Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility (BootUtil) - Boot from EFI

ben387
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I am trying to run the boot utility (Intel Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility, version 25.2) directly from the EFI shell to set the MAC address for the I210 ethernet controller.  The EFI installation instructions in the user guide "bootutil.txt" (attached) say, "There is no installation required for EFI tools. The tools can simply be copied from the appropriate directory to the drive that they will run from."  However, there are not any .efi tools to download.  There is only the PREBOOT.exe and Preboot.tar.gz.  The link to the boot utility download page is below.  How can the boot utility be run from EFI?

Thank you very much!

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29137/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers?product=64399

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ben387,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We understand that you are asking for assistance on how to run the utility via EFI.

To better assist you, we need to get some logs from your system. It will tell us the different driver version and components installed on your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ben387
New Contributor I

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for your response!  I am planning to use the EFI boot utility tool on a number of different platforms which will have different setups.  The driver versions and components will not always be the same.  My understanding is that the EFI tools are run prior to when the OS and drivers are started up (for example from EFI Shell 2.70). 

The boot utility is needed to change the MAC ID on the ethernet controller.  We previously changed the MAC ID's with the old eeupdate DOS program.  We would power on the device, break into BIOS, boot into FreeDOS from a USB flash drive, and run eeupdate to change the MAC ID.  Can the same process be followed with the boot utility tool?  We can use either EFI or DOS.

Thank you very much!

Ben

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ben387,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ben387,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

After doing our preliminary checks, the guide on how to use bootutil in UEFI can be found on page 77 of this document, https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28410/eng/Adapter_User_Guide.pdf. The install guide for UEFI can be found on the readme.txt of the bootutil or on the link that you have provided. Please let us know if we have answered your concern or if you have further questions regarding this.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ben387
New Contributor I

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for your help. I was able to solve my issue by unzipping the PREBOOT.EXE file to find the BOOTUTIL64E.EFI file.

Ben

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ben387,

Thank you for your update.

We are glad to know that you already found the solution to your concern.

We would now proceed to close this thread.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Communities and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos