Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel 82579V Issue

SGarl
Beginner

<><> Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place <><>

Ok I'll keep this brief.

Problem:- LAN regulary disconnects and reconnets 30 seconds later.

Symptons:- Loose connection to Lan / Internet for around 30 seconds.

Background:- Had this problem with both P8P67 B2 and P8P67 pro boards. I have several other computers connected to the switch (not hub) and they are working fine. Have replaced the lead to no avail. Have even used the same lead in several other computers which works fine.

Config:-

Study

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Server

VOIP

PC

Switch connected to lounge hard wired via outdoor sheilded cat6 lead.

Lounge

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Router

XBOX 360

Wii

<><><>

Message in System Event Logs;-

<><>

Warning message - date time - source = e1cexpress

Event ID = 27

Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

- Network link is disconnected

<><>

Then it states its connected again.

Have also tried the following;-

Remove Kaspersky 2011

Ensure ALL power management even OS is disabled

Use IPV4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies

Disable nativue IPv6

Disable tunnel IPv6

Disable IPv6

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Disabled SNP;-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]

EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000

EnableTCPA=dword:00000000

EnableRSS=dword:00000000

Have tried driver from Asus MB CD, Asus Website, Your Website, Windows Update all to no avail.

Please help.

0 Kudos
231 Replies
idata
Employee

I'd really like to know the outcome of this as im still getting event 10

Have read elswhere that a rouge motherboard standoff/riser could be the problem. But no luck for me

This has been over a year i've suffered with this problem and im not about to buy another NIC just because it isn't working as intended.

If anything i'll get an RMA on the board

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having exactly the same issue with this NIC running on an X79 Sabertooth with 3305 updated BIOS prior to even formatting a brand spanking new Intel SSD with Windows 7. After reading through every post here and trying every single work around I could find, I found some luck for a day after plugging the router directly into the wall power outlet rather than through a surge protector. And had a stable connection pulling 20mbs download and 15mbs uploads. Then it just started doing the same bad 1mbs speed causing terrible in game lag spikes to the client.

I am using an SBG6580 Motorola Surfboard which has the latest firmware installed. All drivers have obviously been updated including the network management utility, which to me is a complete waste of hard drive space. This issue is absolutely ridiculous and frustrating. Such a top of the line mobo should not have to be bogged down with an unstable, nonfunctional NIC card.

I'd like to try that utility but I can't get Mark H to respond to my private messages. I have yet to install Outlook on my computer as its pointless and would likely take a day just to download my emails from the Comcast servers. Speaking of that, I called Comcast and a service tech came out. All signals showing are golden as they were prior to this computer build X79 Mobo with this garbage faulty 82579v on-board NIC. And I have other computers on the network, they get ridiculous download-upload speeds, 40mbs+.

I intend to go buy a new PCI-E NIC if I can't get this resolved. What a waste of time and money though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update: So digging through my hardware storage I found a NETGEAR -GA311 in an old NIC box with the driver installation disk. This is a PCI card, so I put it in the PCI slot on the X79 Sabertooth Mobo, booted up, installed driver software. But left the connection disabled, no cat5 plugged in to the new NIC installed.

Proceeded a speed test on SpeakEasy using Atlanta servers. ( I am in Atlanta) And recieved 1.56mbs download speed, 2.24mbs upload speed on the test. Disabled the on-board 82579v Intel NIC card in windows. Enabled the NETGEAR-GA311, which by the way instantly found Ethernet connection, as apposed to the Intel having major issues even establishing a connection after enabling/re-enabling.

Ran a subsequent speed test on SpeakEasy producing 21.62mbs down & 3.64up. A vast difference wouldn't you say? I hope they do get the on board NIC problem resolved sometime in the future. I am certain this is a direct issue with that NIC which conflicts potentially with the BIOS, driver related or even the Network management software. I am just glad I found a backup resolution for the time being until potentially this is resolved in the future. I apologize for being harsh at Intel around this in my previous post. However, such a reputable companies on both sides need to be proactively working together to get this resolved. This issue is all over the internet, ROG forums, Google has amassed results from a search. It isn't just the X79 boards either, the Z77's and many others have the same issue due to this NIC. Work together so both companies are successful guys.

I found posts that were as prior as 2011 on some of these cards. Seriously? What exactly is being done if anything at all? Is Mark H, the designated front line defense on this? He's the only person that seems halfway contributing to finding a resolution. Asus and Intel need to get solid proven testing ability before launching a product to their clients that has less than excellent functionality. This creates a very unpleasant experience to mutual clients for both companies. This hardware is not cheap. If I had paid $99 dollars for the board, I'd likely not even rant about it at all. Please take better care of your clients in the future.

To you all out there with this same board dealing with this frustration. Do yourself a favor. Go buy a cheap 1GB NIC for the PCI and install it. It just isn't worth banging your head on the wall.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I too am having this annoying problem with the Intel 82579v. I built my PC in early January and have been fighting with this NIC ever since.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1) motherboard. I installed a Core i7-3770K CPU.

Luckily this board also has a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 NIC. I gave up on the Intel by disabling it today and just using the Qualcomm NIC. It works flawlessly unlike the Intel.

It sure would be nice if someone at Intel would create a driver that would rectify all these issues that all of us are having!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Brent,

I had a similar issue on my ASUS P8Z77-V Z77 and my resolution was to download the Windows 8 Drivers (even if you are on Windows 7 they WILL work). (Make sure you get either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions as required) & extract them to the desktop, run the appropriate setup program and remove any existing Intel NIC drivers and software, reboot the PC and reinstall the drivers ONLY. Do not install Proset or anything below the driver checkbox. Uninstall anything else like TCP Optimzer AFTER you reset all registry changes back to Windows default.

By the way, this also solve the problem of not being able to uninstall the drivers. Do not use the ASUS or other manufacturers drivers, go to Intel support and search for 82579V. The ASUS drivers are out of date and they are broken anyway. The date for the 82579V driver that worked is 8/12/2012 (as shown in device mangler)

On Time Warner, I could not get any speeds above 2 meg before the change. After the new drivers, I am consistently getting speeds in excess of 25 meg. Go figure, at least this works. Do NOT reinstall TCP Optimizer, I tried with and without and simply reinstalling and running "Optimal" dropped my speeds back to 1-2 megs best. That program does nothing for Windows 7 only XP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Chemist, I had a similar issue on my ASUS P8Z77-V Z77 and my resolution was to download the Windows 8 Drivers (even if you are on Windows 7 they WILL work). (Make sure you get either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions as required) & extract them to the desktop, run the appropriate setup program and remove any existing NIC drivers and software, reboot the PC and reinstall the drivers ONLY. Do not install Proset or anything below the driver checkbox. Uninstall anything else like TCP Optimzer AFTER you reset all registry changes back to Windows default.

By the way, this also solve the problem of not being able to uninstall the drivers. Do not use the ASUS or other manufacturers drivers, go to Intel support and search for 82579V. The ASUS drivers are out of date and they are broken anyway. The date for the 82579V driver that worked is 8/12/2012 (as shown in device mangler)

On Time Warner, I could not get any speeds above 2 meg before the change. After the new drivers, I am consistently getting speeds in excess of 25 meg. Go figure, at least this works. Do NOT reinstall TCP Optimizer, I tried with and without and simply reinstalling and running "Optimal" dropped my speeds back to 1-2 megs best. That program does nothing for Windows 7 only XP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, Dan Paul.

I do have a windows 8 driver installed. My OS is Windows 8 x64. I am now using a Microsoft driver 12.0.150.0, instead of the Intel driver. It has been working pretty well.

I can never find the exact Intel driver on the Intel site. They have a 82579 but not a 82579v listed. I think that I have tried them all. The Microsoft driver appears to work very well.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1). It has dual NICs. The other being a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 NIC. For a while I actually disabled the Intel NIC and used the Atheros. After installing the Microsoft 12.0.150.0 driver I have had no issues. I'm thinking the problem may be (as you suggested) with all that ProSet & TCPIP garbage in the Intel driver. The Microsoft driver has none of that.

I'm getting great home network transfer speeds and great Internet speeds (84 Mbps down and 39 Mbps up with Verizon Fios).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have an Asus P8Z77-V (BIOS version 1606).

I started getting this problem but I think I have fixed it by setting "Link Speed" to "100Mbps Full Duplex" and "Gigabit Master Slave Mode" to "Force Master Mode". It is annoying to not be able to use Gigabit Ethernet though.

At first I never got this issue, but then it started when I updated the Intel Network Connection drivers. I tried 17.2 and 17.3 but they didn't fix it. Actually I only ran the NVM utility after I had updated to those versions.

I tried uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling the one that came with my motherboard drivers CD but the problem still occurred.

Anyway, I just saw this problem mentioned somewhere else that suggests it could be a problem with the motherboard BIOS: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429 Tools to flash and recover BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards (FD44Editor, FTK) - [H]ard|Forum

Problem: Integrated Intel LAN can't start, code 10 in device manager.

Solution: GbE region is corrupted. Reflash GbE region.

So I'm hoping that if I just upgrade my BIOS version it might fix the issue without the need to disable 1GBps Link Speed. Otherwise I might try using that FTK tool to reflash only the GbE region of the BIOS.

Just wanted to mention that here incase it helps anyone!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

For Windows 8 users, try turning off 'Fast Start-up'. This forces Windows to boot from new rather than resuming from hibernation.

I too get the issues mentioned and I believe it is a timing issue.

Restarting forces Windows to boot fresh hence why the NIC comes back online for most of us. 'Resuming / fast boot' may be reloading Windows too quickly before the NIC has a chance to power up or the NIC drivers to respond. This would also explain why it's easy to re enable the NIC by restarting its services or disabling/re-enabling.

For Windows 7 users, search Google for 'wait for network' registry key. This forces Windows to wait for the network services to be ready before fully booting. This usually helps PC's connected to a domain but may be worth trying.

Hope this is of some help!

Boyd

0 Kudos
AStri
Novice

Well, funny this.

I've been having a disconnection issue when I use P2P software. I've been dealing with it for about a month now.

Finally Googled about it and sure enough the second result was this thread... which was made 2 years ago.

I haven't had this problem before and I've been using the Intel NIC for many months now. I used to use a Killer 2100, but it's had a problem where it breaks P2P connectivity for some unknown reason (I and Bigfoot have never been able to discover the issue; nothing but a full Windows OS reinstall fixes it) so I stopped using it last year.

Why it's suddenly disconnecting when it hasn't before, I don't know, but the fact that issues with this NIC has existed for a while is incredibly disheartening. Hopefully ASUS (and other board partners) use better quality NICs on future boards. Shame I'm limited to PCI due to needing to use a legacy card, else I'd grab one with an integrated Killer (though that may backfire if the eNIC still has the P2P issue the dNIC does)

0 Kudos
AStri
Novice

Welp, another update.

It also disconnects when using streaming software. ie. when the upstream portion of the connection is being used.

This is damaging to me, as I'm both disconnected from what I'm playing and what I'm streaming to viewers. (Not to mention it also screws up the VoD)

The disconnection rate is not consistent, but the higher quality I stream, the more it disconnects. I've disconnected doing 720p60, 1080p30/45/60 streams. I thought 1080p30 was safe, until it disconnected just now, which caused me to post this update.

Again, this hasn't happened to me before; I've done many hour long streams in the past just fine; it's only been in the last few months that I've been getting disconnections.

And actually, now that I think about it, I installed that firmware update a while back. I'm thinking that caused this issue. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to flash back that I know of, short of getting a replacement motherboard.

I am in no mood to reinstall Windows to fix my Killer issues so I can actually use a NIC that works properly. Maybe sometime I'll get fed up enough with this issue to do so..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just wanted to chime in here and note that I am having the same issue.

Intel 82579V on an Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard.

I have tried every fix noted in this thread and elsewhere, but the problem still remains.

The network adapter needs to be disabled then enabled after Windows boots before it will connect. This is very inconvenient. I have tried all driver versions available for my motherboard, but the problem remains.

Please find a solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Intel,

Is there a way to troubleshoot the Intel 82579V "Network link is disconnected" issue?

It keeps disconnecting, sometimes each 20 seconds.

My other 3 PCs/NICs work just fine with the same cables and router (using Linksys E2000 with DDWRT), so I can't blame it on the cables or the router.

Tried changing many settings, but to no avail. Got the mobo replaced, but the new one still has the same issue (Intel DH77KC).

Using Intel 18.1 drivers on W8 64bits.

Ironically, I've been an AMD fan for many years and haven't had any issues. But after switching to Intel, started having multiple strange problems...

0 Kudos
LMill7
Beginner

Just got a new PC with Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo, having the same issue as many folks report here:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, 16GB 1600 RAM, Intel i7-3770K CPU, Win 7 64bit Pro

EVGA GForce FTW GTX 670 w/2GB

Corsair Neutron GTX 240MB SATA III SSD + WD Caviar 2TB HDD

Connecting to a Time Warner provided UBEE DDW3612 cable modem and 4 port wireless router.

When I start the PC, I get an error ID: 27 in e1cexpress error that then fixes itself and everything connects at 1 gigabit, full duplex. However, during the day, I will get randomly disconnected from the internet. The network will disconnect, then anywhere from 10-20 seconds later reconnect again. No mention of anything in the event viewer which is unhelpful. Network speeds via multiple speed tests have been fine (20-30gb/s download, 3-4 upload). I have 3 other PC's connected via wire to the same router, 2 with ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboards, none of them having this same issue. I have tried different cables, I have tried running the diagnostics for the Intel 82579V on-board adapter. I have also uninstalled all of the ASUS drivers, tried with the native Win 7 driver and also tried installing the ProWinX64 latest version (18.3). I have used the NVM tool (it tells me no update is needed). I have turned off all power savings options, added the BFlagToggle line to the registry, changed the side scaling and disabled Interrupt Moderation. I have also updated to the latest BIOS version from Asus. None of these changes have stopped the disconnects from happening. I'm considering purchasing a cheap PCI-e network adapter just so I can work without the disconnect issues.

Any ideas still unexplored?

0 Kudos
PNord2
Beginner

I had exactly same: My network adapter reported 10 always on "cold boot".

Windows 8 Intel DH77DF motherboard (brand new) and hence Intel 82579V network adapter.

I think it is now solved based on some hints above

• First I found a workaround : Do "scan for hardware changes" on right click on adapter. This makes it work

• But final solution seems to be : Disable "Turn on fast start-up" in the power options - "choose what the power buttons do " (also based on hints above - Thanks
0 Kudos
FZoza
Beginner

it seems that the problem ocurrs when the 82579V is conected to a 10/100 network. i tried on a 10/100/1000 an not problems at all. So if your router is 10/100 u got a problem.. :/

0 Kudos
SHill8
Beginner

Hey all....

I cannot believe how many threads there are with people having connection problems with the 82579V ethernet. I am at my wits end with this crap. IT SHOULDNT BE THIS DIFFICULT TO GET IT TO WORK INTEL.

What's even more frustrating is it works perfectly out of the box with Mac OSX...

Right now I HAVE to use my Atheros ethernet port in windows because there are obviously problems with the Intel one. I'm going to try and install a hacked Atheros driver for my Mac OSX installation because I feel I will have less trouble if I just avoid the intel chip entirely right now.

Like I said, I get my full 60mbps on Mac OSX using the intel port, plug and play.. so it isn't a cable issue, it isn't a router issue, stop beating around the bush about it and fix it for windows users.

Its going to be a sad day when I have less trouble installing a homebrew Atheros driver for my other ethernet port on my Hackintosh than using the official drivers from Intel on windows.

/rant

0 Kudos
SBens1
Beginner

I'm seeing an issue with one of our computers that has an Intel 82579LM adapter. We were having an issue with one of our software packages generating errors and the vendor suggested it was related to a network adapter timing out or going to sleep. That didn't sound likely to me but I reviewed the event log and did find a stream of Warning messages with ID 27 saying Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected. I investigated that message and decided to turn off auto negotiation on the adapter and set the link speed to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. Our application issues disappeared and we are not currently experiencing problems.

When I review the event log I still see these warnings being logged. I have confirmed that the adapter is fixed at 100 Mbps Full Duplex. My guess is that the process that tries to auto negotiate and also logs the events is still active but that it is not actually having an effect on the actual adapter. Can you confirm if this is the case? I would very much like to eliminate the warnings for this issue from the event log and I'm a bit confused as to why the event log makes it appear that auto negotiation is still happening even though it is turned off on the adapter.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JT11
Beginner

I just tried the latest 18.5 drivers and the same error shows up in the event log. However I was using 18.3 for 2 months and never experienced disconnects, at least not that I know of.

I went back to 16.8.1 and the error stops appearing in eventlog. I guess the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

0 Kudos
KOng2
Beginner

So I have this same NIC and my computers wakes randomly and it is caused by this NIC as suggested by the "powercfg -lastwake" command. There are no magic packets sent to this specific NIC but I do not want to disable the Wake-on-LAN capability. What is wrong with this? I already upgraded the NVM and am using the latest driver.

0 Kudos
KOng2
Beginner

Why can't anyone answer here? Intel REP please answer.

0 Kudos