Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Intel I218-LM and Symantec Endpoint Causing Loss of Ethernet

cgile1
Beginner

I see that a driver was recently released to address an issue with SEP and sleep. I have this driver installed on my laptop, a Lenovo T450s, driver version 12.12.80.1950. I have not experienced the problem that this driver was to correct, so I suppose that it is indeed fixed. However, I am experiencing another problem that perhaps this driver may have broken.

It seems SEP 12.1.5 has a problem with this card/driver and file transfers. If I initiate a transfer of several hundred MB or a couple GB then it'll copy about 10 MB and I'll lose the Ethernet connection. A reboot will get the NIC working again and this problem does not effect the wireless. It'll also drop off while surfing the Internet, not downloading anything but the websites, so the size of the download doesn't play a role. Uninstalling SEP also fixes the problem, though I must have antivirus on our corporate computers.

Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Cgiles,

Thank you for the post. Where did you download driver version 12.12.80.1950 and what is the operating system?

Have you check with Lenovo about this issue?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cgile1
Beginner

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds035977 Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software (Gigabit Ethernet Driver) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) -…

The OS is Win7 x64.

edit: I did not contact Lenovo. They typically don't support their drivers/software and I know the driver really came from Intel, who had a previous problem with SEP.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Cgiles,

Thank you for the information. I will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Cgiles,

Please refer to information below , hopefully could be of some help:

1) Please try disable the power management option in the property of I218LM in device manager

2) Regarding the transferring of the file of several hundred MB or a couple GB then it'll copy about 10 MB then disconnect, does this same issue occur if you tried to transfer file lower than 100 MB, like if it will copy about 10 MB then disconnect?

3) What was the driver version for I218LM before that you encountered the SEP and sleep issue? Is the SEP version 12.1.5 as well?

4) Have you contacted Symantec support about this issue?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cgile1
Beginner

1. I have tried that before posting after finding online that the PM could cause this issue.

2. Sometimes it will copy small amounts, but it will eventually drop out. I've had it drop when only surfing the net.

3. This is a brand new (to us) laptop model (t450s). We haven't used any driver other than the latest from Lenovo (12.12.80.1950). I tried the latest Intel driver package from 6/2/15 which installed v. 12.12.80.19, we are still experiencing the issue. I don't want to go back in revisions b/c we'll run into the problem with SEP and the card not working coming out of sleep mode that the latest revision fixed.

4. I have not; I plan on making calls today. I've been busy but have the time to look into it this week.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Cgiles,

Thank you for getting back to us. Please get in touch with Lenovo support for them to further assist you and check if there is any customized driver that can address to this on your notebook.

Hope to hear good news from you.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cgile1
Beginner

Sorry I haven't posted the resolution, I've been busy. We, Symantec and I, found this issue. Turns out as we've been upgrading our SEP server the firewall policy has not actually been upgrading along with it. There were a ton more rules that we didn't have in our policy. We deleted the old policy and created a new policy from the default. We now have all the rules and everything works. The only thing I can think of is that at some point there was a definition update to the firewall or something and that's when we started having issues. Just a guess b/c the server and network had been running fine up till a few weeks ago.

That was a weird one.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi cgiles,

Thanks for your reply and sharing your findings with us. Glad to know that your server is up and running fine.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos