Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Intel Advanced Network Services & multicast reception

B-Petit
Novice

I have Windows clients fitted with Intel adapters and Intel ANS. 2 adapters are teamed in Switch Fault Tolerance mode. The active adapter receives multicast data. When there's an adapter switch, the IGMP Membership Report / Join are not resent on the new active adapter. To get multicast, application needs to wait for the periodical router IGMP Membership Query. Would there be a mean to resend the IGMP Join when an adapter switch occurs (the equivalent of the RESEND_IGMP option of the Linux bonding driver)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
B-Petit
Novice

Thank you for the answer. That's a real pity. We'll probably have to reconsider using Windows and ANS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is the model of the Intel Ethernet Card?
  2. Are you using an onboard/embedded Ethernet card?
  3. Can you share a screenshot of the issue for us to further understand.
  4. What is your OS?
  5. Can you share the link of your latest driver?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
B-Petit
Novice

Hello,

I am using 2 ports of an Intel I350-T4 (installed on HP Z2 SFF G5 workstation, motherboard LAN I219-LM unused). Both ports are SFT teamed. One is forced primary and other is forced secondary. We run Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0.17763 and driver is 9.9.0.69.

I made a Wireshark capture on both ports while reproducing the case (the "ignored" packets correspond to the multicast traffic or to other machines, useless traffic). Few details to understand: 

172.16.72.163: the Intel I350-T4 machine where is running the application requiring multicast 239.193.90.2
172.16.72.17 and 172.16.72.18: routers
Application started at 05:52:20.504
Active port disconnected after 05:55:13.994
Switchover on standby port at 05:55:14
Membership Report sent at 05:56:38, only after receiving router IGMP Membership Query

==> multicast reception black-out from 05:55:14 to 05:56:38!

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

We appreciate the quick reply. I apologize because I need to gather more details about the issue for us to further analyze this one. Please provide the following details.

1. Can you provide photos of the card on both sides for us to identify if the card is an OEM or a retail card?
  2. Can you provide the link of your latest driver?
  3. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far?
  4. If you cannot provide photos of the card, you may also generate the SSU for us to check the card and other information of the system. Please download the utility here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a follow up on the information that we requested for us to further check the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
B-Petit
Novice

Hello Michael L.,

1&4) In attachment you'll find the SSU output.

2) As regards the link to the driver, I'm going to ask our system administrators (who are preparing the machines) where they took the drivers.

3) I did not make any troubleshooting steps, simply reproduced the issue. Now I'm wondering if there are options in Intel ANS (or somewhere else, but I guess it should be where the switchover decision is taken) to enable/disable the sending of "IGMP Join" over the new active port, like in the Linux bonding driver. If it's not implemented, will it be (and when?)?

More news today I hope!

Best regards

B-Petit

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

Thank you for the quick reply and for providing the details that we requested. We will have this inquiry checked and kindly give us 2 to 3 working days to provide an update for this one.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope that you are having a good day. We would like to apologize because we are still checking the issue. Please be patient as we may require another 2 to 3 business days to provide an update. We hope you understand.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope this message finds you well. We apologize because for the delay, however we are putting this case on high priority. As of the moment, we are still checking and kindly give us another 3 to 4 business days to provide an update. We hope you understand.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

We do apologize again for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 3-4 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
B-Petit
Novice

Hello,

Yes, I can wait! I'm on leave for the next 2 weeks. If I had an answer early next year it would be ideal!

Stay healthy  and have nice Christmas holidays

Best regards

Bertrand

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

As per advised advised by our engineers, ANS doesn’t support the IGMP Join being resent. In general, Windows 10 ANS Teaming features are more limited than in Linux.

If you have clarifications or further concerns, please let us know so we can further help you.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3-4 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you still have clarification on the update the we provided earlier this week.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope this message finds you well. Since you mentioned that you will be out for 2 weeks. I will just send another follow up next week on January 4, 2021. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a follow up to check if you still have clarifications on the update that we provided.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
B-Petit
Novice

Hello Michael L.,

I wish you a happy new year.

That's a pity that ANS doesn’t support the IGMP Join being resent! Is there any chance that a next release of ANS would support it?

Best regards

B-Petit

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

Thank you for the reply and we wish you a Happy new year also.

Thank you for understanding about the IGMP. Regarding your question if the is supported on the next release, let me go ahead and ask our Engineers if they have a plan of including the support for IGMP on their future release. Please give us 2 to 3 business days to provide an update on this.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello B-Petit,

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. Regarding your question if if IGMP will be supported on the next/future release, here is the update that we received: We regret to inform you that there is no future plans. IGMP Join will not be supported in future ANS release. Future ANS will focus on bug fixes if found any.

If you still have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
B-Petit
Novice

Thank you for the answer. That's a real pity. We'll probably have to reconsider using Windows and ANS.

0 Kudos