Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4874 Discussions

Intel 82579LM drops to 10Mbps from Gigabit, refuses to go back

idata
Employee

Ive got the Intel DQ67EP board with the Intel 82579LM onboard NIC. Ive got the machine running Windows7 64bit. Ive got this problem where randomly it drops from Gigabit to 10Mbps and will never negoiate back to gigabit. I can disconnect the cable, reconnect it, dont work. I can plug that same cable into another machine like my Lenovo T420 laptop, and it has no issues connecting gigabit, so I know its not the cable, or port, or Hub. However still plugged into a different port of the hub, still dont work. Plugged it into a different hub, still dont work, still keeps sitting at 10Mbps.

Ive rebooted it, still negoiates at 10Mbps. Shut the PC down, wait 1min, turn it on, still sitting at 10Mbps. So at this point dont believe its driver. I have the latest 16.5 running on the Windows.

ONLY way I can get this working is one of two ways. I have to unplug power, not just shut it down. I need to kill power from the board entirely. Wait 10secs, then plug it back in. Then upon starting up, its set to gigabit with no issues. Other way is to change a setting in Bios which when you exit/save it causes it to kill power to the board for a second. So the fact that killing power to the board fixes it, tells me its some hardware or firmware level issue, clearly not the driver.

Now to explain when it happens, I do have the machine set to sleep and wake at certain times. Most of the time it sleeps fine, wakes up fine and still sits at Gigabit. Theres no explanation on how many times it takes before it decides to go into some stuck state of only negoiating at 10Mbps. Even going into Device Manager and setting it to 100Mbps, or 1000Mbps, Half or Full duplex does nothing. It disconnects the Link and Reconnects but only sits at 10Mbps. Im normally connected via the IntelAMT via RealVNC.

Ive updated from the 0054 bios to 0055 last week so Im also on the latest Bios revision.

What causes this to get in such a stuck state that only killing power to the board fixes this?

Dixit

0 Kudos
28 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

I just updated the BIOS to the latest version and unfortunately that did not help.

I also tried the drivers from HP's website and still no luck.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
sfied
Beginner

Hi mark,

Im having the same issues, the only way ive been able to get the NIC to negotiate back to 100Mb/s is to disable the card and then re-enable it. However after a little while it will jump back to 10 Mb/s. I have a dell optiplex 9010 like every one else here. It does look like an actual issue.

0 Kudos
SDzia
Beginner

Any update to this? It is still really causing us problems.. All our Dell OptiPlex 990's and 9010's that have Intel AMD enabled are exhibiting this problem... we just received 9020's and I'm betting the problem still exists on them as well (have not yet tested them). Really makes using VNC Veiwer Plus with Intel AMT pointless if we have to powercycle the computer to get it reconnected at gigabit afterwards!

0 Kudos
jpast1
Beginner

I have same issue 10mb speed on my assembled PC with motherboard Q87M-D2H from Gigabyte. We use HP procurve switch.

0 Kudos
MVall1
Beginner

Check this link: https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments/linkspeedswhenopeningakvmsessionfromsleepstate.htm Intel(R) AMT SDK Implementation and Reference Guide

Link Speeds when opening a KVM Session from Sleep State

It is recommended to start the KVM session in S0, excluding use cases that require starting the session in Sx. In Sx the network speed is set at 10Mbps. Opening a session in Sx and then powering up the machine will keep the original Sx network speed of 10Mbps until the session ends and there is a reboot or driver initialization. Moving to S0 before opening a redirection session avoids this network speed limitation.

Power states[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface&action=edit&section=6 edit]Global states[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface&action=edit&section=7 edit]

The ACPI specification defines the following four Global "Gx" states and six Sleep "Sx" states for an ACPI-compliant computer-system:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface# cite_note-22 [22]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface# cite_note-23 [23]

0 Kudos
SSpie2
Beginner

I've had this exact same problem with an Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Adapter onboard my Dell OptiPlex 790 running both Windows 8 and 8.1.

I've installed the recent (08/08/14) driver release "Network Adapter Driver for Windows 8.1" (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23071&lang=eng&ProdId=3299 Intel® Download Center) and the issue seems to be resolved thus far.

Jlame2
Beginner

Hi , i have the same issue with an Intel(R) i217-lm on ASUS CS-B. So, no, this technical limitation is still there and drivers don't do the job.

I resume for other people in the same case:

If you start the computer from the kvm viewer(VNC for me) and ONLY in this case , NIC adapter speed is set on 10mb and will not be renegotiated until you close the kvm session and reboot(i initiate reboot procedure in OS and close just after during services shutdown).

However, seems you can rise nic adapter speed to 100mb in OS, if you deactivate the Wake On Lan option in the advanced properties panel... That can be useful until you restart and get better rate

Thx MValldosera for the tech guide

0 Kudos
RandomPerson
Beginner

I've solved this problem.  Mine was defaulting to 10/10 when this setting was on auto.  I made this one setting change, and my network speed is normal. (1 GB).

intelslow.JPG

0 Kudos