Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V bsod e2f68.sys

scarer
Beginner
1. Mainboard Gigabyte Z490 AORUS MASTER rev 1.0. BIOS f3.
2.DIMM2: Kingston HyperX KHX3733C19D4 / 16GX 16GB DDR4-3600 DDR4 SDRAM
DIMM4: Kingston HyperX KHX3733C19D4 / 16GX 16GB DDR4-3600 DDR4 SDRAM
4000 mhz
3.CPU Type OctalCore Intel Core i7-10700K, 5000 MHz (50 x 100)
4.Video adapter GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6 GB) pcie 16 3.0.
5.Corsair HX1000 power supply. about two years old to him.
6.1) KINGSTON SA1000M8960G Disk Drive (960GB)
2) Disk drive KINGSTON SA400S37480G (480 GB, SATA-III)
3) Disk drive KINGSTON SH103S3240G (240 GB, SATA-III)
4) Disk drive KINGSTON SH103S3240G (240 GB, SATA-III)
7. Everything was bought new.
8. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro. OS Version 10.0.19041.508 (Win10 20H1 [2004] Insider Preview)
9. connected through a surge protector.
10. The computer is overclocked, but it worked stably, passed all stress tests: aida 64, cinebench R20, cpu-z, prime 95.
Actually, what I accidentally noticed on my PC. The computer passed all stress tests perfectly, in everyday work I did not experience any problems after selecting the optimal voltages. But I accidentally turned on the CPU-z bench under additional load (google chrome + youtube), of course, the result became worse, but almost immediately I got a bsod with the error ntoskrnl.exe.
I started to understand and realized that the cause of the bsod data is the e2f68.sys driver (Intel (R) Ethernet Adapter NDIS driver). I tried versions: 1.0.0.13/1.0.1.4 (it did not work correctly, I encountered a problem that after a reboot the adapter did not work, it was necessary to completely turn off the PC, only then it started to work and so on until the reboot) /1.0.1.7/1.0 .1.8. With each driver I got bsod, but if I completely removed this driver and tried to enable video on youtube via the WIFI module, then the test in cpu-z went fine, with a lower result, but stable for about half an hour.

Also in the device manager with driver 1.0.1.8 such an error: There was a problem with starting the PCI device \ VEN_8086 & DEV_15F3 & SUBSYS_E0001458 & REV_01 \ 4 & 1ba68f3e & 0 & 00E3.

Driver name: oem81.inf
Class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: e2fexpress
Lower filters:
Top filters:
Problem: 0x15
Problem status: 0x0
Actually the question is, perhaps this is a bug of the intel (R) ethernet controller i225-v driver, which manifests itself only in such a situation?
This error also occurs when watching 8k video.

if I completely remove the driver through the device manager, then I can safely pass the cpu-z with youtube video 1080p test or watch 8k video without bsod. but after reinstall driver for intel i225-v i got bsod again in the same situations.

any solutions for this problem?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
scarer
Beginner

Update: I found the reason for this bsod. this reason was a browser plugin adblock plus.

Upd: did more test for this and still have same problem.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you share the following information that would help in checking your request?

1.) Where was the driver downloaded from?

2.) What is the firmware version of your Intel (R) Ethernet Controller i225-V as well as the link where it was downloaded? 

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

1. 1) 1.0.0.13 automatically downloaded by windows after installation windows via WIFI.

2) 1.0.1.4 downloaded from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan (official gigabyte site)

3) 1.0.1.7 downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=184676 (PROWinx64 file)

4) 1.0 .1.8 downloaded from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan (official gigabyte site)

2. I didn't update firmware. If you need it I can do it from the site gigabytes.  For this version: 

Intel I225 Firmware Update Tool
* Intel I225 2.5GbE Firmware Version 1.45 for Link Stability Improvements
* Please run NVMUPDATE with Administrator privilege (right-click)
[1‎.45]
1‎.53 MB
2‎020/06/04

My currently driver version and etc:

Driver name: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V

release date: 07.06.2020

driver version 1.0.1.8

INF-file oem8.inf

INF Section E15F3.10.0.1..17763

Аппаратный ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15F3&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_01

Сведения о размещении PCI-шина 5, устройство 0, функция 0

PCI-устройство Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V [8086-15F3] [NoDB]

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

I forgot to tell in firefox 81.0 (64-bit) i haven't this problem. only in the microsoft edge Version 85.0.564.63 (Official Build) (64 bit) and google chrome Version 85.0.4183.121 (Official Build), (64 bit).

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

after updating Intel I225 2.5GbE Firmware Version 1.45 still blue screen with 1.0.1.8 driver when i use cpu-z bench with google chrome + youtube video 1080p and still same bsod while i watching 8k video in google chrome.

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

I still have a question how to determine which version of the firmware I have? because I can't figure out exactly if I really have 1.45 right now. 

update: uefi driver was 0.8.06. now is 0.8.07. so i think 1.45 updated  is fine.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Thank you for the reply. 

Regarding your question on how to check the Firmware of I225-V, will you be able to provide System Support Utility(SSU) log if your system so we can double check on it? This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

We would also like to check if you have raised this issue to Gigabyte support? We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Gigabyte system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with them for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. This is to avoid any incompatibilities on your system and ensure that you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

Awaiting to hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

hello, yes,  I asked on the Russian forum gigabytes about this problem. but I got the following answer: "Unfortunately, problems when playing video content by means of the browser engine, up to a black screen in a window or on the entire desktop, or bsod is a fairly common topic, regardless of the video subsystem vendor and other software and hardware components / controllers involved in video broadcast. Solvable only by trial and error ... "

https://forum.gigabyte.ru/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=124912

I also made a request to the support service gigabytes, but I'm still waiting for a response from them.

If it is possible for you, then test the Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V in the situations indicated by me. Enable 1080p video in google chrome / microsoft edge and enable cpu-z bench.  Usually i got bsod in first bench after 1-5 sec. 8k yotube video takes from 1-20 mins.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to check this internally. However, please be advised that we might have a limited support since you are using an OEM system (mentioned on our previous post). But don't worry as we will still investigate this issue with our engineers.

We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Good day!

I checked the SSU logs provided and based on it, the NVM Version is "16.69". I also noticed that your I225 has Part Number:"G23456-000". With this can you confirm if the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V is a LAN on motherboard (LOM) or PCIe Ethernet card? 

You also mentioned 'after updating Intel I225 2.5GbE Firmware Version 1.45 still blue screen with 1.0.1.8 driver when i use cpu-z bench with google chrome + youtube video 1080p and still same bsod while i watching 8k video in google'.

Can you please provide the link where was the firmware/NVM downloaded from? 

Regarding your post at ‎09-28-2020 04:12 AM, here is the official statement/documentation from Intel. Can you confirm if you are affected by this issue? 

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/621661

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

Hello. the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V is a LAN on motherboard (LOM) it's chip on motherboard (z490 aorus master Intel® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbit/1 Gbit/100 Mbit)). I am attaching a screenshot with a lan port. Also i did screenshot from bios with ethernet settings.

i downloaded Intel I225 Firmware Update Tool
* Intel I225 2.5GbE Firmware Version 1.45 for Link Stability Improvements from here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan

I also updated the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest available firmware(F6 version), but it also did not help. After updating bios, i checked the same situation with default bios settings (cpu-z bench with google chrome + youtube video 1080p) but still same bsod with e2f68.sys. 

About this https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/621661

i have stable connection with driver 1.0 .1.8. i have only 100mb speed from my provider so i can't tell you about 2.5 gb lan speed.

I have only this problem on my PC - blue screen when i use cpu-z bench with google chrome/microsoft edge + youtube video 1080p or while i watching 8k video in google/edge. In firefox i haven't this bsod in same situations.

So maybe is it problem with google/edge compability (I already tried clear reinstall them, didn't help) or Ethernet Controller I225-V driver compatibility with them? Because in firefox all is fine with this cpu-z bench test+ 1080p youtube video/ watching 8k video without bench.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to continue checking on this. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please refer to the items below for additional questions and suggestions that will help us in isolating the issue.

1.) Can you share if the issue also happened when the system is not overclocked? Because it may not be driver but could be hardware related as well. Hardware stress while accessing the application causes a component to intermittently fail and encounter BSOD as the driver cannot communicate with the failed component. We would suggest to further test the system with default and optimal voltage. 

2.) Since the OEM drivers did not work, can you try Intel generic driver as well?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

3.) Is the 1080p video in google chrome / Microsoft edge working fine if cpu-z bench is disabled? Do you need to run cpu-z bench or is it for testing purposes only? You may also need to contact cpu-z bench manufacturer to check for any compatibility issues as the issue only appears when this application is active.

Let us know if you have questions and clarifications.

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

hello.

1) i tested it with and without overclocking. same result in both cases without any difference. without overcloсking i got same bsod in 8k video google chrome/microsoft edge or in 1080p video with cpu-z bench in same browsers (Firefox is fine with 8k video and if i try to use 1080p video with cpu-z bench). my overclocking is stable, because now i working/gaming with my settings and i haven't any troubles with it.

If i uninstall the driver in device manager for ethernet i225-v and after this using Wifi all is fine with 8k video or 1080p video with cpu-z bench in all browsers.

2) I tried versions: 1.0.0.13/1.0.1.4 (it did not work correctly, I encountered a problem that after a reboot the adapter did not work, it was necessary to completely turn off the PC, only then it started to work and so on until the reboot) /1.0.1.7/1.0 .1.8. With each driver I got bsod, but if I completely removed this driver and tried to enable video on youtube via the WIFI module, then the test in cpu-z went fine, with a lower result, but stable for about half an hour.

A) 1.0.0.13 automatically downloaded by windows after installation windows via WIFI.

B) 1.0.1.4 downloaded from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan (official gigabyte site)

C) 1.0.1.7 downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=... (PROWinx64 file)

D) 1.0 .1.8 downloaded from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan (official gigabyte site)

3) yes, all is fine with 1080p without cpu-z bench in all browsers(google/edge/firefox). I discovered this by accident when I watched a video on YouTube in google chrome and turned on cpu-z bench to compare results with another 10700k.  after bsod i started thinking why i got it and can i get it without cpu-z bench. And i tried to watch 8k video on youtube and i got same bsod without any bench. But i got it only in microsoft edge and google chrome. so i think is not cpu-z bench reason, because i got same bsod in 8k video in chrome/edge without this cpu-z bench.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Appreciate your swift response

Please allow us to forward this information to our engineering level. I'll get back to you as soon as we heard form them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello scarer,

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still checking your request. We will get back to you as soon as there is any update but no later than 2-3 business days.

May you have an amazing weekend ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

hello, I seem to have found the reason for these bsods. Avast premium security was the cause of these bsods. after disabling all protection screens, I passed about 15 tests in a row in google chrome and youtube 1080p video+ cpu-z bench. So if possible, then let your engineers check it, perhaps the problem will really be in the avast.

0 Kudos
scarer
Beginner

after removing avast, all tests pass without any bsods with windows defender.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Good for you.  Your testing and discovering AVAST as the problem will help others.  Of course, AVAST will never admit their software is junk and causes these problems.  Nonetheless, good job!

0 Kudos