Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK on Windows 10?

CMcNe
Beginner

Hello. I own a Dell XPS 9100 from mid-2010. It has onboard nic (Realtek) and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. My problem started when I upgraded to Windows 10 and all network connections were destroyed. I had no resolution from Dell, Microsoft, or Realtek so I reverted completely back to Win7.

But it occurs to me now that I can disable onboard nic and install an add-in PCIe card and, of course, the logical choice was to look at the Intel cards. I found the Intel Gigabit CT on Amazon and someone posted a blurb about the embedded ethernet controller (82574L). So I Googled Windows 10 and Ethernet and I see that Intel has Win10 drivers but they appear to be for many other cards besides the 82574L.

I'd love to get my free copy of Windows 10 and I'd love for my network access to function (I work from home a couple days a week). Will I be able to install this card under Windows 7 Home and upgrade to Windows 10 and find appropriate drivers?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi ChrisMcN,

Thank you for the post. There is no Windows 10 driver for Gigabit CT desktop adapter yet, you may refer to our download center ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50395/Intel-Gigabit-CT-Desktop-Adapter Intel® Download Center) . Since you are using a Dell* system, it is recommended to check with them if the system support Windows* 10 to ensure compatibility, you may also check with Microsoft* if they provide built-in driver for the components embedded on the system.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
CMcNe
Beginner

Yeah, I tried that route. The machine is from 2010 and in computer years that's ancient. Therefore, Dell has not tested it for compliance with Windows 10 and I suspect that they will not force Realtek to update the drivers for this hardware combination. That's really why I'm considering a separate Ethernet add-in card so I can disable the onboard. When my WinX upgrade failed miserably, Microsoft said, "Oh I see this is for an untested Dell. We don't support this configuration..." And I had installed Windows 10 on top of itself several times so couldn't use the Go Back To... option. Quite ugly. I'll wait until an add-in card has WinX drivers. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
JDeck
Beginner

Are drivers for the EXPI9301CT in the works, or do I need to go shopping? If they are in the works, any idea of the timeframe?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi jimdecker,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

Our latest driver, version 20.2, doesn't support the Intel EXPI9301CT Adapter. I will check on this.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
JDeck
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

Have you figured anything out on this?

Thank you!

Jim

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Jim,

Thanks for writing back.

Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter can support these MS Windows* versions - XP, Vista, 7, 8, Server 2003 and 2008. Driver and software updates for Windows* 10 are not planned for this adapter model. For more information on operating system supported by Gigabit CT Adapter, please refer to website below:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000ctdesktop/sb/CS-033784.htm Operating System Support for Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
JDeck
Beginner

Ugh. I bought this card 2 months ago. I bought Intel thinking I was getting the best and would have a card that would last. Thanks for replying Sandy.

Jim

0 Kudos