Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Intel Driver and Support Assistant Fails

idata
Employee

I had been using the Intel Driver Update Utility (IDUU) to keep my Intel networking drivers (wired and wireless) current, which worked well.

Just now, the IDUU updated automatically to the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" (v3.3.0.4). The install completes, but when I attempt to "Check for New Drivers", a browser page is opened (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html Intel® Driver & Support Assistant) which contains the error "Oops, something went wrong while trying to scan. Please try again, or see our FAQs for help."

I run Windows 10 Pro x64 1709 build 16299.371 and Google Chrome x64 version 65.0.3325.181.

This is a remarkably unhelpful error message. It says nothing about what the "scan" was doing when it failed, nor what the "something" was that caused the failure. Beyond that, the FAQ for the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, to which the user is referred, does not appear to contain anything relevant to scan failures. Searching the web for this issue suggests there are log files generated by the Assistant, but not even that appears to be mentioned in the FAQ (and in those other support threads, those who have provided these log files don't appear to have received any sort of response... I assume review of the log files is still pending... since January).

I am guessing no meaningful support actually exists for this Intel application.

Can anyone direct me to further information on this problem? Is there any sort of workaround?

I suspect not. I suppose I will have to abandon using a utility to keep my drivers current, and check for them manually. Unfortunate.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information.

Oops, something went wrong while trying to scan. Please try again, or see our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/idsa-faq.html FAQs for help.

Oops, something went wrong while trying to scan. Please try again, or see our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/idsa-faq.html FAQs for help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Just updated Chrome to version 66.0.3359.117. No change to behavior.

idata
Employee

HI Acapela,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am sorry to hear what happened and I will further check for you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Also disabled my proxy, enabled all cookies for the URI the DSA direct me to, and tried Microsoft Edge and Firefox.

I am physically behind a firewall. There is no way to change that.

Are there other Chrome security settings that might affect this?

0 Kudos
RFogg
Beginner

I am also having the same problem and have gone and submitted the situation with a screen shot to intel support. I am not impressed that this is occurring!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Faerae,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we will look into this.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
RFogg
Beginner

Hi Shanon,

Thank you! I am sure many people will greatly appreciate getting this solved as soon as possible!

0 Kudos
RFogg
Beginner

I have found that if you just uninstall the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and then reinstall it that will fix the problem. I had a very odd answer that made it seem like there was a completely different problem with my computer given by the help people. I hope this helps the rest of you out! GOOD LUCK!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did this. This has no effect on the problem (for me).

Thanks anyway.

So, my suggested workaround: don't bother with the DSA. For many of us, it will simply never work (for some cryptic reason that will never be clear). Download drivers and install them manually.

At least, until such time as Intel chooses to actually look at the log files various users have posted, and responds with something actionable...

0 Kudos
FBlau
Beginner

I am having the same problem on a laptop with intel N3450CPU. Not sure how and what to update manually, since there are so many components. Any help or an ETA for the fix would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
DBern23
Beginner

Updated to Chrome 80.0.3987.87 and same behavior. Works with Firefox.