Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4v2

sam5280
Beginner

Hello, how do I boot into the bootUTIL on a Dell Precision 3640 that only has UEFI bios and  legacy is no longer supported. I've tried Ctrl+D. Not sure if that is the correct hot key. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello sam5280,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using onboard/embedded I350-T4v2?
  2. Can you also tell us why do you need to access bootUTIL?
  3. Have you tried contacting Dell on how to access bootUTIL?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sam5280
Beginner

Hello Michael,

1. It is in the expansion slot.

2. Need to create diskless PC booting from iSCSI - so I can configure the NIC.

3. Yes, I am waiting on a response. 

0 Kudos
sam5280
Beginner

Also, is bootUTIL only compatible for legacy boot and not UEFI? The Dell bios no longer have the option for legacy boot.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello sam5280,

Thank you for the quick reply. For us to further check if the bootUTIL will work, kindly send us photos of your card on both sides focusing on the markings for us to validate the card.

And also, since you are using bootUTIL, are you trying to update the firmware of the network card?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
sam5280
Beginner

Michael, 

I am unable to provide photos of the card and I am trying to update the firmware and enable Intel boot agent from there. Based on my research it is disabled by default on the I350T4. It will not prompt to boot from the card. The bios does not have EFI shell boot.

PBA Number
XXXXXXXXXX
Product Name
Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4
MAC Address
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Manufacturing Location
Malaysia (AD)
Product Code
I350T4V2
Manufacturing Date

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello sam5280,

Thank you for the details that you provided. However, since you are also trying to update the firmware, we really need to validate the markings first before we proceed. The reason behind this is we have a limited support for OEM cards and using our firmware on a OEM card may damage the card and vice versa.

By the way, let me also gather the following details.

1. Can you provide the link where you downloaded the firmware and bootUTIL?
  2. When you are trying to update the firmware, are you having an error? if yes, can you provide a screenshot?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
sam5280
Beginner

Michael,

I was able to load bootUtil on a bootable EFI USB stick. I was able to update it to ISCSI+UEFI, however I am unable to configure the ISCSI port. 

1. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15755/intel-ethernet-connections-boot-utility-preboot-images-and-efi-drivers.html

2. When I try to run bootutil64e.efi -NIC=2 -Bootenable=iscsiprimary it does assign the port as primary.

0 Kudos
sam5280
Beginner

Could it also be that the Dell bios on the workstation doesn't support the NIC features? 

0 Kudos
sam5280
Beginner

I am wondering are there Intel iscsi nics that are UEFI compatible without requiring legacy bios to configure iscsi on the nic?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello sam5280,

Thank you for the quick reply and providing some details of the issue. However, I still need the following details for me to check and validate your question about the compatibility of bootUTIL and legacy BIOS.

1. Please provide a photo of your card on both sides for us to validate if your card is an OEM card or a retail card.
  2. Please provide a screenshot of the issue or error so that we can also check where are you getting the error message.
  3. Regarding your question if the BIOS supports this feature, have you tried checking with Dell if they support this feature? They are the best team who can confirm this because we are not aware on the compatibility test that they did during the production of the board.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello sam5280,

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. I am just making a follow up on the information that we requested for us to further check the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello sam5280,

I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos