Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel E10GSFPLR and Cisco SFP-10G-LRM Compatibility

AWood5
Novice

Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me with a seemingly simple but elusive question. I'm looking to

make a purchase of several Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules to support 10Gb communications over our

OS2 fibre infrastructure. All runs are less than 300m so this is cost effective compared to

using SFP-10G-LR.

On the other end of the fibre will be some servers using Intel E10GSFPLR optics at 10Gb.

My question is this - are these optics compatible for the situation I've described? I've done

some searching and can't find any definite information either way, despite these being popular

choices (I guess).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Dear Fencer128,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

The http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/ethernet-sfp-optics-brief.pdf Intel® Ethernet SFP+ LR Optic (E10GSFPLR) can support 10GBASE-LR 10G Ethernet and 1000BASE-LX 1G Ethernet only. In relation to your concerns on compatibility with 10GBASE-LRM, I will help you check on this further.

I will update you on my findings.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
AWood5
Novice

Thanks Sandy. For reference, the SFP-10G-LRM runs at 1310nm the same as the Intel optics, so I am hopeful. We run plenty of Cisco-Cisco over OS2 (<300m) without issue but haven't started deploying the Intel-Cisco scenario above. We're looking at around 100 pairs just now so the saving over using SFP-10G-LR is significant if you can validate.

Regards,

Andrew

JArch4
Beginner

Andrew,

Were you ever able to confirm if the Intel LR module will work with the Cisco LRM module on the other end? I'm in the same boat and the Cisco LR modules are over $1200.

0 Kudos
AWood5
Novice

Hi Sandy,

I was just wondering how you were getting on with this one. Any joy? We are nearly in a position to purchase if it is looking promising.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for my late reply. Still no updates on this. I will follow-up on this internally.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
AWood5
Novice

Hi Sandy,

I understand. I'd rather wait a bit longer to get an accurate answer than rush it and not.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Andrew,

While I'm checking on this with our team, you may also check with Cisco* if the LRM module can be connected to LR module.

Since they have both the LR and LRM modules available.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry to inform you that we can confirm on compatibility between Intel E10GSFPLR and Cisco SFP-10G-LRM as we aren't able to perform thorough testing on this type of connection.

We suggest that you may further check this with Cisco*.

Again, thank you for contacting Intel.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos