Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4791 Discussions

Intel I218-V - slow transfers FROM gigabit capable devices

VVilc
Novice

I have a desktop (1) PC with a Asus z97 Pro (wifi ac) motherboard and Intel I218-V NIC running Windows 8.1 Pro. I've been using it over Wifi, but recently ran a cable to it to get better transfer to/from my gigabit-capable Synology ds213j NAS. The transfers from NAS for some reason averaged 150 KB/s, but transfers to NAS are reasonable 70 MB/s. After troubleshooting I've identified that issue appears only in transfers FROM gigabit capable devices. Would be nice if anyone could help identify the reason and solve it.

Just updated to Intel PROSet driver version 20.0.10.0, but that didn't help. The link status was set to auto negotiation and speed was 1 Gbps/Full Duplex. Pinging any of the devices had minimal 1-5 ms latency.

Below I summary of troubleshooting with various connected devices to identify the problem and everything seems to point to I218-V adapter. I sent this information to Asus already about 2 months ago, but so far have not gotten back anything more than "yes, it'looks like a driver issue, we are investigating". It's getting annoying, I am considering to return the board and buy another, but I see that most of Z97 based boards are using same NIC. I got this board after returning two Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH boards with faulty RAM slots, those boards used Intel I217V adapter and didn't have any transfer speed problems.

When I did troubleshooting I used driver 19.0.5.0 (if I remember correctly, basically latest of 19.x). At that point transfers to desktop (1) averaged out at 5 MB/s instead of 150 KB/s as currently. Not sure when and why it dropped, but it happened before I updated drivers, I haven't had any notable changes in hardware/infrastructure, might be caused somehow by to Windows Update (it didn't install network drivers, but did install Intel Management Engine Interface update). I also have OSX installed on this machine (I know it's not officially supported) and it still receives data at 5 MB/s from NAS.

TROUBLESHOOTING data sent to Asus

For comparison I started up my old desktop (2) PC running Windows 8 Pro on Gigabyte x58A-UD3R motherboard with Realtek RTL8111E 1Gbit NIC to see how it behaves. I tested copying files of size 1.5 GB. It transfers from NAS with ~100 MB/s, but transfers to with 40 MB/s (not sure why so low, but that is not an issue at the moment).

More interestingly desktop (1) transfers to desktop (2) with ~100 MB/s, but transfer from (2) to (1) is terribly slow ~500KB/s (jumping 0-100). It doesn't matter if they are connected via switch or directly with 1m CAT5e cable. Also I saw transfers from (1) to (2) sometimes drop or even start at ~ 20 MB/s, even when connected directly.

Additionally I tested transfers from my Dell n5110 laptop with 100 Mbit NIC and for it both, uploads and downloads, maxed out at 11 MB/s with all devices.

My friend's laptop with gigabit NIC experienced also had slow 500 KB/s (jumping 0-100) transfer to desktop (1), but in all other cases (transfer from (1) or to/from desktop (2)) it was stable at ~100 MB/s.

Summary of devices:

• Desktop1 - Windows 8.1 Pro on Asus z97 Pro (wifi ac) motherboard with Intel I218-V NIC
  • Desktop2 - Windows 8 Pro on Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard with Realtek
  • NAS - Synology ds213j
  • Laptop - Dell n5110, Windows 8.1, RTL8105E-VB 100 Mbit NIC
  • FriendsLaptop - Dell, Windows 8, Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Below is summary of transfer speeds between devices. In most case they were connected via D-Link DGS-105/E gigabit switch. I also tried direct connections to Desktop1, but that didn't have any positive effect. Desktop1 also has Linux Min 17.1 and OS X 10.10 installed and they had similar issues with transfers. I know they are not officially supported, just pointing out as additional information.

Transfer speeds ( arrow indicates direction )

Desktop1 < NAS = 5 MB/s ( sometimes around

Desktop1 < Desktop2 = 500 KB/s (unstable, jumps 0-1000)

Desktop1 < FriendsLaptop = 500 KB/s (unstable, jumps 0-1000)

Desktop2 < Desktop1 = 100 MB/s (in some cases just 20 MB/s)

Desktop2 < NAS = 100 MB/s

Desktop2 < FriendsLaptop = 100 MB/s

NAS < Desktop1 = 70 MB/s

NAS < Desktop2 = 40 MB/s

NAS < FriendsLaptop = (forgot make a note, but it was high)

Laptop [All devices] = 11 MB/s

FriendsLaptop < Desktop1 = 100 MB/s

FriendsLaptop < Desktop2 = 100 MB/s

FriendsLaptop < NAS = (forgot make a note, but it was high)

Transfer speeds with Desktop1 booted into Linux Mint 17.1 and OS X 10.10

Desktop1_Linux < NAS = 700 KB/s

Desktop1_Linux < Desktop2 = 70 KB/s

Desktop1_OSX < NAS = 5 MB/s

Desktop1_OSX < Desktop2 = 100 KB/s

Desktop2 < Desktop1_Linux = 43 MB/s

Desktop2 < Desktop1_OSX = 40 MB/s

NAS < Desktop1_Linux = 40 MB/s

NAS < Desktop1_OSX = 5 MB/s

This all seems to suggest an issue with the Intel I218-V NIC on Desktop 1 receiving data from gigabit capable devices. The fact that I had similar issues in Linux and OS X points to either a hardware problem or some generic problem within driver in code that is shared among platforms. Can it be a hardware problem?

Here's the list of things I tried in attempt to solve the issue:

• update to update to latest drivers installed with Intel PROSet software version 19.5.303.0 (version 12.12.90.19 shown in device manager)
  • downgrade to version 19.1.51.0 listed on Asus web site (version 12.11.96.1 shown in device manager)
  • unplugging all Fast Ethernet devices (TV, SetTopBox, Laptop) from network based on some forum suggestion.
  • updated UEFI firmware to latest version 2012
  • Verified that [Adapter Properties\Link Speed] section shows 1 Gbps\Full Duplex link status.
  • Tried to force to "1 Gbps Full Duplex" mode instead of "Auto Negotiation"
  • Ran Cable and Hardware tests via [Adapter Properties\LinkSpeed\Diagnostics]. I used 3 CAT5e cables, one 15m connected desktop 1 to switch, two 1m cables (one at the time) were used to connect switch to desktop 2 or desktops 1 to desktop 2 directly. As you see in posted test results they are contradicting. First it says no problems detected and then reports bad connection and ridiculous distance to problem of 65535 = 2^16 (suggests a default initial value in a program). However, using the 1m cable without any reported issues to directly connect both desktops still produced same transfer results.
  • Tried to change Gigabit Master Slave Mode in Advanced Adapter settings to "Forced Master Mode" instead of auto detect

CABLE TEST RESULTS

----------- 1 m cable_1 test

No cable problems detected.

Test details

Polarity : Normal

Local Receiver Status : Passed

Remote Receiver Status : Passed

Cable Offline Test

Poor quality cable detected

Possible causes: Faulty cable, faulty connector, or a speed/duplex mismatch. Verify that the speed/duplex setting on the switch/hub is configured for auto-negotiation.

Test details

Cable Quality

The test detected a bad connection.

Distance to problem: 65535 meters.

----------- 15 m cable test

No cable problems detected.

Test details

Cable Length : 21 Meters

Polarity : Normal

Local Receiver Status : Passed

Remote Receiver Status : Passed

Cable Offline Test

Poor quality cable detected

Possible causes: Faulty cable, faulty connector, or a speed/duplex mismatch. Verify that the spee...

24 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi voldemarz,

Thank you for the detail info. I will help further check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi voldemarz,

Please try the following:

1) Turn off energy efficient ethernet found in power management tab of adapter advanced properties

2) Increase the receive buffer size to see if improve rx performance

Hope these helps.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately they didn't help. The transfer speed still stuck at 150 KB/s.

Could there be some issue with the connector port on NIC?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for the update. I will further check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Please execute the following powershell command to provide the

etrackID and device ID.

get-Intelnetadapter | select *

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

Here's the full output:

PSComputerName : MELNAIS8

__GENUS : 2

__CLASS : IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter

__SUPERCLASS : IANet_EthernetAdapter

__DYNASTY : CIM_ManagedElement

__RELPATH : IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter.CreationClassName="IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter",DeviceID="{D1C5A2F0-9D82-4F17-845D-83BD0D15B076}",SystemCreationClassName="Win32_ComputerSystem",SystemName="MELNAIS8"

__PROPERTY_COUNT : 82

__DERIVATION : {IANet_EthernetAdapter, CIM_EthernetAdapter, CIM_NetworkAdapter, CIM_LogicalDevice...}

__SERVER : MELNAIS8

__NAMESPACE : root\intelncs2

__PATH : \\MELNAIS8\root\intelncs2:IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter.CreationClassName="IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter",DeviceID="{D1C5A2F0-9D82-4F17-845D-83BD0D15B076}",SystemCreationClassName="Win32_ComputerSystem",SystemName="MELNAIS8"

AdapterStatus : 51

AdditionalAvailability : {3}

AlignmentErrors :

AutoSense :

Availability : 3

BusType : 7

Capabilities : {32, 33, 34, 43...}

CapabilityDescriptions : {, , , ...}

Caption : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

CarrierSenseErrors :

ConnectionName : Ethernet

ControllerID :

CreationClassName : IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter

DeferredTransmissions :

Description : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

DeviceID : {D1C5A2F0-9D82-4F17-845D-83BD0D15B076}

DeviceStatus : 1

DeviceStatusString : Link Up

DriverVersion : 12.11.96.1

EEELinkStatus : 0

EEPROMVersion :

EnabledCapabilities :

ErrorCleared :

ErrorDescription :

ETrackID : 0x00000000

ExcessiveCollisions :

ExtendedStatus : 0

FCSErrors :

FrameTooLongs :

FullDuplex : True

HardwareStatus : 1

IdentifyingDescriptions :

InstallDate :

InternalMACReceiveErrors :

InternalMACTransmitErrors :

LastErrorCode :

LateCollisions :

MaxDataSize :

MaxQuiesceTime :

MaxSpeed : 1000000000

MediaType : 1

MiniPortInstance : {D1C5A2F0-9D82-4F17-845D-83BD0D15B076}

MiniPortName : e1dexpress

MultipleCollisionFrames :

Name : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

NegotiatedLinkSpeed : 65535

NegotiatedLinkWidth : 1

NetworkAddresses : {10C37B952602, 10C37B952602}

OctetsReceived :

OctetsTransmitted :

OriginalDisplayName : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

OtherCapabilityDescriptions :

OtherEnabledCapabilities :

OtherEnabledCapabilityIDs :

OtherIdentifyingInfo :

OtherMediaType :

OtherPhyDevice :

OTPVersion :

PartitionNumber : 65535

PartNumber :

PCIDeviceID : VEN_8086&DEV_15a1&SUBSYS_104385c4&REV_00&0&c8

PermanentAddress : 10C37B952602

PHYDevice : 0

PortNumber : 65535

PowerManagementCapabilities :

PowerManagementSupported :

PowerOnHours :

SanMacAddress :

SingleCollisionFrames :

SlotID : 0:25:0:0

Speed : 1000000000

SpeedString : 1,00 Gbps/Full Duplex

SQETestErrors :

StatusInfo : 3

SymbolErrors :

SystemCreationClassName : Win32_ComputerSystem

SystemName : MELNAIS8

TotalPacketsReceived :

TotalPacketsTransmitted :

TotalPowerOnHours :

Scope : System.Management.ManagementScope

Path : \\MELNAIS8\root\intelncs2:IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter.CreationClassName="IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter",DeviceID="{D1C5A2F0-9D82-4F17-845D-83BD0D15B076}",SystemCreationClassName="Win32_ComputerSystem",SystemName="MELNAIS8"

Options : System.Management.ObjectGetOptions

ClassPath : \\MELNAIS8\root\intelncs2:IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter

Properties : {AdapterStatus, AdditionalAvailability, AlignmentErrors, AutoSense...}

SystemProperties : {__GENUS, __CLASS, __SUPERCLASS, __DYNASTY...}

Qualifiers : {dynamic}

Site :

Container :

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for the information. I will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
Richmond_S_Intel
Employee

HI voldemarz,

It looks like you have a hardware issue indeed. Can you confirm if you have gigabit connections from NAS to Switch to Desktop1? I just want to make sure that all the network connections are in 1Gb.

I would also like to check if you have tried using Windows drivers only to see if you encounter the same issue. I just want to make sure that we all grounds covered before checking with the business unit. By any chance do you have a similar board with onboard I218-V ethernet controller that you can use?

