Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 Version: 25.2 (Latest) Date: 7/14/2020

WallabyJack
Beginner

Installed on windows 10 latest release, latest patch ....

In event viewer ; Event id 5038 in  windows log->security

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\NCS2\Agent\Coinstaller.dll

In Windows log->Applications and Services Logs->microsoft->windows->CodeIntegrity->Operationnal

a lot of event id 3004 folowed by event id 3089

3004: Windows is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\Installer\{FBDEEBC8-592A-415F-AD68-086A8EEFA433}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe because file hash could not be found on the system. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

3089: Signature information for another event. Match using the Correlation Id.

Unstalling software (Proset 25.2) clear errors and functionnality...

Software and driver operating as expected - no problem to report

Just want to let you know... this is an annoying error...

0 Kudos
25 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your network adapter. 

To better assist you, we need to get some logs from your system. It will tell us the different driver version and components installed on your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WallabyJack
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

We were doing preliminary checks on your issue, and we find the need to ask these questions which can be helpful in determining a solution to your issue:

1. Does the issue only happen on the newest driver version (25.2)?

2. Did you experiencing it an older version of Windows 10 or driver?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

0 Kudos
WallabyJack
Beginner

This is a brand new nic card to connect my brand new Qnap NAS...

I only downloaded the latest version (25.2) to make sure the trunking will function, but not yet configured..

Nerver have this issue with other drivers, but only using Windows 10 current version.

Willing to make a try if you tell me what to try...

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for your response.

Please try to install this driver instead and see if you will get the same errors in event logs, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29742/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack.

Kindly uninstall the 25.2 driver first if you left it installed, before you install this driver.

When we did a deep analysis on the logs, we also noticed that you have another ethernet card, Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection, is this the one that you are trying to update or the other,  built-in card, I219-V?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WallabyJack
Beginner

download completed...

uninstall completed...

clear event log... just to make sure...

intall completed...

configuration done again....

same error in error log

event id 5038 in windows log ->security

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\NCS2\Agent\Coinstaller.dll

but has I have written... the software seem to work as expected...

And yes. this is for the 82599 10 gbit Dual Port... the I217-V work also fine...

I joint : windows security logs + windows system logs + SSu logs

Have a nice day!

Denys.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for your response and for trying our suggestions.

Based on your logs, it seems like something is blocking the file from being accessed:

1. Do you have an anti-virus or firewall installed on your system?

2. Is the storage, where you are copying the installer to, in a RAID volume?

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WallabyJack
Beginner

Good morning!

1 - I'm running Microsoft AV and Microsoft Firewall that's all,

2 - No, it is installed on an SSD no raid there.

Have a nice day!

Denys.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for your response.

We just want to confirm about the answers that you have provided.

Some advanced users, edit the inf files for the adapters. If a invalid entry was added or removed, these errors could happen. Have you also edited the .inf? You mentioned something about configuring something.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WallabyJack
Beginner

Bonjour,

no, I just downloaded the software and install it has it come...

the only thing I had mentionned was that I intend to activate the "trunking" on the 82599 dual port ... but not for now.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for confirming that information.

We will continue checking this.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WallabyJack
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

While we were closely checking your concern, it led us to ask you these questions that will help us in investigating your concern.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Have your already tried to use your board manufacturer's driver?

2. Please try to redownload the package and install again. Please make sure to uninstall the previous package completely.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29857/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ADargon
Beginner

I have the same issue with this event in my event log.

I have installed the board drivers and also the driver linked to in a previous entry and still get the same issue.
I note that Windows 10 has a new Code Integrity feature that checks for digital signatures. The file Coinstaller.dll is not digitally signed.

I note that all of the other files in that folder are digitally signed so perhaps this was just an oversight?

Could that be why Windows is moaning and if Intel issued a signed version of this file, the security audit will be happy? 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to provide the information that we asked.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
wblondel
Beginner

I have the same issue since the latest driver (25.2).

I also experience random reset of the network card.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallabyjack, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ADargon
Beginner

Alfred,

There are two other people with this same issue and you are proposing to close the support case. Do you not want to resolve the issue or just ignore it?

I have proposed that the file in question is not signed by Intel and that is the cause of the security issue. Is that not worth checking with the engineers? I am happy to replace the file I have with a signed version and then confirm the issue is resolved.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
@ADargon,
You are not the OP on this conversation. You should be opening your own conversation.
...S
0 Kudos