Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Intel 82579V ethernet still loses connection after sleep - with latest driver 23.2

MFree5
Beginner

Hi, can anyone please advise if there is anything more I can do to fix lost ethernet after sleep mode? I have updated the ethernet NIC driver to the latest 23.2 but the problem is still happening. However I am not sure it has installed correctly as the driver properties show 12.15.31.4 (dated 25/07/2016) ?? Surely the driver should say 23.2? The file PROWinx64.exe seems to have executed correctly without problems. This problem started after the latest Windows update (April 2018).

When I come out of sleep, the adapter shows as Intel 82579LM, until I scan for hardware changes and it recognises it as 82579V. This was the same problem as with the old driver, so the PROWin file hasn't changed anything. Can someone please advise if the driver should say 23.2 in the network card properties? Many thanks.

WIN 10 64-bit (1803 latest edition)

ASUS P8z77 V-Pro motherboard (2012) - Latest BIOS

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Frodofreeman,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Communities. Version 23.2 refers to the PROSet software version, the actual driver version is the one in the property of the NIC, which in your case is 12.15.31.4 (dated 25/07/2016) for 82579V Ethernet controller.

With regard to the problem the adapter shows as 82579LM, you may try to use the NVMupdate utility at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22026/NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY-Network-Connection?product=52963

As this is an onboard NIC on Asus* board and with new Windows 10 RS4, I would recommend you to contact Asus* for customized driver, it is more suitable to use customized driver from the board vendor as they might make changes on the NIC to adapt to the board design. You may also check if they have the NVMupdate utility to fix the issue.

Please refer to this link about support for 82579V https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005658/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hope the above information help.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

Agent under contract to Intel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Frodofreeman,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Communities. Version 23.2 refers to the PROSet software version, the actual driver version is the one in the property of the NIC, which in your case is 12.15.31.4 (dated 25/07/2016) for 82579V Ethernet controller.

With regard to the problem the adapter shows as 82579LM, you may try to use the NVMupdate utility at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22026/NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY-Network-Connection?product=52963

As this is an onboard NIC on Asus* board and with new Windows 10 RS4, I would recommend you to contact Asus* for customized driver, it is more suitable to use customized driver from the board vendor as they might make changes on the NIC to adapt to the board design. You may also check if they have the NVMupdate utility to fix the issue.

Please refer to this link about support for 82579V https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005658/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hope the above information help.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

MFree5
Beginner

Wow, thank you Sharon, I just need to pick myself up off the floor, as your reply solved the problem! The NVM update utility worked like a charm! (I didn't need to contact Asus luckily).

I have had no end of hassle recently with various things and this problem was the latest irritation to annoy me! But your response was fast, relevant, helpful, specific and with common sense language. Can MIcrosoft please take note, we DON'T want canned responses and waffle, just an appropriate answer that explains the problem and hopefully provides a solution! Have a wonderful day!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Frodofreeman,

Thank you for the update. It is indeed good news the issue is resolved and I am glad to be of help. Have a wonderful day too!

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MatiasRoss
Beginner

Hi Sharon, 

This solution works for me 4 years after you published it!!

It's very good to have found (not easily) a solution for this problem but difficult to understand why the last versions of drivers even with auto-detect by Intel doesn't solve the problem.

Thank you very much!

Matias 

0 Kudos