Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel I217-LM Connection Failure On Reboot

SFlan3
Beginner

I have an issue with a classroom of Dell 7020 AIO computers that are using an Intel I217-LM adapter. It seems that when these computers are rebooted, several of them, all random and never the same ones fail to reconnect to the network. They are all showing connected but are pulling an APIPA address. Strangely enough, all of these machines are statically addressed, not DHCP. Additionally, a simple click on the network adapter to disable then enable it resolves the connection issue.

I have investigated several possibilities, have made sure that these adapters have the latest drives from Intel and verified a few other obvious issues like a switch issue. We are not using IPv6 here, so I have disabled IPv6 as well. These machines do not have wireless adapters nor do they have any Virtual adapters to contend with that could be causing a conflict.

Has anyone seen this behavior before and if so did you come up with a resolution?

Lastly, I have been to Dell's site where I have updated the BIOS on all machines as well as the chip set.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi SRFlanigan,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. What is the operating system installed and have you tried updating to the driver from Dell* as this is an onboard NIC on their system, it is recommended to use customized driver from the board vendor (as I understand you updated the BIOS and chipset already).

What is the brand and model of your switch?

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
SFlan3
Beginner

The OS is Windows 7 (Enterprise). The driver version from Dell was 12.15.23.9. I had updated to this version from Dell a couple of weeks but this did not resolve the issue. I then found driver version 12.15.25.6 on the Intel site. I know it is not a huge difference in the versions but I updated it anyway. Again, this didn't resolve the issue.

As far as the switch goes, I do not have physical control over these devices, but I know for a fact they are Cisco switches, and in this case I "believe" the model number is 3750.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SRFlanigan,

Thank you for the information. I did not encounter said issue but I managed to find this website which has similar issue (with different setup not exactly same as yours). And the switch they used is also 3750. You might want to refer to the information therein (Please note this website is provided here for your reference, Intel is not endorsing or has control over the website content since this is a third party website)

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/446922-static-ip-devices-receiving-169-address-after-reboot

You may also contact Dell* support as these are onboard NIC on their system. It is recommended you contact the system manufacturer. Thank you.

rgds

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SRFlanigan,

Please feel free to update me if you have contacted Dell* support and if there is other inquiries?

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos