Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel Ethernet (7) I219-V adapter going missing? device cannot start?

GMana1
Beginner

Windows 10 - Pro x64

Motherboard: TUF B360 - PLUS GAMING

Processor: Intel i5 8400

Currently using a wifi dongle to access the internet(see Adapters.png) but if I take it out, the Network Adapters folder would be empty.

*System tray icon for network shows the wired connection icon with a red cross

*Cannot try a different ethernet cable, but tested current cable on a friend's laptop and it works

*tried placing it on a different LAN port on the router, no change

*Tried to disable then enable, still has yellow triangle on device manager

*Tried updating and reinstalling drivers, successful, but doesn't change anything

*Uninstalled it, then scanned for hardware changes, both through Dev. Manager: Reappears with the yellow triangle. Upon auto-updating it, DevManager says it's already got updated drivers

other information:

The computer was turned on for about 24 hours straight hosting a Zoom meeting and not much else. connection-wise, those 24 hours were uneventful. immediately after it was shut down, then turned on again about an hour later, which was when the issue was discovered.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi GMana1,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Forum.

We need to gather information so we can provide you recommendations.

Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this link. After running this program, it will create a text file. Kindly attach the text file on your reply.

Looking forward to your response. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up with you after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GMana1
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hi GMana1,

Thank you for the logs. After checking the logs, it seems like there is nothing wrong: software or driver wise.

Kindly answer the following questions:

1. When you uninstalled the driver, did you put a tick on "delete the driver software for this device"?

2. Have you installed any new software on the system that could have led to this issue?

3. Are you able to do a system restore your system to date wherein everything is working fine? This could cause complications to the currently installed software on your system, so it would be best if you do it with your laptop manufacturer’s support team.

4. Did your system automatically apply a Windows update on that 24 hours where the system is running fine?

5. Usually, for these issues, you may need to reinstall the Operating system to determine if the issue is software corruption or hardware. It would be best if you check with your laptop manufacturer as they are the best who can help you with this procedure. If it is still the same after reinstalling the operating system, most likely it is a hardware issue, and your manufacturer should assist you to do the next procedure.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Should we not hear from you, we will check back with you after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GMana1
Beginner

1) Yes, I did.

2) The last thing installed was Zoom, if I recall correctly

3) I am not, as the last restore point was long ago, and as such, it will take a while to reinstall all of them, however I am fine with this if it is necessary

4) KB4538461, it was installed on 3/11/2020, which was the day the 24 hour period ended (it started at 8am of 3/10)

5) I will see what I can do with regards with reinstalling the Operating System, but I hope it does not come to that. I will try the restore point option first.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Gmana1,

Thank you for your reply. I also hope that it will be fixed by a restore point, as reinstalling the operating system is tedious.

We hope to hear from you if you have any developments on the issue. Should we not hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GMana1
Beginner

Hello, Just got back from attempting to reset the PC using a recovery point. Didn't go through, so no changes were made.

I'm gonna start backing up important files, and getting ready to reinstall the OS.

Will post back when I've made progress.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Gmana1,

We appreciate the time that you took out of your busy schedule to carry out the procedures that we have suggested and provided us an update of the results.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Should we not hear from you, we will check back after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GMana1
Beginner

Just reinstalled the OS, and no luck. I still need this WiFi dongle to access the internet. It was a huge hassle, backing up all my files for it, but I guess that rules it out.

Anything else I could probably try?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Gmana1,

Thank you for sharing the results of the reinstallation procedure.

At this point, as much as I hope to for it to be not the case, the ethernet adapter on the board may be faulty, and it is not the drivers causing the issue.

We have some recommendations that you can try but this would already involve hardware level procedures and we recommend that you do this with the support group of your motherboard manufacturer. Please see below:

1. Try to reset the BIOS to defaults. Please be reminded that If you created RAID volumes on your system, there is a chance that it will delete the volume.

2. If that did not work, if they have BIOS recovery options or will it involve just updating the BIOS.

3. If there is a switch for the onboard LAN, try to toggle it on and off. Off first, then go to the operating system, reboot then turn it on again.

4. If that did not work, if you really need an ethernet connection, you may think of exploring USB ethernet adapters.

Again, it would be best if you perform the steps above with your local manufacturer.

We will check back with you after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Gmana1,

We have not heard from you yet, and we are reaching out to check if you need more time.

Should we not get your response, we will check back with you again after 3 business days.

If there is still no response, we may be forced to close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
GMana1
Beginner

Hello,

I have tried the methods you have suggested, to no avail. I am now looking into getting a new Ethernet adapter as soon as quarantine over here ends.

Thank you for all the help, you may now close this thread.

Good day and stay safe.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi GMana1,

Thank you for your update.

It's unfortunate to hear that none of the methods that we provided fixed your issue.

There really must be a hardware issue with the adapter that you have.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness, please take care as well.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos