Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4867 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM - Wake Up issues

RGuio
Beginner

Hello,

We bought 6 new laptops with an I218-LM Ethernet card. (Dell Latitude E5540).

Everything works fine, excepted when the user is resuming from sleep mode or hibernation.

Using Wireshark, the PC is effectively trying to renew it's DHCP lease; our DHCP server is offering a lease, with no effect, and after 2 minutes, the NIC takes an APIPA address.

User have to disable and enable the card to get an IP back.

After some investigation, the problem occurs after installing SEP with NTP (firewall) feature, but we cannot find any event in the firewall log stating that something was blocked.

Of course, Symantec blames Intel's drivers....

I've tried every driver that was released recently, from the Dell and Intel websites, with no success.

I've tried to disable "Energy efficient Ethernet".

Going through Symantec support, I found this post which helped me somehow : http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-firewall-blocking-dhcp-request-i-think-after-sleep-or-hibernation http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-firewall-blocking-dhcp-request-i-think-after-sleep-or-hibernation

I've uninstalled the tools for the card management and reinstalled the driver alone (using the one that was unzipped in the temp folder).

It works if I uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box.

As my case is lost in Dell's infernal call centre loop, (they are replacing the motherboards every 2 weeks or asking me to reinstall the OS), I was wondering if you were aware of such issues with theses NIC's.

OS= Windows 7 x64 Pro SP1

Symantec=12.1.4013.4013

Drivers tested: original one (from 07/2013), 12.11.77.0, 12.11.96.1

Thanks for your attention!

Kr,

Sagouain

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KMill12
Beginner

Thanks for posting this Sagouain, I found this thread while researching this same issue.

I'm experiencing the exact same problems with the Intel I218-LM NIC in our environment with HP Elitebook 840 G1 laptops. Our domain environment has 802.1x authentication enabled on the network ports. When the NIC resumes from sleep mode it does not attempt to reauthenticate which causes it to fail authentication.

This issue can be re-created in our environment by following these steps.

1) Before putting laptop into sleep mode remove the network cable.

2) Put laptop into sleep mode through either the shutdown options or by shutting the lid.

3) Insert network cable

4) Resume laptop from sleep mode by pressing the power button (or open the lid and then press the power button).

The NIC will not attempt to re-authenticate and will fail over to a non-production network (again, in our environment).

I can confirm that the unchecking 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is a workaround for this issue. The network logs were monitored and confirmed that the NIC re-authenticates immediately after waking up from sleep mode. (Device Manager > Intel I218-LM Properties > Power Management tab.

0 Kudos
RReid3
Beginner

We are having the same problem with some new HP EliteBook 820 and 840 that all have the same Intel I218-LM NIC. We are also using 802.1x computer based authentication.

After waking from sleep they are sometimes failing to reauthenticate which means they fall back to our unauthenticated 'guest' vlan.

The problem I'm having is trying to replicate the problem consistently because it does not fail every time.

I've followed kmills02's steps trying different lengths of sleep and keeping the network cable unplugged longer but it still only fails some time.

Because it does no fail consistently it makes it harder to test solutions.

0 Kudos
DBerr4
Beginner

I have the same issue on 2 different model Lenovo laptops w/ this card (running Win7x64 SP1). We also use Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). However, I did not notice if the issue occurred before installing SEP.

In both cases, kmills02's suggestion of un-checking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" found under "Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM -> Properties -> Power Management tab" corrected the issue. FYI - Doing so also appears that it may disable Wake On LAN. However, being that these are laptops, Wake On LAN really isn't important or useful. We don't currently have any desktops w/ this card, but we also don't use Hibernate/Sleep on our desktop machines, so I believe it's irrelevant for us.

Another thing I noticed (in case it helps any folks at Intel reading this): when the issue occurs, if you unplug the LAN cable & plug it back in, the computer will successfully re-establish a network connection. A little easier than disabling & re-enabling the card, but still a royal pain.

0 Kudos
SChua12
Beginner

Please try 12.11.77.1. It should work for this issue. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VCNY8&fileId=3362869043&osCode=W764&productCode=latitude-e6540-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI Driver Details | Dell US

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes

- Fixed connection problem after resume from suspend when system with Symantec Endpoint Protection installed.
0 Kudos
RM11
Beginner

Ok, This was annoying me for past 3 months. Every time I wake my computer from sleep, it will not recognize the network. Only way to re-establish is either by waking up from sleep before docking or disable/enable network card. Mine is also HP Elitebook 840 G1 laptop with Intel I218-LM NIC. I think i found the answer to this mystery.

Go to Properties -> Advanced -> "Wake on Link Settings" to "Forced". As soon as i set this setting, the link became active and obtained the IP address. By default it is set to disabled. I am going to see if i get consistent results, but this is the first time i have had any success with this NIC.

BTW My driver version is 12.11.77.0

DSant14
Beginner

This issue started happening to me last friday after I use the hibernate option of Windows 7 Enterprise and was surprised that I can no longer connect using a home Internet connection.

I have followed every step I can find in this thread and across google-results with no positive results. I even bought a brand new set of ethernet cables today just to rule out that the LAN not being detected is an issue.

I feel that the NIC driver posted in the HP website is mroe updated that what was supplied here.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I can no longer connect this laptop model thru my home connection via cable.

0 Kudos
DSant14
Beginner

Thanks, Sage.

I think my issue with LAN has already been resolved after performing unfathomable hours at home. My outstanding issue about connecting to a non-production connection appears also to be isolated to the modem/router itself considering that it was pretty much brand new (Issue was that it is not supplying an IP to my laptop although I can connect wireless).

Thanks for the help.

I would believe so that the driver update may have impacted this issue I encountered initally and ensuring that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked off.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
OK3
Beginner

I'm still experiencing this issue. Using drivers 12.12.80.1950 Rev.B (HP Elitebook 820, Windows 7 x86 SP1). Either this issue has reappeared in this version or i'm having something different. This laptop is connected to UltraSlim Dock 2013. Usually it is enough to disconnect from the dock and reconnect. Currently i have disabled sleep on AC for this laptop. I think setting Wake on Link to Forced may have similar effect, laptop will never go to sleep while connected to network. Which is not the best workaround. Any news on this? Updated drivers in the works?

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi wroot,

Please try installing the adapter's driver. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7*

Updating/re-installing driver can resolve the issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

OK3
Beginner

Sandy_Intel wrote:

Hi wroot,

Please try installing the adapter's driver. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7*

Updating/re-installing driver can resolve the issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

Thanks. This drivers works fine after wake up.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi wroot,

Glad to help.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos