Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

Intel Network I225-V Nework issue persist even after FW upgrade

KT_Customs
Novice

Hello,

I have a question about Intel network I225-V. My ASUS Maximus XII Extreme suffer with this issue - https://wccftech.com/intel-foxville-i225-v-2-5gbe-networking-issues-persist-z490-motherboards-affected/ like there mentioned.

But when Intel planning to Supply the manufactures of the newest revision B3 of I225-V NIC on Z490 boards? Because mine is B2 revision and I have this issue when I turn on the PC or restart the PC. And it is very annoying when you playing games and streaming that the network connection will drop. This issue is happening intermittently also when playing games. And this is not all, my network speed drops to half when the connection is dropped and the renewed.

So on my side I have tested all things to get this work without issues. 

So I have tested the Firmware update on ASUS page for I225-V.

Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Everything was success, the FW is actual, but...

And the issue still persist. I have tested the oldest and newest drivers of I225-V and nothing. So, when we can expect the B3 revision on Z490 Boards with I225-V? 

Thank you for your support.

136 Replies
ckronengold
Novice

Exactly the same situation, but with an Asus Z490 Prima-A mobo. 

I updated the firmware to 1.45,  tried the 0704 bios and the 1.0.0.17 adapter driver.  I also tried all of the advanced setting suggestions in the other thread, to no avail. 

I'm ready to send this mobo back and get something with a different ethernet adapter. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello KT_Customs,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to provide a feedback on the link that you have provided as it is a third party website. However, once we received the SSU logs, we will double check internally if there is a known issue for this one. 

You may also consider visiting this link below and check if UKräu's suggestion would be of help for your problem.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-i225-Network-Adapter-Drops-Connection-When-NAS-Backs-Up-PC/td-p/640676

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice

@Caguicla_Intel 

Attached are my logs from SSU. 

I have upgraded to firwmware 1.45 and running driver 1.0.1.7.

My gigabit connection is still capping out around 250Mbs on the web, but is transferring between 85MB/s - 100 MB/s on my local network. 

0 Kudos
KT_Customs
Novice

Hi @CrisselleF_C_Intel ,

here is my System specs from SSU.

Let me know what to do. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice

@KT_Customs 

What speeds are you able to get with your Intel LAN? 

Using your settings, and tweaking the offloading on the router, I'm able to get 815Mbps down and 895Mbps up. 

So I think I'm probably in good shape on speed. But still need to get the stability issues under control. 

0 Kudos
KT_Customs
Novice

@ckronengold 

my Internet is 150mbps. So 18MB/s download. When the connection drops, im getting half speed.. so 80mbps.. So this will degrade my speed. And Im not satisfied with I225-V NIC. And also to throw 1000$ for mainboard. Im planning to return the mainboard an buy other that don't have I225-V controller. I dont have a nerves for that. Intel should deliver 100percent tested product... It is caused by today, because manufacturers are releasing they product very fast, they compete who is better and who will produce a better thing faster. And this is not good. Also not good for customers when buying those products like Mainboards.. Because on mainboard everything must be working.

PotatoPotato
Beginner

Hello,

Has this problem been resolved anywhere? I have a very similar issue with my Rog Strix Z590-A Gaming WIFI motherboard. I have attached the text file from the System Support Utility.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PotatoPotato
Beginner

I meant to specify that my Ethernet connection is capping out at 300 mbps while my wifi will get like 600. I should be getting close to 900 at my ethernet.

0 Kudos
Kwonger
Beginner

The firmware upgrade to 1.45 in my download from Asus only upgrades to 1.35 when I look at the notes during the upgrade. Did you happen to notice that or did your upgrade clearly state it successfully got to 1.45?

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ckronengold,

Thank you for providing the SSU log.

You mentioned that you upgraded to firmware 1.45, can you share where was the Firmware package downloaded from? Is it form Asus? Will you be able to share the link with us? 

Hoping to hear from you soon

In case we don't receive a response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice

Hi @Caguicla_Intel 

Yes, I downloaded it from Asus. The support page is: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z490-A/HelpDesk_Download/

The LAN Driver Package (Version 1.0.1.4)
2020/05/22 6.98 MBytes Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.

The description of the driver package states: Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. 

Within the driver package is another zipped folder:  I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE.zi

It contains an install.bat file and instructions (I225_FW_Update _Tool_SOP.pdf) on how to upgrade the firmware.  

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ckronengold,

Thank you for the swift response.

Before we proceed in further checking the issue, can you share if you have already raised this concern to Asus support since the firmware package was from them? If yes, kindly share their feedback with us. In case not yet, it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice
Yes, I am pursuing support from them as well. However we have reached an impasse.

They told me to change which port on my network switch the computer was plugged into, which is a pure fishing expedition. The computer is plugged into the same port as it was before the new Mobo.

I did improve my speeds a little by enabling IP4 offloading on my router, but that improved speeds across the network, with this computer still being slow.

I was able to get 500Mbits on a speed test, but that's still well short of the gigabit speeds I should be getting.

All of my devices are gigabit capable and I'm getting 1.1MB/s on my server.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ckronengold,

Thank you for the reply.

We'd like to clarify if the issue you encountered is 'connection drop' or 'not meeting the 1gbps speed' or is it both? 

Can you share result of your Internet if the Speed & Duplex was set to Auto negotiation. Based on the SSU provided, it was set to *SpeedDuplex:Speed & Duplex:"Auto Negotiation (0)". Please ensure that the settings on the router was set to Auto-negotiation and both should support gigabit speed.

Please also provide the troubleshooting steps you've done or the settings made to help in fixing the issue.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't receive a response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice
I am experiencing both random disconnects as well as slower speeds than I expect to get.

Most regularly, the Ethernet connection does not recognize that there is a cable plugged in without disabling and then re-enabling the the connection. On startup, the computer says there is no plug in the Ethernet connection.

Changing the Speed and duplex had no noticable effect on speeds. I set to Auto, gigabit, and 2.5, and none had any noticable change.

Are you suggesting that I need to make a change in the router as well? I'm using a Ubiquiti ER-X, donor you happen to know where that setting is, I'd be happy to toggle it. However I did not have this issue with the previous computer plugged into the router and switch at the same port.

Are there other settings to try? QoS? I have the computer plugged into a TP Link managed switch, which is connected to the router. Any specific settings for the switch vs the router?

I have already outlined the steps taken and the settings that I have changed above. Including the one setting that made a significant improvement in speed.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to further check on this issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Apologies for the delay on this matter. We are still checking on this matter and need clarifications from @ckronegold. You mentioned that you are using an Asus PRIME Z490-A motherboard and based on your TS, you updated the firmware to 1.45, tried the 0704 BIOS and the 1.0.0.17 adapter driver. 

Just to confirm, can you share where did you download the 0704 bios and the 1.0.0.17 adapter driver? As based on the ASUS support link, the latest BIOS is only 0607 and 1.0.1.4 LAN driver.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z490-A/HelpDesk_Download/

Is the 1.0.0.17 driver from Intel website? Is it from the link below?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/184686/intel-ethernet-controller-i225-series

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear an update from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ckronengold
Novice

as i mentioned earlier, I downloaded them from the asus support forums. 

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118328-Asus-Z490-stuff

the latest drivers and bios are posted directly by the developers. they are "official." 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ckronengold,

Appreciate your swift response.

Please allow us to continue investigating on this matter. We will get back to you as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos