Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel NIC driver 25.1.1 for network adapters i211 and i218V crashes system

MSchn22
Beginner

Hi all,

Tried NIC driver version 25.1.1 right after release (ca. 1 month ago).  After installation, the Intel driver found no adapters and when checking in Device Manager - Network Adapter, instead of "Device working properly", it displayed something like "device is still installing" (same on both NIC's) but it did not finish after waiting 1 day. Could even no longer install the old 25 version with the same effects, it was necessary to fully reinstall Win 10 from backup. The Win 10 version 2004 OS build 19041.388 works now again with only 1 NIC. Would really appreciate to have a box with both NIC's and teaming working again as before with the previous Win 10 version. Thanks for all suggestions.

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

Thank you for the additional information provided. 

Please be informed that we are still checking this request as part of our best effort support since this is an OEM. We are also involving higher level Engineers to sort this out as soon as possible. Rest assured that we will provide an update once we've heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

We hope you don't mind providing the additional information below as we need some clarifications regarding the issue you encountered. This would help us in further investigating the issue.

1.) Using 25.0, you are able to install the latest drivers on both NIC but as soon you configured Teaming, an error on second NIC occurs. That is why you disabled the second NIC after restoring the OS. Is that correct and errors below are seen?

Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

The device isn't using any resources because it has a problem

Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in the computer."

2.) For versions 25.1.1 and 25.2 it was always with teaming. The LAN driver can be installed and seems to be working. But as soon as teaming is configured, the problems starts as stated. Most prominently displayed in Device Manager. I would liked to tell you after which step in teaming it crashed but I can't. Would have to try again and then restore the system.

Based on your statement above, does this mean that you encountered same issue using 25.0, 25.1.1 and then 25.2? What was the last driver version that you are able to configure teaming properly and no errors encountered? Is it 25.0? 

What do you specifically mean by crashing? Is it hanging? Can you share more information about the 'Crashing' issue? The only way to revive the system is by restarting?

3.) You also mentioned this 'When you mean as issue the crashes, the first occurred right after installation of 25.1.1, and that was a day or two after you published the update. No changes before.' 

Can you please clarify if the issue on 25.1.1 is both crashing issue and with Teaming? 

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

> Using 25.0, you are able to install the latest drivers on both NIC but as soon you configured Teaming, an error on second NIC occurs.

IMO (it’s a long time since) 25.0 worked with teaming until MS introduced version 2004. This is also the first time I wrote to the forum about 2004 matter, together with others. You should be able to find traces of these communications in your archives. So, in short, 25.0 worked until Windows 2004 was published. Several people, including me, regretted about Intel not cooperating with MS or vice versa because after every new MS version we had to wait for Intel to catchup.

> .) For versions 25.1.1 and 25.2 it was always with teaming

Yes.

> Based on your statement above, does this mean that you encountered same issue using 25.0, 25.1.1 and then 25.2?

With 25.0 teaming was working until Win version 2004. 25.1.1 and 25,2 were never working with teaming.

> What was the last driver version that you are able to configure teaming properly and no errors encountered? Is it 25.0? 

Yes, until Win version 2004.

> Can you share more information about the 'Crashing' issue? The only way to revive the system is by restarting?

We're talking here about networking. Networking could only be restored to a non-teaming state by using an older backup copy. The "hang" is referred to " Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)" which never finished.

> Can you please clarify if the issue on 25.1.1 is both crashing issue and with Teaming? 

Pls refer to the Device Mgr. messages in your mail.

Kind regards.,

Marcel

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

By complete luck I found this posting:

Intel NIC driver 25.1.1 for network adapters i211 and i218V crashes system

Hi all,

Tried NIC driver version 25.1.1 right after release (ca. 1 month ago).  After installation, the Intel driver found no adapters and when checking in Device Manager - Network Adapter, instead of "Device working properly", it displayed something like "device is still installing" (same on both NIC's) but it did not finish after waiting 1 day. Could even no longer install the old 25 version with the same effects, it was necessary to fully reinstall Win 10 from backup. The Win 10 version 2004 OS build 19041.388 works now again with only 1 NIC. Would really appreciate to have a box with both NIC's and teaming working again as before with the previous Win 10 version. Thanks for all suggestions.

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for sharing this one. We will also check this and update you again.

And also, can you share some screenshots of the issue?

In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Michael,

> can you share some screenshots of the issue?

You probably mean when the system was hung (?). No. There would not much more than the Device Manager messages have been to share and these you know. In case of another test with maybe another Intel driver: Could you tell me what you want to see?

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We may request for the screenshots of errors in the future. But for now, please allow us to continue checking this issue with our engineers. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the patience.

Our engineers would like to check if you have tried the following information. We hope hope you won't mind sharing it as this will help us in further investigating the issue.

1.) Completely uninstall VPN client software

2.) Completely uninstall (all SW and drivers) the network adapter

3.) Power cycle system (Cold boot) power off then on.

4.) Let windows automatically configure the Ethernet Adapter.

5.) Install 25.2 PROSet SW/Drivers

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=139349

6.) Verify if Teaming can be established without error.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

> 4.) Let windows automatically configure the Ethernet Adapter.

Let me just tell you that tis will not be working. We have public IPv4 and public IPv6 addresses. Windows will never be able to find them but will configure DHCP instead. And although possible here, this is not intended.

Kind Regards,

Marcel

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Dear Crisselle,

Have re-installed networking on a slightly different workstation, SNSUSHI.SNNET.CH, 62.2.148.177, 2a02:aa08:4025::10c. ASUS Mobo x99 Deluxe II, BIOS 2102, with identical Intel NIC drivers as X99 Deluxe, BIOS 4102. Here is what happened:

No VPN clients installed.

Only 1 NIC driver, I211, installed, configured and working with public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Driver 12.18.11.1.

Uninstalled (removed) 25.0.0 in Programs and Features. This removed drivers, PROSet and ANS. Result: No NIC adapters in Device Manager.

Cold boot, waited several minutes with power switched off.

After reboot, installed second NIC adapter in BIOS, labelled "Intel LAN 1 Controller". For both adapters PXE option OFF and network stack DISABLED.

After Windows boot, no Intel PROSet in Programs and Features. Windows 10 configures Intel I211 and I218-V drivers. Versions in Device Manager: 12.17.10.8 (12/06/2018). 

In Network and Sharing Center, no IPv6. For IPv4 DHCP enabled, for IPv6 address, prefix and Link Local still configured correctly but both IPv6 DNS servers missing. Ethernet status: after entering DNS servers in I211, status OK, IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity OK for I211 (Ethernet).

Try to configure I218-V driver (Ethernet 2) with identical parameters as I211. Complains about address duplication. Stays on DHCP for IPv6, DNS servers accepted.

Installing PROWinx64.exe, installs drivers, PROSet and ANS.

In Programs and Features, Intel Network Connections 25.2.0.0 installed.

In Device Manager, driver 12.18.9.23 installed for I218-V and 12.18.11.1 installed for I211.

Warm reboot.

No ANS available for both drivers. IPv4 and IPv6 working albeit not with our public addresses for IPv4 and IPv6 only for I211 driver. Both IPv4 and IPv6 are pingable to/from the machine.

Conclusion: Generally 25.2 driver can be installed and is working but only for one NIC with both IP formats. No ANS available, so teaming for unknown reason cannot be installed.

Kind regards, Marcel 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the detailed answer provided.

Please allow me to forward this to our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-4 business days.

We appreciate your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

We have some clarifications about your previous answer and we hope you don't mind giving us additional information. 

You mentioned "No ANS available for both drivers. IPv4 and IPv6 working albeit not with our public addresses for IPv4 and IPv6 only for I211 driver. Both IPv4 and IPv6 are pingable to/from the machine."

Can you share if you tried Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility (ACU) to configure Teaming? Please see attached link

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/SW-Release-24-3-is-available-for-download-and-brings-driver/td-p/734439

"Note: Intel® PROSet ACU is only supported on Microsoft Windows Server 2019 and Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1809 (and later). If the installer detects that you are running either of these operating systems, Intel® PROSet ACU will be installed instead of Intel PROSet for Windows Device Manager.

