Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Intel I210 Blue Screening Windows when speed test is run

jorgecarousel
Beginner

Hi guys,

For some reason every time I run a speed test on this card and it goes faster than 700 Mbps it blue screens Windows 10 saying there was a problem with NETIO.SYS, it doesn't happen when the speed is lower, only when it it running fast.

Any ideas what can be causing this and how to fix it?

I already installed the latest driver to the PC.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for the reply and we are sorry to hear that the recommendations did not help in fixing the issue. 

Please check the following details and test your connection again if it will be able to reach more than 100mbps.

1. Ensure that Speed & Duplex settings on Advanced tab property of the Intel Ethernet Controller is set to Auto Negotiation. 

2. Lower the value or turn off interrupt moderation as this is best for handling many small packets so the driver is more responsive to incoming and outgoing packets.

3. Disable other Ethernet connection features such as offloading, Energy Efficient Ethernet, and flow control.

If this doesn't help, can you try installing the 27.2 version again as this is the version you used before wherein you are able to reach 700mbps.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your query.

1. Can you provide the exact model of your I210? Is it embedded on your motherboard? If yes, please provide the brand and model of the motherboard used

2. Which site are you running speed test? Have you tried running it on other site? If yes, do you encounter the same issue?

3. Will you be able to share screenshot of the blue screen so we can further check?

4. Do you encounter and performance issue on your i210?

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

1. All Device Manager says is Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, it is attached to the MoBo, that is in the HP Z840 Workstation.

2. I tried using speedtest.net and dowloaded their app, it blue screened on both as soon as it went pass 700 Mbps.

3. I don't have a screenshot of the blue screen, all I remember is that it referenced the file NETIO.SYS

4. Yes it runs pretty slow from time to time (sometimes downloading at Kbps)

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

This file was left in the minidump folder of Windows when it blue screened.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please provide the System Support Utility (SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below on how to extract the logs.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Additionally, if you can provide us screenshot of the blue screen we would highly appreciate it as we will be escalating this to our engineers later on for further checking. 

We'd also like to set your expectation that we have a limited support for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller and it would be best if you can also get in touch with HP for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

Here is the list of System Manufacturers

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

HP Support

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for providing the SSU logs as per our request. 

We noticed that there are 2 Integrated Ethernet Controller on your system. One Integrated Intel I210AT PCIe GbE Controller and Integrated Intel I218LM PCIe GbE Controller. With this, we'd like to check if the issue is also present when using Integrated Intel I218LM PCIe GbE Controller? If you haven't tried it yet, we would suggest trying it out and in case the issue occurs as well, please provide us a screenshot so we can further check. 

Please also let us know if you have submitted a ticket to HP regarding this issue.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

I tried, but I didn't get more than 100 Mbps from that slot, it might be the ISP or congestion, but the issue only happens when the test goes over 700 Mbps, so it might take a while.

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

Did you find anything in the file from the SSU or the minidump file? the second slot (i218) is never used on this machine, I would use it if Microsoft did not take the NIC teaming off Windows 10, but while I can run the test and the speed gets higher than 700 Mbps for the i218 can something be done to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

I just got this BSOD from the i218 slot.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to further check this request internally. We will further review the logs provided and rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

I don't think this has anything to do with the Blue Screen issue, but I had to disable all the offload settings from the NIC in order for the computer to communicate with the virtual machines in the system.

Is that also something you can take a look at?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for the additional information provided. We will also look into it and we hope you don't mind providing the details below that would help with further investigation.

1. When was the issue first encountered?

2. Is there any software of hardware changes prior to issue?

3. Did you installed new software or performed any update on your system?

4. You mentioned that you just got this BSOD from the i218 slot as well, can you confirm if you ran a speed test when the issue occurred? Or did it occurred out or nowhere?

5. Based on SSU logs, drivers installed is from Intel, can you try installing the driver from manufacturer as this might be a compatibility issue? We would suggest contacting HP support to obtain the latest driver.

6. The dump file provided seems to be corrupted and we weren't able to read it. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

1. The machine used to have Linux and never had this problem, we just switched it to Windows a couple of months ago, that's when we started seeing the issue happen.

2. No hardware, just the OS from Linux to Windows.

3. Windows has issues with another device (a RAID card) and it won't update pass build 1909, so no updates

4. Yes, the BSOD happened when speed test was running

5. I did that, but as I told you before, I have to wait for a good time when I can run the speed test again.

6. That's weird, I was able to read it with WinDBG and it said there was a problem with drivers.

I will try Speed test again this week to see if it blue screens, although I checked the device's properties and it says the driver is from Intel and the version was the same after I uninstalled the Intel drivers.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for providing the additional information as per our request. 

Please allow us to further check the issue with our engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please try the following recommendation and share the result with us.

1. Are you using a 3rd party antivirus? If yes, try to have it off or uninstalled and use the inbox Windows antivirus (Windows Defender) for isolation.

2. Follow the clean driver installation procedure below then test both HP and Intel driver.

Refer to Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

3. You may also try the inbox driver for Windows 10 without Intel Proset software installed. Meaning, you won't install driver from HP or Intel.

4. Try to change the LAN cable for isolation. Reason for this as the issue only happens on higher speed.

5. Have you already updated the system's firmware to latest? If not, we recommend this to be updated as well. However, it is very important to coordinate with HP support for the version and proper procedure.  

6. Do you encounter the issue only when using Speedtest? How about normal usage? Can you download a large file and check if it will also encounter an error once it reaches 700 Mbps? Can you also try different utility aside from Speed test?

7. Do you see any yellow bang in the device manager?

After following the recommendations and issue still persist, you may also contact Microsoft further checking and to provide you other Windows utility or procedure how to diagnose and resolve driver related issues.

Microsoft Support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface

Please also be reminded that we are only doing our best effort support. As the OEM controls the driver, firmware and product quality, your system manufacturer is still the best source of support.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

My goodness this is going nowhere.

1. Yes, Antivirus is installed, i turned it off when running one of the tests.

2. I did that, no driver from Microsoft or HP, but directly from Intel.

3. That's how I first noticed the issue, before I installed the Intel drivers.

4. Done, I even moved my desk to another location.

5. BIOS is the latest.

6. Blue Screen ONLY happens when speed goes higher than 700 Mbps, therefore normal usage is not affected.

7. There are no yellow bang in Device Manager

I already contacted Microsoft, they said to contact HP, but they also have no answer.

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

This is weird, I uninstalled the Intel drivers and left it using the ones from Microsoft, but I'm getting less than 100Mbps while other computers in the network are getting 800-900 Mbps.

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

I noticed there is a newer version of the Intel driver (27.3), I downloaded it and installed it (without ProSet) but the speed didn't improve, it is showing me no more than 100 Mbps downloading.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jorgecarousel,

Thank you for the reply and we are sorry to hear that the recommendations did not help in fixing the issue. 

Please check the following details and test your connection again if it will be able to reach more than 100mbps.

1. Ensure that Speed & Duplex settings on Advanced tab property of the Intel Ethernet Controller is set to Auto Negotiation. 

2. Lower the value or turn off interrupt moderation as this is best for handling many small packets so the driver is more responsive to incoming and outgoing packets.

3. Disable other Ethernet connection features such as offloading, Energy Efficient Ethernet, and flow control.

If this doesn't help, can you try installing the 27.2 version again as this is the version you used before wherein you are able to reach 700mbps.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jorgecarousel
Beginner

I believe the disabling of interrupt moderation did it since everything else (offloading and flow control) were already disabled and blue screening, but I disabled interrupt moderation and was able to run a Speed Test that gave me more than 700 Mbps (I saw over 800 Mbps) without blue screening.

Thank you very much for all your help.

0 Kudos