Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V Connection Drop

Woozie
Beginner

Hi, first of all I would like to thank Intel for producing a great network card. Thanks also to MSI for using this excellent network card in their excellent motherboard.

I'm using the MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR5 model. I just recently built my computer. The I225-V is really a nuisance. Since the first day I built the computer, even though I tested all the drivers of Windows 10-Windows 11 and tried functions such as turning off the power management, it never came to a solution. As a last resort, I'm thinking of sending the motherboard back and getting a new one. This will be a bit of a hassle for me.

Isn't there a solution to this?

intel.jpg

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Network link is disconnected.

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex.

Driver Version: 2.1.3.3

Windows 11 build version: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.1555

Bios version: AMI BIOS7D32vHB

Cable Modem: Cat8

Internet connection speed: 1gb/2.5gb? 1Gbit

Speed & Duplex: Have you configure to auto or match your internet connection speed? 1.0 Gbps

Note: I even changed the modem in the process. I bought a new modem.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We apologize on the frustration that the network card has been causing you. For this matter, please kindly refer the below link and follow the steps provided in order to mitigate the issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

The link provided some steps on how to overcome the random connection drop for the I225-v network card. You may try to apply this fix and let us know on the aftermath.

Kindly do let us know if you have any other inquiries for this issue.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

I am using the latest 2.1.3.3 for Windows 11. Which driver would you recommend? This suggested solution didn't work. Still connection drops.

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

It does not come back after the connection is lost. I am using the Windows Diagnostic tool to solve this. It says the problem is "Default gateway not available" and when Windows fix it the internet comes back.

"Default gateway not available Repaired Repaired

The default gateway is a device that connects the local network or computer to the Internet. A broadband modem or router is usually the default gateway."

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and thank you for the response.

The recommended drivers would be the latest driver available. It seems that the driver 2.1.3.3 is the latest available driver from the MSI website for your particular model.

Also, after Windows has solved the issue, are you still seeing the same issues after a while?

For this case, you may try run ipconfig/flushdns on your PC to mitigate on this issue. This will clear the system's cache of name to IP entries and reloads them from the connected DNS server.

1. On the search bar, type "command prompt" and select Run as administrator

2. Type the following commands and press Enter

ipconfig /flushdns

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

Windows fixes the problem but then disconnects again. I also tried this method but the problem is not solved.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and sincere apologies from our end for the delay in response.

Thank you for the reply. Since Windows has initially fixed the issue but then the same issue occurs again, can you confirm if the same "Default gateway not available" errors was prompted as well?

For this matter, please kindly help to provide the SSU logs for us to analyze further on this issue. Please refer to the link below on how to gather the SSU logs:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

You can find the file you want below. It keeps cutting out and coming back again. I bought a new motherboard but same problem.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and thanks for the logs provided.

Apologies for the delay on this as we are still checking to mitigate this issue at hand. Please allow us some time to check on this and we will get back to you accordingly.

Let us know if you have any other inquiries for this matter.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

Apologies for the delay. We have analyze the SSU logs provided and verified the firmware is at the latest version from MSI.

For this matter, please kindly let us know on the below details:

1) Uninstall current driver and perform clean installation as per the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

2) May I know if the network setup is connected directly to a switch or to a modem?

3) We advised for your end to confirm with the MSI support team on the NVM version that is currently installed on the system and what is the latest NVM version available from MSI. If possible, please update to the latest NVM version as suggested by the OEM.

Kindly let us know on the details above.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

1) I have already deleted and reinstalled it many times, the problem persists. I even wiped and reinstalled the computer many times.

2) No, it is not directly connected to the modem by cable. There is a LAN port in my room and it goes to the modem. But I am sure that there is nothing wrong with these cables, because these cables have been tested. Also, when I was using a different motherboard model before, I didn't have this problem... 

3) I am already using the latest version NVM, 1.89 I think.

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

Also, I've been having this problem for about 2 months now. Now it disconnects momentarily and comes back after 2-3 seconds. It's funny that Intel can't solve this problem. It's really a big failure.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and thanks for the response of our inquiry.

We sincerely apologized for the issue that you are facing currently and we are working internally to provide a fix for this matter. Please kindly bear with us for a moment for us to replicate this issue and provide a fix.

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries. Again, we apologize for the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

HiHi Woozie,

Good day and apologies for the delayed response as we was checking on the provided SSU logs.

From the SSU logs it seems that below settings is enabled. Please kindly help to disable these settings and let us know if the issue still persists.

TCPChecksumOffloadIPv6:TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6):"Rx & Tx Enabled (3)

Kindly let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

I disabled both functions you mentioned but the problem is not solved. Instant interruptions continue.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day. Thanks for the confirmation.

Can you help to provide the latest SSU logs for us to analyze further after you have performed the disabled on the commands on previously?

Kindly let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

The problem continues. SSU log here.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Thanks. Please allow us some time to analyze on this log and we will get back to you accordingly.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

Do you need more time? Intel can't solve a problem for months. I really promised myself that I will never be interested in any of intel's products again.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day and apologies for the delayed response from our end.

We have currently released a newer version of NVM (1.93) and driver as well for the I225-V that has fixes for this connection drop issues that you are facing.

Please kindly check with your OEM driver latest releases for the NIC and perform the update accordingly.

Do let us know if you have any inquires.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner
Hey Faez,

I've been having this problem for about 4 months. MSI didn't even have a 1.89 NVM. I found and installed it myself from the internet but it did not help. Please send me a link where I can download the new driver update and NVM. Because MSI is not releasing them.
0 Kudos