanks i will try to untick them all and switch off interrupt moderation and will come back with results as i have to run the machine for 10-30 min to see decent results.

Also thanks for the Driver link that was one of the first things i did to download that driver.

0 Kudos
IKazi
Beginner

Nop sorry but that did not help the loss is similar if not worse. any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi ikazimirs, let me check your issue internally, it might be related to the low power link (K1) state. For troubleshooting purposes, force the speed to 1.0Gbps full duplex instead of Auto-negotiation, if issue persist, try out 100mbps and In your system BIOS, turn off any power saving features for CPU.

By the way, can you share details of your operating system.

0 Kudos
IKazi
Beginner

It is windows 7 sorry about that.I have tried forcing 1GB full duplex on both ends(the switch and the machine) to no avail. 100mbps is not an option as it would not cover the data we transfer here in necessary time, I will have a dabble with the BIOS power settings but i doubt it as i have 35 Hp-Z220 and 230`s and only the ones with that particular NIC have the problem.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi ikazimirs,

What is the BIOS version on your HP z220? Please try update the BIOS to latest version.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
IKazi
Beginner

Hey Guys,

been away over Christmas we are still facing the issue with the nic. I have taken out 3 of the worst machines for testing. I have run full updates - drivers - bios - window.

More about the network:

We have a server that monitors all traffic as it forwards it to an external software vendor. On that server we can see all retransmissions sent to it and from it. It appears that alot of the machines have trouble receiving larg amounts of packets. I have increased the receive and transmit buffers to 2048 which has improved the packet loss by 60% its great but not good enough.

Now that all else has been tested and to rule out the NIC configuratin, would you guys in intel be able to provide me with an optimal setting module on NIC`s for a multicast environment?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi ikazimirs,

we will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Ikazimirs,

Please try the following suggestions see if could be of some help:

1) Please try install the newer drive version 20 downloadable at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-

2) Can you try connectinh the network adapter to other switch ports which you tested with i217-LM (as you mentioned there is no issue using i217-LM)

3) What are the other network adapter you have tested and did not encountered the said issue? Can you give the exact model?

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi ikazimirs,

Do you have any update for the test result? Please feel free to update me.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos