Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel Network I225-V Nework issue persist even after FW upgrade

KT_Customs
Novice

Hello,

I have a question about Intel network I225-V. My ASUS Maximus XII Extreme suffer with this issue - https://wccftech.com/intel-foxville-i225-v-2-5gbe-networking-issues-persist-z490-motherboards-affected/ like there mentioned.

But when Intel planning to Supply the manufactures of the newest revision B3 of I225-V NIC on Z490 boards? Because mine is B2 revision and I have this issue when I turn on the PC or restart the PC. And it is very annoying when you playing games and streaming that the network connection will drop. This issue is happening intermittently also when playing games. And this is not all, my network speed drops to half when the connection is dropped and the renewed.

So on my side I have tested all things to get this work without issues. 

So I have tested the Firmware update on ASUS page for I225-V.

Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Everything was success, the FW is actual, but...

And the issue still persist. I have tested the oldest and newest drivers of I225-V and nothing. So, when we can expect the B3 revision on Z490 Boards with I225-V? 

Thank you for your support.

136 Replies
criskoe
Novice

@VipeNess

You obviously didn’t really let what I said sink in before mashing out that hilarious comment.

You seriously comparing this to a car purchase and not being able to fill it with gas? Really? 

My comment wasn’t even direct to you. I was asking the op a serious question. Cause he had a board with TWO NICs. So in your analogy,  two gas’s tanks. Lol. 

You most likely don’t even own a MXIIE.

Keep throwing your little temper tantrum cause you bought something defective for the first time? Intel ain’t gunna fix this. This is a HW issue that cannot be patched via firmware. This was confirmed a while back when these z490 boards launched with the still broken reversion 2. What don’t you understand. 

You think being a lion is gunna get this fixed? Maybe your roar gunna scare them into fixing something they can’t? Lol.

You def ain’t a lion. Lmao.

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

@criskoe

You're right, I did jump the gun and I can't take it back and I apologize but the matter of the fact is, you guys paid good money for those boards and you just gave up after the month (I'm in the same shoes but I'm continuing to fight on).  I guess I'm just upset to see people start doing what Intel want people to do about the issue... stop caring and move on.  I've thought about doing what you've mentioned too but someone has to be the one that holds them accountable, right?

6kbyte
Novice

WOW! HOLY - SHHHH*ETTTT! Intel deleted the old big thread without answering or helping? Guys what is going on here? 

@Caguicla_Intel : why?

criskoe
Novice

@VipeNess

I get it. Trust me I do. I was frothing at the mouth upset dealing with this last year. $1000 mb with this crap.

End of the day. Asus didn’t seem to give 2 craps and either did intel. So I had to make a hard choice. Re tear out the board and Choose another board. Or use the more then good enough AQC107 NIC also on the board. I chose to keep the board. All my test showed the AQC107 was fantastic and fine. Also I really like Asus bios for overclocking over other options available. And all Asus boards came with this broken NIC at the time. And most of them didn’t have dual nics as well as a option.   My 10900k overclock was nice and stable @5.3ghz so I didn’t want to mess with it anymore. And the rest of the board was beautiful.

So I let it go. And let me tell you. Finally letting it go was freeing.

Now I get being vocal is important. Intel is now trying to bury this. Lol. If that doesn’t tell you they don’t care. I don’t know what will. At this point it’s like trying to save a marriage when your spouse doesn’t even love you anymore. Ships sailed. They don’t care.

All you can do is remember and use your wallet next time around for a purchase.

With that said. If your board has no other nics other then this pos. Return it. Don’t live with a broken NIC.

But the AQC107 is no slouch. Don’t discount it a a fully functional option.

It’s added latency is minimal and imperceptible to any normal non super human.  Can’t find any comparisons on the XII but this shows it on a different Asus board and is absolutely fine.  In fact beats out intels own 10gb add in pcie card. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/9mqrc0/benchmarks_aquantia_aqc107_10gb_vs_intel_x540_10gb/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

NotImpressed
New Contributor I

@Caguicla_Intel Just because you deleted that thread, it doesn't mean we will forget, did your technician's ever give you an update? We are still waitng on your promise to update us.

Thanks for deleting that post btw. It actually made even more people aware of the issue now.

leylimley
Novice

Same here on ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING. I tried everything such as downgrading, reinstalling driver, changing speed&duplex to 1.0 Gbps, disabling firewall&antivirus... nothing changed.

Usually drops during meeting on slack and microsoft teams for a 5sec.

This solution (https://bit.ly/2NrRGvB) decreased problems but windows 10 automatically updates to 1.0.2.6 and after that networks drops more often.

0 Kudos
Engine
New Contributor I

I'm one of those I225-V owners, it's Revision 2 and ist horrible.
I get constant disconnects and lag spikes in games.
I tried every method, amt is on the newest firmware, running 1.0.1.4 as a driver (tested every other ones as well, this one ist the most "stable"), deactivated power savings mode yadayadayada.

I demand an official statement, asus is keeping their mouth shut either.
I swear, that it post 3 new posts on every other hardware message board i know, everytime something gets deleted again and will also write to the most popular pc magazines as well, this §$% needs to get resolved asap!

guys just create new posts like i did, don't just reply, this needs to be seen, frankly im done with this $%&!

OlegD
Novice

This issue can't be resolved asap or not asap. This is epic hardware fail of Intel and partners.

And they are afraid only group action lawsuit.  Look for lawyers who are interested in this case.

Engine
New Contributor I

asap as in actually acknowledge the problem and communicate it. i know another driver wont fix it, since the update on stepping b3.
but i like to have an official statement by intel and the motherboard manufacturers. i'm living in germany, there are now group action lawsuits.
im using a usb 3.0 to ethernet dongle with a realtek atm since i cant afford to have downtime by swapping the motherboard und wait weeks for replacement if nobody can garantee it will get swapped against a mythical b3 one. 
the story is a giant clownfiesta. i'll avoid asus and intel for another decade as i did before. money is the only language those corps speak and understand..

0 Kudos
CusmaR
Beginner

I got a Asus B550-F rev2 i225 board that dropped connection a lot a few weeks back, talked to my internet service provider and they couldn't find anything. They could send a guy but I had to pay for him if they couldn't find anything. I asked them to give me a couple of days.. Then found out about this **bleep** show. My windows update had updated to 1.0.2.4... Went back to 1.0.1.4 and it seems okay, it doesn't straight up disconnect me at least.

Is there something I should know about 1.0.1.4?

Been a lurker here for a while waiting for a solution/answer from @Caguicla_Intel  but now when they removed the thread I was following I had to sign up, what kind of bull**bleep** is this!?

Fix your god **bleep** failure.

Engine
New Contributor I
Push for visibility. We demand an answer. Don't underestimate the **bleep**storme if you keep your channels shut. There are way more people lurking and reading those posts than actually replying. Where's the deleted thread? What's your handle?
6kbyte
Novice

push for visibility

@Caguicla_Intel (@Mods / @INTEL): please answer!

Engine
New Contributor I

daily push for visibility. stop deleting replys and start fixing your products instead..

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

Yes, Intel have to do something. Half of the people here say that this 1.45 fix improved their situation but the problem remains, the other half say the fix did nothing for them. But everyone here says they have a problem with their internet connection. So we should stay on this v1.45 driver forever?! 
Intel pls. At least act like you care.

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

Guys, the old big thread that was deleted by INTEL has now been reactivated:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/I225-V-Packet-losses-after-Windows-update/m-p/1232037

It looks like its more moderatred now becaus my answers are not shown (immediately). It was 6-7 pages long before and had thousends of views and users with problems (all new drivers, all firmwares). MOD @Caguicla_Intel  committed that this problem was a high priority case and the engineers working on it but has not informed us further. 2-3 months just silence and quite big ignorance by INTEL!

SO... @INTEL @ALL MODS , WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATUS???

0 Kudos
dAn0id
Beginner

That's naughty, Intel!

My posts were deleted as well without providing a solution or even just a feedback.

7 pages with users having a serious problem with an Intel network driver...and your solution is to delete that thread?

0 Kudos
Talamar1
Beginner

Is it really a driver issue or bad hardware?  This seems similar to the issue with the 10G chips/cards from several years back where under load they would just reset all their connections, no firmware could fix it.  At this point, with the 1000's of consumers affected, it would be either a mass recall on all the boards/PCs or they need to ship out free PCIe cards to replace the broken port(s) on the boards.  Just a rough estimate but...

100,000 units @ $250 per unit is $25,000,000

That's a drop in the bucket for Intel... this is why they don't care.

0 Kudos
Engine
New Contributor I

of course it is. would it ne software/firmware wise they wouldn't have released a third version of this faulty controller...
to bad nobody starts a lawsuit in the states. even the magazines are not really caring/writing about it. i dont know if they're afraid or whatever...

0 Kudos
Rottmeister
Novice

This is a hardware issue. That is why there are 3 revisions of this controller (possibly more, cause even the latest one seem to have problems).  At this point there is no reason to hope for any ,,fix" for current boards. It just is what it is...

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

Found this info related to this hardware issue....

I have come across about people reporting network/NIC issues with their Intel I225-V 2.5Gb equipped motherboards. The issue is hardware related and Intel have made 3 hardware revisions to the I225-V. The newest B3 stepping is problem free however some retailers may have old inventory. As recently as December, ASUS shipped out an affected motherboard to me with the B2 stepping of the Intel I225-V.

How to do I check if my motherboard is affected

If you've installed the motherboard, you can find the Intel I225-V revision in device manager. The physical silicon on my board has the reference SLNJY aka B2. The NIC in device manager with a number in brackets appears to correspond with the revision. Thanks /u/shm0_88

If you're looking at getting one of these motherboards in the table at the bottom or have one already but haven't installed it yet, look out for the I225-V chip near the NIC. The easiest way to physically check on an ASUS boards is:

1. Remove the heatsink to the left of the CPU socket. This is partly covered by the I/O shield which you can remove for better access but it can be fiddly putting it back on

2. Undo these two screws on the back of the board, making sure you are gripping the heatsink with your free hand in order to prevent it from falling out. This should reveal the I225-V chip albeit at an awkward angle. You can easily take a photo with your phones camera with the flash light on and visibly see the chip reference or alternatively, remove the I/O shield

3. Cross reference the reference on the chip with the table below

Chip Reference Stepping Affected
SLN9D or SLN9C B1 Yes
SLNJX or SLNJY B2 Yes
SLNMH or SLMNG B3 No

Exhaustive list of potentially affected motherboards - (See above how to find out if your motherboard has the problematic B1/B2 steppings of the I225-V chip)

ASUS AM4 Boards
TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI)
ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING
ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING

ASUS Z490 Boards
ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA
ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME
ROG MAXIMUS XII APEX
ROG STRIX Z490-A GAMING
ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING
ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (WI-FI)
ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING
ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING
PRIME Z490-A
ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G
Pro WS X299 SAGE II **Intel® I225-LM

The following boards have a Realtek 2.5Gb NIC and are unaffected

ASUS AM4 Boards
TUF GAMING B450M-PRO S
TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI)
TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS
TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI)
ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

ASUS Z490 Boards
ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II
ROG STRIX TRX40-XE GAMING

There appears to be software workarounds but ultimately the bug is within the Intel I225-V so the only way to remedy is to RMA your motherboard. The problem is most retailers have no knowledge of this and you will probably end up with a replacement that still has the affected stepping of the Intel I225-V. A viscous cycle, please take some ownership ASUS and issue a recall.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/kppyoi/psa_asus_motherboards_with_intel_i225v_25gb_nic/