Thanks,

Rich
0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

Confirming gigabit connection NAS -> Switch -> Desktop1:

1) NAS:

Control Panel -> Netwrok Interface -> Network Status: 1000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500

2) Switcht:

Lights on the back ports are green indicating gigabit link speed. There is one orange, but that is connected to TV. Also as mentioned in long troubleshooting report, connecting devices directly without switch didn't help:

I also tried direct connections to Desktop1, but that didn't have any positive effect.

3) Desktop1:

Adapter Properties -> Configure -> Link Speed: 1.00 Gbps/Full Duplex

Windows drivers

I didn't remember if I tried using Windows drivers. I now tried uninstalling Intel drivers, but then adapter didn't work. It was recognized and showed up in device manager as generic "Ethernet Adapter" (or something similar, I forgot...) without drivers and had this info in Device Status:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

I enabled on-board WIFI to let Windows search automatically online (I guess in Windows Update), but it didn't find.

Other board with I218-V

No, I don't have other boards with same adapter. That would have been the first thing to try if I had one..

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

By the way what kind of hardware problem could it be? Shouldn't hardware diagnostic tests identify that?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for the info. We will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Further checking the major issue lies in the transfer rate from desktop 1 to NAS as compared to the other transfer tests. Please try to use another HDD on the same system for the transfer. Please feel free to update the result

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

What's the point? Transfer rates copying to NAS have been identified in initial troubleshooting:

NAS < Desktop1 = 70 MB/s

NAS < Desktop1_Linux = 40 MB/s

NAS < Desktop1_OSX = 5 MB/s

The transfer rate from Desktop_1 to NAS has never been an issue on Windows, only on OS X which you don't support officially anyways. I have two drives in Desktop_1, one is Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD, other is WD RED 3TB HDD, and copying from one to another is very fast, 100+ MB/s, showing that drives are not the issue. Using one or the other as copy source/target when interacting with NAS doesn't make a difference.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for the reply. Let me check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

Any more suggestions? I am about send the board back to the retailer next week.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for the follow up. We are still checking on this and will update you as soon as there is any finding. Apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

Something weird just happened... Since I was expecting / planning to return the board, I decided to reinstall Windows and try Windows 10 for few days. The installation ISO image was on the DiskStation NAS. Before retrieving it manually with usb stick, I booted into Windows to backup some files and tried to copy ISO over network. And guess what, it was transferring at about 20 MB/s (still not close to 100 MB/s that actually should be). Transfer from PC to NAS also was about 20 MB/s.

I am really puzzled why sudden speed increase since I haven't haven't had any hardware, software or infrastructure / cable changes recently. For last few weeks I've been almost exclusively using OSX. I booted back into OSX to test how NIC behaves there, transfer from NAS was 100-110 MB/s, transfer to NAS was 30-50 MB/s.

So, the good news is that NIC is capable of transferring data at gigabit speeds. However, NIC still doesn't perform as it should and it's not clear why. It behaves differently in different OSes and also its behavior changes over time. Windows data:

* Initially transfers from NAS were 70 MB/s, now ~40 MB/s

* Initially transfers to NAS were 5 MB/s, then at a later points 150 KB/s and now 20 MB/s

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for sharing the updates and it is good to know the performance has improved. Please contact Asus to check on the board it seems something wrong with the I218-V on the board. So far there is no driver issue reported so please check with Asus if they have other boards having the same issue.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
VVilc
Novice

After installing Windows 10 Technical Preview I was having issue with start not showing up and settings app not opening, so I ended up reinstalling Windows 8.1. And now NIC performs as expected in Windows as well, ~100 MB/s transfer from NAS and ~50 MB/s to NAS.

In Ubuntu 50 MB/s copy to NAS and 30 MB/s copy from NAS.

As I explained, I don't understand what caused NIC to start working properly since I didn't change hardware or any configuration. Can one OS affect the way NIC performs in an another OS? Can NIC permanently store some configuration data in some internal memory? I am curious if my previous Windows installation could have been causing this since a fresh installation performs better.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Voldemarz,

Thank you for the update and indeed good to know the performance has improved. The configuration data would load every time operating system loads the NIC driver.

There are many factors or other reasons causing slowness.Please try monitor the apps or updates installed on the system.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos