Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Intel 82579LM failed loopback testing

AKosa
Beginner

I got the board with i5 CPU 3550S and Intel 82579LM onboard NIC .Found intermittent failed running internal & external LAN loop-back test by using Intel LAN DOS Utility Celo v1.17. The test only failed after running for few cycles , Anyone have idea what cause the test failed?

A latest version V1.21 found in Intel download center, any changes in Celo from V1.17 to 1.21?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Antonius,

Just to clarify are you referring you do not encountered this issue when using version 1.21?

Are you using latest driver for this onboard NIC? What is the driver version?

Thanks,

wb
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antonius,

Have you tried checking with the system manufacturere for customized tool? Is there any issue with tne NIC such as not able to connect to network? Please feel free to provide the information.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AKosa
Beginner

Hi wb,

After failure happened with V1.17.19.02, we use below version but problem is still occurred intermittent.

Using: Intel (R) PRO Network Connections SDK v2.27.10

Intel (R) PRO Adapter End of Line Diagnostic Utility v1.27.10.00

Copyright (C) 2002 - 2015 bi Intel (R) Corporation

Please check below for driver version.

driver : e1000e

version : 2.1.4-k

firmware-version: 0.15-4

bus-info : 0000:00:19.0

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antonius,

Thank you for the additional info. Can you provide the driver download link?

much thanks,

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AKosa
Beginner

Hi,

I do not load any driver. I download the Intel Diagnostic Utility from below link,

https://cdrd.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/348742.htm https://cdrd.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/348742.htm

And get the utility from Tools\DOS\OEM_Mfg\celo.exe and running in DOS with command celo.exe /extlb /lb

With Intel Chipset H61 + i5 CPU 3550S and Intel 82579LM, the loopback test failed after few loops.

But with Intel chipset H61 + Celeron CPU G540 and Intel 82579LM, the test was never failed.

Another finding , the test was never failed if attached a Hard Drive/SSD on the I5 system.

Attachment is the LAN EEPROM Data dump by using intel utility eeupdate.exe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Antonius,

Thank you for the additional information. I will further check on this.

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AKosa
Beginner

Hi wb,

Any finding or update ?

I try another intel diagnostic tool from TOOLS\DOS\EndUser\DIAGS.exe , still failed after few loops.

0 Kudos
AKosa
Beginner

What is the " Device Registers" testing for ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antonius,

The "Device registers" is use to perform test in Diags.exe tool. The test writes test patterns, read and verified through the adapter's device registers to ensure proper functionality.

Can you please help clarify there is no functionality or usage issue when there are HDD/SSD attached?

What is the reason you you want to use the setup without HDD/SSD?

Have you tried the diags.exe on your testing, is it the same result with Celo tool?

I would suggest you to check with your system manufacturer to further isolate the issue since the controller is integrated to their system.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AKosa
Beginner

I had tested with Intel diagnostic tool Celo.exe and Diags.exe, the test could passed with 12hrs keep looping when there are HDD/SSD attached.

Our clients will like to boot from USB key or PXE without use any HDD/SSD.

Yes , i had tried the diags,exe , it was same result with Celo tool. The test was failed in "Device Registers" and "Loopback Test".

0 Kudos
AKosa
Beginner

For the "Device registers" test in Diags.exe tool, may i know which adapter's device registers will be test ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antonius,

The 82579LM the one you had the concern. Just to double check as this is an onboard NIC, is there any update from the board vendor ?

rdgs,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Antonius,

Have you contacted the board vendor ? Please feel free to update me.

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos