Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel NIC driver 25.1.1 for network adapters i211 and i218V crashes system

MSchn22
Beginner

Hi all,

Tried NIC driver version 25.1.1 right after release (ca. 1 month ago).  After installation, the Intel driver found no adapters and when checking in Device Manager - Network Adapter, instead of "Device working properly", it displayed something like "device is still installing" (same on both NIC's) but it did not finish after waiting 1 day. Could even no longer install the old 25 version with the same effects, it was necessary to fully reinstall Win 10 from backup. The Win 10 version 2004 OS build 19041.388 works now again with only 1 NIC. Would really appreciate to have a box with both NIC's and teaming working again as before with the previous Win 10 version. Thanks for all suggestions.

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchn22,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities and we sincerely apologize for the delay on our response. We are now done with the system upgrade and we will be glad to continue assisting you. 

Can you share if you have the same issue when using the latest Intel Ethernet generic driver version form the link below?

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack Version: 25.2 (Latest)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle C,

Thank your asking. System (Win10 2004 OS build 19041.450) crashed exactly as with 25.1.1. It was necessary to install everything from an earlier backup. The reason for not posting this is: Have given up with Intel drivers. There once was a time when new Intel NIC drivers could be installed easily and they worked. This time obviously is now over. Of course, more info can be provided but assume nobody cares.

Best regards,

Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that this have caused. 

Just to clarify, you have restored your earlier back up and now it is working fine? If yes, please advise if you wish to keep this request open or if you have any additional assistance needed. In case none, please do not hesitate to let us know if you want to proceed with request closure.

We look forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hello Crisselle C

restored your earlier back up and now it is working fine?

Yes, but with only one LAN adapter and with the old 25.0 drivers (I218-V disabled and not plugged-in) . Would appreciate to use latest drivers and both NIC's. Here the output of Device Manager after installation of 25.2 and teaming:

"Driver Version 4/20/2020
Version 12.18.9.23

Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
Network Adapters
Intel
PCI Bus 0, device 25, function0

Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

The device isn't using any resources because it has a problem

Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in the computer."

The problem occurs with teaming, just drivers works.

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the quick response.

Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Here it is.

Cheers, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for providing the requested information. 

Please allow us to investigate the issue you encountered. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

While we are checking on this, we hope you don't mind providing the following information for us to further investigate the issue. 

1.) When was the issue first occurred? Is there any software/hardware changes made prior to the issue?

2.) Have you tried using the drivers provided by your manufacturer and check if the issue would still persist? Based on the SSU logs provided, you are using motherboard from Asus. It would be best if you can also try their drivers since you are using an OEM Ethernet controller. 

3.) Have you tried performing clean driver installation? You may refer to the steps below.

a. Download the Network Adapter Driver package from Intel website or Asus(preferred)

b. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Ethernet controller and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

c. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

d. Install the Network Adapter Driver

4.) Just to clarify, are the i211 and i218 Ethernet controllers both embedded on your motherboard? Meaning, you have two NICs on your system? 

Looking forward to hear from you.

We will reach out after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle

Actually have answered already but the message obviously did not get through. Sorry for the delay.

When was the issue first occurred? Is there any software/hardware changes made prior to the issue?

When you mean as issue the crashes, the first occurred right after installation of 25.1.1, and that was a day or two after you published the update. No changes before. 

Have you tried using the drivers provided by your manufacturer and check if the issue would still persist?

No, never used those, always Intel, since years. 

> Have you tried performing clean driver installation? You may refer to the steps below.

Yes , to safe the 25.1.1 installation, without success.

> are the i211 and i218 Ethernet controllers both embedded on your motherboard?

Yes, an I218-V and an I211. 

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

How are you today?

Kindly provide the requested information for us to further check your request. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to further check your query. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

While we are checking on this, can you confirm if you are experiencing the same issue raised by other users on this thread? 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-R-Ethernet-Connection-11-I219-V-Unable-to-install-intel/td-p/1187251/page/3

Please also provide the exact model of your Asus motherboard as it was not captured on the SSU logs. 

We look forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

confirm if you are experiencing the same issue raised by other users on this thread?

Two answers:

a) Have been on an 25.1.1 thread until this was abandoned by Intel moderator, opened a new thread then upon his request.

b) No problems with phantom adapters. If one of the Device Managers of your customers did not find Intel adapters, yes had that too with 25.1.1 and 25.2. 

> exact model of your Asus motherboard 

ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1, serial no. E8MCAD588891, part-no. 90MB0JF0-M0EAY0, check no. 1740, Rev. 1.03, BIOS 4101 of 2019/07/17. The ASUS LAN drivers for this mobo on their support page are version 20.1.2019.0 of 2015/08/06. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify, the issue you are encountering right now is with Teaming? 

You provided this information before

Driver Version 4/20/2020

Version 12.18.9.23

Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Network Adapters

Intel

PCI Bus 0, device 25, function0

The device isn't using any resources because it has a problem

Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in the computer."

Can you confirm if both of these errors are seen during driver installation or once the driver was installed? And these are only seen on I218-V, no problems with your I211?

Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in the computer.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

< the issue you are encountering right now is with Teaming? 

For versions 25.1.1 and 25.2 it was always with teaming. The LAN driver can be installed and seems to be working. But as soon as teaming is configured, the problems starts as stated. Most prominently displayed in Device Manager. I would liked to tell you after which step in teaming it crashed but I can't. Would have to try again and then restore the system.

> Can you confirm if both of these errors are seen during driver installation or once the driver was installed?

Yes, absolutely. These errors occurred first with 25.1.1 and then with 25.2.

> And these are only seen on I218-V, no problems with your I211?

Cannot answer tat. For teaming you need both. Currently both NIC's are seen in Device Manager but only one, I211, is enabled. The I218V is disabled and the cable for it disconnected because when it is connected, Windows is confused. Could as well have disabled it in BIOS. Disconnecting is just simpler.

> Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

> Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

< Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in the computer.

> Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in the computer.

Yes, these were seen in Display Manager. Waited for 1 day, no change. Windows seems to hang (wrt. Error 56).

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the clarification.

Before we further investigate this issue with our engineers, will you be able to try out the driver provided by Asus? We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Asus system. For Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they might have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

Product Support for X99-DELUXE/U3.1

https://www.asus.com/my/Motherboards/X99DELUXEU31/HelpDesk_Download/

I've also tried downloading the driver package for your Ethernet controller and noticed that it supports Teaming (based on readme.txt). We highly suggest checking this with Asus support for further verification and validation. 

Let us know if you have questions and clarifications.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Both LAN chips,  14186PP WGI211AT and EAR23A23 WGI218V are Intel designs and make. IMO if anybody knows how to use them, than it is the OEM. And the software at ASUS is, as already pointed out, from 2015. And you want me to test a 2015 driver with Windows of 2020! You must be kiddin'. Why should ASUS  have written in 2015 a driver suitable to a Windows of 2020?  It is Intel who has all the knowledge about its own hardware. 

Are trying to play the blame and shame game? 

Kind regards. Marcel 

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Both LAN chips,  14186PP WGI211AT and EAR23A23 WGI218V are Intel designs and make. IMO if anybody knows how to use them, than it is the OEM. And the software at ASUS is, as already pointed out, from 2015. And you want me to test a 2015 driver with Windows of 2020! You must be kiddin'. Why should ASUS  have written in 2015 a driver suitable to a Windows of 2020?  It is Intel who has all the knowledge about its own hardware. 

Are trying to play the blame and shame game? 

Kind regards. Marcel  Posted 2 times because no success message arrived

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

We understand your point and we sincerely apologize for the confusion.

We are just trying to educate our customers that the software drivers linked from our Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, OEMs might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on OEM system, Intel recommends to also check with OEMs and use the software provided via system manufacturer. 

But no worries, we will still check this issue with our engineers and ask for their feedback and recommendations.

We will provide an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Just one suggestion, do not want to interfere: You may have already noticed the I'm using dual stack. Don't know how you implement teaming in V6, just assume that you somehow have to do it because it could be used alone. 

Kind Regards,

Marcel

0 Kudos