Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Intel I217/I218 Wake On Lan Not Working

MSche11
Beginner

On these two network adapters the wake on lan IS working if the unit goes to sleep/hibernate/off and you wake up within a few minutes. If you leave it to sleep/hibernate/off and try to wake up after hours (as we'd being doing in production environment) it does NOT wake up. I have other model network adapters that work such as Realtek and Broadcom using the same settings in the network adapter power management tab. Also, I have the latest drivers for the I217/I218 (version 12.12.80.1950) and for the BIOS. I have seen issues where when this network adapter resumes from sleep or hibernate that is loses network connection but I can't even get that far. If I uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (which is checked on Realtek and others) it will turn off wake on lan feature completely. Not sure if it has anything to do with that. Wake on Magic Packet is enabled in advanced settings. Please help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

It is not adapters, just PHY chips, so wake-up capabilities depends on motherboard, chipset and BIOS, also on PSU (+5VSB stand-by power). So, what motherboards do you have issues with?

0 Kudos
MSche11
Beginner

These are HP motherboards, the 2215, 2216, 2255. The 221C works and the only difference is that is has a Realtek adapter.
0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Intelnicnotworking,

Please check in the BIOS if there is any wake on lan option need to enable. Have you also contact the motherobard vendor regarding this issue as this is onboard NIC.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos