Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4875 Discussions

Intel 82579V Issue

SGarl
Beginner

<><> Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place <><>

Ok I'll keep this brief.

Problem:- LAN regulary disconnects and reconnets 30 seconds later.

Symptons:- Loose connection to Lan / Internet for around 30 seconds.

Background:- Had this problem with both P8P67 B2 and P8P67 pro boards. I have several other computers connected to the switch (not hub) and they are working fine. Have replaced the lead to no avail. Have even used the same lead in several other computers which works fine.

Config:-

Study

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Server

VOIP

PC

Switch connected to lounge hard wired via outdoor sheilded cat6 lead.

Lounge

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Router

XBOX 360

Wii

<><><>

Message in System Event Logs;-

<><>

Warning message - date time - source = e1cexpress

Event ID = 27

Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

- Network link is disconnected

<><>

Then it states its connected again.

Have also tried the following;-

Remove Kaspersky 2011

Ensure ALL power management even OS is disabled

Use IPV4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies

Disable nativue IPv6

Disable tunnel IPv6

Disable IPv6

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Disabled SNP;-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]

EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000

EnableTCPA=dword:00000000

EnableRSS=dword:00000000

Have tried driver from Asus MB CD, Asus Website, Your Website, Windows Update all to no avail.

Please help.

0 Kudos
231 Replies
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

If it was a discrete card, I'd agree with youre sentiments about Intel content but in these cases it's an integrated part of the (non-Intel brand) motherboard. It therefore shouldn't be in the Desktop Boards section which is reserved for Intel branded motherboards. Asus probably have their own community for such discussion about their boards.

There is a dedicated forum for /community/wired Intel Wired Ethernet and I can't see why THAT couldn't be used in this case for the reasons you've given. If all the users with Intel branded boards using this ethernet chip were posting about similar problems I wouldn't be so concerned but that's not the case. Can you guarantee this Intel Ethernet chip has been incorporated into these other brand motherboards using Intel reference designs for their integration, without any alteration?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How about intel motherboards with the exact same issue?

http://forums.techarena.in/motherboard-processor-ram/1444292.htm http://forums.techarena.in/motherboard-processor-ram/1444292.htm

Reason why it's mostly people with Asus boards posting? because it was the only 3rd party vendor (I can see at least) that used this particular chipset. and we all know the volume of intel branded motherboards is vastly lower then most.

The fact of it is, this issue is fixed under linux. It's a timing issue, and it's nothing to do with how the motherboard vendors implemented it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm trying to be nice, but I'll be honest man, its pretty frustrating when you're having a problem and you don't know how to fix it, and its even more frustrating when someone complains about having to hear about your problem on a support forum. If our difficulties are bothering you, then by all means go through channels and ask a moderator or admin to make a ruling to move/delete the topic. I don't think we're going to run the intel forum out of space here; pitch in or mosey along.

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

shads wrote:

How about intel motherboards with the exact same issue?

That link you provided is for boards using Intel Ethernet Chips but not Intel boards ie like the numerous Asus boards already posted about. There is no such thing as an Intel 82579V motherboard - only motherboards that contain that chip/Ethernet hardware. There may be more Asus branded boards out there but there are still pleanty of Intel branded ones too and if this was an issue with the Intel branded boards, we'd be seeing alot more than 2 posts about it (one of which cured the issue with newer Linux drivers and the other who still had network issues even after installing a totally different brand of network card - ie not specific to that hardware). If you don't believe me about this not being an Intel branded motherboard issue, look at the number of posts which do crop up here when Intel has got something wrong (like bugs with some recent BIOS updates for example). The forum was deluged with posts relating to some common issues but this definitely isn't such an issue for Intel branded boards. If all of those people are going to the trouble to post about problems with graphics after BIOS updates etc, I can't see why they wouldn't post about any network problems they may encounter as well but there's been zilch that stands up to closer inspection/hasn't already been fixed.

I don't have access to Asus motherboard design specifics (the only other brand I've seen referred to here apart from the two Intel board owners posts) so I can't say it's nothing to do with how it's been implemented. I suspect only Asus staff would have access to that and it's certainly not safe to assume reference designs have been used throughout by OEMs.

Finally, please understand, the reason I'm posting here is precisely because I do want to contribute to helping those experiencing problems - that's always one of my main motivators for posting here! If I thought for one moment that posting in the Intel Motherboard forum was the best place for Asus motherboard owners to get such issues resolved I'd be all ears but having worked as a computer technician (and dealt with the tech support depts for many brands and used their forums), I know, from experience its important to direct your energies to those responsible for the product you have. This means that in the first instance it's the supplier/retailer and then it's the manufacturer - in this case an OEM. Please understand that I'm not saying this because I'm 'bothered' by your posts and I'm not 'complaining about having to hear this' it's also not that I'm concerned about the Intel forum filled up with posts from Asus board owners - I've already suggested it could be discussed in the Wired Ethernet Intel forum. While I understand your annoyed about this problem that you don't fully understand Arch_Stanton, you've totally misinterpreted my motivation for posting here however and it feels like you're putting words in my mouth that simply aren't me. Even if it turned out that there was a problem with that chip that Intel provided to OEMs (and I hasten to add that I have no reason to believe this is what's causing these problems), who do you think you'd contact to get your board replaced/fixed - again it's the OEM. If you don't beleive me, look at what happened over the Sandybridge SATA issue.

I truely hope that those so affected contact either the Asus people (where it'd be best dealt with IMO) or failing that, use the wired ethernet Intel forum - if you know what's in your best interests you will. As this thread is already quite long and 'established', I don't know if the moderators would move it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just thought I'd update my specific issue. It was the cabling. I had some left over cat5e, so I created a new cable. Now it's working at 100mbps without any disconnection. I hope the OP and other people have their issues resolved as well.

0 Kudos
A_L_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the input everyone. It has been difficult for us to consistently reproduce this issue for investigation, so we would love to hear about anybody's results after loading our latest software. Version 16.8 was posted on December 15th, and can be downloaded at the link below (after selection of your operating system) :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%2282579%22 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%2282579%22

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I didn't read through the thread, just wanted to throw a quick suggestion out there. Try disabling "Energy Efficiency" in the NIC settings and see if that resolves the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've been having the exact same issue as originally described, and I have also tried all the suggested fixes to no avail. I'm still left with a semi-functioning LAN unit on my new P8Z68Z.

I downloaded and installed the new version of this software...and met little success. After installation or messing about with options, I will have sync for roughly 30 seconds, then it drops out, and I'm back to square one again. I've re-tried all the previously suggested fixes on the new software as well, but still no luck and no stability...

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

@big_loaf,

We have another driver refresh planned that will be available in late Q1. In the meantime, I want to make sure we collect details on each report to help with reproduction and fixes.

You said you "downloaded and installed the new version of this software." Does that mean the version 16.8 software?

What components did you install? Driver only? PROSet?

Are you using default driver and network connection settings?

What is the make, model, and hardware rev. of the link partner (switch or router) you are connected to? I am asking about the hardware revision, because I have noticed that even though the make and model stay the same, the hardware tends to go through several revisions.

Is a firmware update available for your link partner? Some devices cannot be updated, but some can be updated. Even when you buy them new in the store, they don't always have the latest firmware installed.

What is the speed of the link partner? (100 Mb? 1 Gb?)

Is the link partner set for auto negotiation on the port? If not, what speed and duplex setting are you using?

Make sure that your cables are good quality cables with all eight wires connected. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_cable# Twisted-pair_cable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_cable# Twisted-pair_cable) You might have already verified the cables, but I want to include this on the list for the benefit of anyone else reading the thread. I recall one comment where changing the cable fixed the disconnect for someone. I do not remember which thread I saw that.

If you never updated the BIOS on your motherboard, you might want to give that a try.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My apologies, I suppose I should have been more specific.

Prior to downloading the new 16.8 software, I had tried all the previously listed "fixes" in this thread (forcing slave mode, speed/duplex settings etc.). The connection would sync up and disconnect at random, though I did appear to have the most success after I applied those recommended settings...but that could have also been a placaebo effect.

I have also swapped out several different ethernet cables, re-terminated my ethernet jack, and tried a different D-Link DGS-1005G (gigabit) switch before and after the new 16.8 software. BIOS is updated, though there is no update available for the DGS-1005G.

One change I have noticed with the new software, is that if I install drivers only (NOT proset) I can occasionally keep the connection up and running until I restart the system. At that point, I need to remove and re-install 16.8 again and roll the dice as to whether or not it will maintain the connection. I have yet to pinpoint exactly what causes this failure (possible registry oddities?), but so far the uninstall/re-install "success" seems to be re-creatable.

I will gladly provide more details if necessary, just say the word!

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the information. I don't know if this applies to D-Link products, but if you get a chance, check the product label to see if the model has a version or revision or something similar.

I was thinking about your experience where reinstalling the driver sometimes makes the connection work until the next restart. You probably already tried this, but I was wondering if you disable the device in Windows, wait a few seconds, and then enable the device, if the connection might come back and be stable? I suppose that a registry entry or file could become corrupt, but I suspect that the timing of restarting the device or driver when you do a new installation might be what is different.

Another interesting experiment might be to restart with the cable unplugged. After everything restarts, then plug the cable in. This disfference might affect the timing of something and allow the connection to come up as stable. I know an idle connection would use less power than a connection at 1 Gbps and maybe that would also have an affect.

I realize that emoving the cable on a restart or disabling and enabling the adapter would not be good permanent fixes for you, but if either item works, that is easier than doing a new driver install.

Let us know anything you find out.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, we have a similar problem with this chip inside a Fujitsu S761 notebook. The notebook is connected to a Cisco Nexus 5010 and looses every 2-3 days it's connectionquality. I write connectionquality because it's still reachable, but has around 50% packetloss (tested with ping).

I hope the driver 16.9 will also fix this issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, the new driver *seems* to fix mine, no disconnection for the past 20 mins where previously happened once every 1-3 mins (very annoying! especially when I have to work remotely thru RDP).

Fyi, previously I had to put a cheap 100mbps network switch inbetween as a workaround for this issue.

Will update this post if the issue returns (cross finger)

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

@dunamis

Thank you for the feedback.

For anyone who wants to download the latest driver, you can download the web pack at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713. The description says for Windows 7, but this download contains drivers for all versions of Windows after Windows 2000.

We expect the next driver refresh for the 82579 to be available around the end of Q1. The link above will get updated with the refreshed driver in late Q1 or early Q2. Look for software version 17.0.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having an issue with the Intel 82579V on my Asus Maximus IV Z-Gene/3Gen Mobo. Originally windows kept telling that I had no ethernet cable plugged in. It would only establish a connection if I manually set the adapter's link speed to 10Mbs. If I set it to 100, 1000, or Auto-Negotiation the adapter would say "Network Cable Unplugged" but would flash "Enabled" every couple of seconds. So I downloaded the newest drivers and PROset (16.8.1) and it seemed to fix the issue of it saying the Network Cable is unplugged. However now my problem is the connection is dreadfully slow. My ping looks good but it fluxuates but my download speed is 1Mbs or below (According to Speedtest.net and Speakeasy). On wireless i get close to 22Mbs. This is not a cabling issue I am using a known good Cat6 cable. My router is a NetGear WNDR3300 and I use Comcast as my ISP. I get this same problem if I plug directly into the modem so I do not think it is a router issue either.

Anyways, any help or advice would be appreciated. Even if it is just to wait until new drivers come out. My other thread hasn't received any valid response for two weeks and its near the top so I will try here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 here with Intel 82579V and I have an identical issue to scrap246's. After a boot Windows gives an error. The only way to get the connection going is to unplug the network cable and then just replug it. And that's it, network connection is working fine again.

I actually did not have this issue with the original Windows 7 64 bit drivers but problems started after installing Intel network driver version 11.15.16.0.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi all,

The driver refresh for the 82579 is available now. The download link is still the same:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713.

This web pack will work for Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, or XP. Just download the 32-bit or 64-bit depending on what edition of Windows you have.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

I have recently purchased Gigabit mother board with Intel 82579V. I am facing the same issue of the connection terminating abruptly on Win 7 x64

1. I have tried changing the cable

2. I have tried working with Power saving settings.

3. I have updated to the latest driver as of today.

The issue still remains the same.

Will appreciate your response

Regards,

Irfan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Irfan wrote:

Hi Mark,

I have recently purchased Gigabit mother board with Intel 82579V. I am facing the same issue of the connection terminating abruptly on Win 7 x64

1. I have tried changing the cable

2. I have tried working with Power saving settings.

3. I have updated to the latest driver as of today.

The issue still remains the same.

Will appreciate your response

Regards,

Irfan

Exactly the same with me.

Mainboard is Asus P8Z68.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

I do not have an answer for the abrupt connection drops. I am checking with my contacts to see if I can find anything. Make sure you check with your board manufacturers in case the causes are something specific to those designs. They might be able to help with a resolution.

Occasionally, I have seen motherboard BIOS updates that address issues with built-in network connections, so make sure you are using the latest BIOS. This suggestion is just a generic recommendation since I do not know anything specific for your case.

Anything I can find out, I will gladly share here in the community. I wish I had a solution for you, but unfortunately I do not.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same issue here.

Bought MoBo with 82579V - Gigabyte X79 UD5 ~3 months ago.

After updating drivers for LAN & BIOS month ago, network connection started dropping when I transfer alot of data via it at speed over 300mbit.

Connection drops after about 1Gb of data transfered.

Then it require cable replug.

Tried different switches and cables, still the same.

Had to switch to ancient PCI D-Link 100Mbit NIC. This is just pathetic.

0 Kudos