The Intel® PROSet ACU is installed as part of the Intel® PROSet software. Once installed it can be launched from here: Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\PROSet\ACU\PROSetACU.exe or by accessing your Windows key and typing “Adapter Configuration”. You will need to run Intel® PROSet ACU as administrator (right click the application | select “run as administrator”)."

You may check this user guide for your reference

Configuring teams with Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility (Intel®

PROSet ACU) page 27.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28410/eng/Adapter_User_Guide.pdf

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

All our servers are 2019 with version 1809 (OS Build 17763.1490) and all have teaming, public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and all are configured with Server Manager. We are aware of your PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility which lists both adapters but no teaming. All servers are working fine with this configuration. 

The workstations (WS) are all Windows 10 version 2004 (OS Bild 19041.508). The teaming problems are with those. In the meantime, WS SNSUSHI has been configured for public addresses for both TCP versions (don't like DHCP) and the second adapter disabled in BIOS. All is well.

On your suggestion have rebooted WS SNSHSHI, enabled second adapter, configured a LAG for both adapters in the switch and configured ANS with your utility on the WS and the result was no Internet, local LAN is working. Here the ANS config:

IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation

Driver Name iansw60e, version 9.9.0.84

Ethernet address 6045CB6321BA

Status for both adapters after configuration: "Inativo", after restart of utility: for 218V "Ativo", for I211 "Em esp..." (We have bought English OS versions and configured English UK as language and English regions with English, German and French as additional languages but with Swiss German keyboard. Spanish is not intended.) 

No VLANs associated with selected adapter.

Kind regards, Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Please allow me to forward this information to our engineering level and give us more time to further investigate. We will provide an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay as this request is still under investigation with our engineers. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-4 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. Please be informed that SW Release 25.4 is releasing in the next week. With this, we'd like to check if you will be able to try this release and see if you are still having the same problem? If yes, please let us know so we can post an update on this thread once 25.4 is available.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We'll follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you are able to check our previous post. In case you have questions and clarifications, please let us know and we will be glad to be of help.

Hoping to hear from you.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

> check if you will be able to try this release and see if you are still having the same problem? 

Sure I will check it. Did not answer (sorry) because this is obvious to me.  Looking forward to your message about 25.4. 

Kind regards,

Marcel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for the reply.

Rest assured that we will post on this thread once 25.4 is available for download. In case you have additional questions and clarifications, feel free to let us know.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Marcel,

Good day!

SW 25.4 is now released and available for downloads. Please try it out and share the result with us. 

Before installing the latest driver, please ensure to completely uninstall the old driver. You may refer to the steps below on how to perform clean driver installation. 

1. Download the Network Adapter Driver package 25.4 from the following location. 

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=139349

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Ethernet Controller I211-AT and I218-V then Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Install the Network Adapter Driver.

I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner
Hi Crisselle Took some time to answer, could only get to the forum login and no further. Congratulations, teaming works again with 25.4 drivers, it is a joy to use Tested it on two workstations, works with IPv4 and v6. The entire test report is a bit long, thus here a short version: 1) Impossible to get rid of Intel LAN drivers, important is to uninstall Intel Network Connection 25.2.0.0 in Programs & Features. LAN drivers get installed at every boot but only with DHCP for IPv4 and v6, so networking is generally functioning. 2) Installed PROWinx64 from extracted zip in A:\ drive. After install, launched Intel PRO Set Adapter Config Utility. It finds both adapters, driver V 12.19.0.13 for 218V and V 12.18.11.1 for 211. 3) Created team type IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation, primary adapter 211, secondary 218V. Finish. Internet connection lost, both adapters inactive. After "Modify" 218 = standby, 211 = active. New Ethernet 3 in CP - Network and Sharing are DHCP for IPv4 and v6. Speed = 1 Gbps. 4 Created LAG in Switch with LACP enabled, both active, flow control disabled, LAG-type 1000M-Eth. Now both adapters are active in Intel PRO Set Adapter Config Utility and speed is 2 Gbps. Then configured IPv4 and IPv6 with our static public addresses. Glad to answer answers if needed. Thanks a lot to you and your team at Intel. You did a great job. Kind regards, Marcel
0 Kudos