Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Adapter WOL HP Z840W10P 22H2

MWind2
New Contributor III

Where can I find a list of Intel ethernet adapters with full support, not inbox, that will do wake-on-lan in pcie?

I cannot get Z840 onboard I210's to work anymore.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MWind2, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you provide the Operating System that you intend to use? Please also share the exact issue you encountered on your onboard I210 on Z840 system. 

Awaiting to hear from you soon.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

Prolog:

I had Z840 2x E5-2280V3 W10Pro64 that I bought used and enhanced the memory, ssds and video. It worked fine for a year and a half and with WOL working. Then it failed with 5 beep memory. Much diagnostics ensued and the conclusion was bent pins on proc0, not memory itself. I bought another z840 used with E5-2280V3, a z840 motherboard and 2x e5-2280v4. Recycled original bent pin one. Updated bios to 2.59 latest on the two remaining. Put 64G in the v3 and 256G in the v4.  Updated with HP SP's. Then I started trying to get WOL to work on either. Learned about Ctrl-A to get into advanced BIOS. I have tried every BIOS combination but the right one. I have tried many Windows device manager network adapter settings. I applied HP SP112877 and got  

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.35.42.7
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2020 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.
Inventory in progress. Please wait [+.........]

Num Description Ver.(hex) DevId S:B Status
=== ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============
01) Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) n/a(n/a) 15A0 00:000 Not supported
I218-LM
02) Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network 3.37(3.25) 1533 00:005 Update not
Connection available

Tool execution completed with the following status: Device not found.
Press any key to exit.

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

(Continued) l installed Intel  Ethernet Drivers and Proset  27.7. Tried a EXPI9301CT, it showed up in BIOS but Proset coulkd not configure. I have a HP 361T coming which purportedly Proset will configure. I have BIOS photos and Windows config screenshoots.

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

I find it curious that the Firmware in Device Manager is Microsoft as if they have implemented their BIOS and hooked it up with commands to the HW BIOS. Maybe I need to go all legacy to get my HW to work? I don't think I had gone all legacy no GPT before.

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

One thing I did which may be a decent workaround if I must drink the MS Kool-Aid: I reset adapters, changed them back to private, not public, fussed with remote session timeout which seemed to have no effect but what fixed it was not checking "Let the computer turn off this device to save power", Sleep "Never", check "Allow this device to wake computer" and "Only allow magic packet to wake computer", and then put computer to sleep when I sign out. Magic packet wakes and rdp stays connected. How this would be a power saving improvement over wake from shutdown I can't figure, but it sure imposes a fast start up.

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

Claimed success too soon. If I check "Let the computer turn off this device to save power", WOL is ignored after 20-40minutes, but

if I don't check it, the grayed "Allow this device to wake computer" gets unchecked and "Only allow magic packet to wake computer" does not work at all. If you check "Let the computer turn off this device to save power", you can check or not check  "Allow this device to wake computer", and then uncheck "Let the computer turn off this device to save power", the grayed option "Allow this device to wake computer" retains the check. I hoped this meant they were set as such, after a reboot, the "Allow this device to wake computer" was grayed and unchecked. And indeed, it does not wake computer anymore. Considering how many settings there are that influence WOL now, it would be nice to have explicit instructions or perhaps a gui linked choices "WOL from Sleep" and "WOL from PowerOff (Shutdown)" that sets dependent options which would be visible. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MWind2,

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with HP system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with HP for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

HP support

https://support.hp.com/us-en

We are also sharing below links that might be helpful on your query.

Remote Wake up Basics for Intel® Ethernet Products

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005793/ethernet-products.html

Although this article is for Killer Ethernets, this may also be applicable to you and help with the issue you encounter. 

Enabling Wake-on-LAN

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000059062/ethernet-products/intel-killer-ethernet-products.html

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications.

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

HP support was not able(twice) or willing(once) to solve issue. Microsoft support was worse. In a large tech city HP does not have authorized service and repair for business desktops (phone listed out of service). WOL is a feature claimed by the product. It worked before.  My 361T arrives today to test. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MWind2,

Thank you for the swift reply.

We can try to escalate this request to our engineers however, we'd like to set your expectation that we cannot guarantee anything since you are using an OEM. Prior to that, we will be waiting for your update regarding the test you'll do on your 361T.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

Please escalate.

So far, 361T does the same things.

Even if you don't have a product right now that solves my problem, one that does would sell.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MWind2,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please allow us to further check this with our engineers. We'd also like to remind you that we cannot guarantee anything on this issue since you are using an OEM.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

Thanks. If there is any pcie Intel product that they believe would work, I would purchase.

I hope "Modern Standby" has not broken "Legacy," it would be ironic that WOL from shutdown has to be implemented with something like a SwitchBot.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MWind2,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below update from our higher level support and let us know if you have questions or clarifications.

We would suggest contacting HP back because WOL feature also does depend on the BIOS of the motherboard. In order to enable this feature and to work properly, it is best to contact the system manufacturer. 

For adapters and controllers that support WOL, you may check this link for the Intel® Ethernet Feature Support Matrix Documents.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000093197/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello MWind2,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a soft follow up hoping that you are now talking with HP for further assistance.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

I've already talked to HP three times.

I've decided to give up on getting WOL to work again from shutoff. 

It's easier to just walk over and push a button.

0 Kudos