Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V - Waking from sleep causes 10Mbp/s and no connectivity until rebooting or reconnecting cable.

RRaym1
Beginner

Setup:

• I have a Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H motherboard with an Intel i5-6500 CPU and 8Gb DDR4 GSkill RAM.
  • I have wired ethernet with a CAT5e cable plugged from the Ethernet port into a TP-Link Gigabit 5 port switch and then eventually onto a TP-Link ADSL2 Router.
  • I am using a static IP setup (Static IP, Gateway, Subnet mask).
  • I am running Windows 10 Home 64bit
  • I am running Kaspersky 2017 Internet Security (I have uninstalled Kaspersky Secure Connection)
  • I am running the supplied Gigabyte drivers for the Intel Ethernet Adapter on the board (Version 20.7 - listed as 12.15.22.3 in the driver properties)

Problem:

• Waking from S1 sleep causes the adapter to intialise at 10Mb/s and have no connectivity. The only solution is 1) reboot or 2) remove and re-insert the CAT5e cable. This cable has worked at Gigabit speeds for years on the previous Motherboard I had which had a Realtek based ethernet adapter on a GA-X38-DQ6.

Event Logs:

• When the problem occurs: "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V Network link has been established at 10Mbps full duplex."
  • When the system works fine: "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex."

Things I have tried:

I have tried the following Intel drivers:

• 20.4.1 (from the Intel site)
  • 20.7 (from the Gigabyte site)
  • 21.1 (from the Intel site)

I have tried disabling all of the power management properties in the Intel driver properties

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi casewindows,

Just to double check if you connect the ethernet port directly to the TP-Link ADSL2 Router, will this make any changes? Thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi casewindows,

Please feel free to provide update for me to better assist on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
RRaym1
Beginner

Hi there, sorry about the delay in replying.

The router is on the other side of the house, it just isn't practical to hook it up directly.

I am tempted to try a different cable, but it seems unusual that the old cable worked with a Realtek based 1Gbps NIC for years on a GA-X38-DQ6 on Windows Vista 32bit and now this one has problems, only waking from sleep, on a much more modern board with an Intel NIC.

Unplugging and re-plugging either the end of the cable that goes into the NIC or the end of the cable that goes into the TP-Link gigabit 5 port switch fixes the problem without having to reboot.

It seems like there is some sort of sync problem when the system wakes from sleep.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Casewindows,

Thank you for the reply. Can you try manually set Duplex & Speed to 100mbps Full

or is any setting in the BIOS to set the speed to 100mbps Full?

Tried to disable/enable the device, try to contact Gigabyte support if they have any customize driver (which I understand you did try installing their driver) of if they have any known issue or fix for this issue relates to their board as this is an onboard NIC.

If there is a chance you could change the cable or connect the cable directly to the router that could be of some help to isolate the issue.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Casewindows,

Have you tried contacting Gigabyte to check on the hardware aspect on the onboard NIC. Please feel free to update me.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Casewindows,

As an additional information, you may look into suggestions posted in our community sites,

please try checking with manufacturer for latest BIOS, disabling IPv6 mentioned in this thread - /thread/106797 https://communities.intel.com/thread/106797

Hope this helps.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
FBauj
Novice

I had exactly the same problem with a similar setup. Found a workaround : if I wake up from sleep using the computer case button, system works fine. If I wake up from sleep using the kb or mouse, I get the same problem as you do.

I queried gigabyte about this, they sent me a beta version of the latest bios but I didn't try it since my workaround fixes the issue.

idata
Employee

Hi Nerfolt,

Thank you for sharing the information and glad the issue is fixed

Rgds,

wb
0 Kudos
APint2
Beginner

Hi,

I have the exact same problem! Does it have a solution that does not require a workaroud? I don't think this is a solution, considering the price I paid for all new components that should work well out-of-the-box.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AndrediP,

Have you contacted the board vendor for the issue? It is recommended to check with the board vendor http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000006628.html?wapkw=oem+network

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos