Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection Card (12) I219-V and disconnecting the Internet connection.

Pacpun
Novice

I have an MSI H410M PRO motherboard with an Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (12) I219-V network card. I am using windows 10 x64. The internet is connected via internet cable, but from time to time the connection breaks. It's very annoying.

I found many threads with a similar problem, unfortunately, no effective solution. I have tried installing the latest driver, as well as installing older versions. I have changed the internet cable, tried other ports on the router, disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet and other power-saving settings - nothing has helped. There are many "id 27 e1dexpress" warnings in the event log. The internet works over wifi, on other devices, so it's definitely a problem with the network card.

Is there any solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Pacpun
Novice

Hi, I just want to let you know that I replaced the router and the problem no longer exists, so it looks like it was some kind of hardware conflict. Thank you for your interest and for trying to help. This thread may be closed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request.

1. Will you be able to share the exact error message whenever the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection Card (12) I219-V got disconnected to the internet? 

2. Is this a newly built system? If no, when was the issue first encountered?

3. Is there any changes prior to the issue?

4. You mentioned that you already tried installing the latest driver as well as installing older versions. Can you confirm if all the tested drivers are downloaded from Intel website? 

5. We'd also like to set your expectations about our support for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller. The software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. For OEM on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with MSI for assistance since they might have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. With this, can you confirm if you already tried the driver that can obtained from MSI? 

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Pacpun
Novice

Thank you for your quick answer.

1. The messages I was getting in large numbers in the event log: id 27 e1dexpress (EventData Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (12) I219-V 0000040002003000000000001B0004A00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001B0004A0) and id 33 e1dexpress (EventData Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (12) I219-V 0000040002003000000000002100046000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000021000460). The windows system tried to connect to the network all the time and displayed a message that the ethernet cable was not connected (that is why I replaced the cable in the first instance). The LEDs at the internet input were flashing, despite there being no internet on the computer.

2. The system as well as the computer are about six months old. In the beginning, the problem was not there, it appeared some time ago. No update was performed during this time.

3. No, I did not do any updates or changes when the problem started.

4. Yes, the drivers were downloaded from the official site. I also tried the drivers automatically found by windows - the problem was not as troublesome as on the latest version from the intel website.

5. I tried installing the driver from the MSI website, downloaded it from the motherboard model page which I have, but  I got a message like the one in the attachment.

I am currently testing driver version 12.18.9.17 found on YouTube. Since installing this version, the problem has not recurred, but it worries me that this driver is already quite old and the connection seems to be unstable.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

You mentioned that you are currently testing driver version 12.18.9.17 found on YouTube. Can you share where was the driver downloaded from? Is it from Intel website as well and can you share the link with us? 

I also tried looking for LAN driver for your motherboard and found the link below.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H410M-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064

Can you confirm if this is the exact model of your motherboard and perform clean driver installation using the driver from link above? Kindly refer to instructions below on how to perform clean driver installation.

1. Download the Network Adapter Driver (from MSI website, link above)

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection Card (12) I219-V and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Install the Network Adapter Driver.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you are able to read our previous message. If yes, kindly advise if you are able to follow the recommendations provided and let us know of the result. Should you need more time on this, feel free to let us know and we will glad to adjust our follow up date.

Looking forward to hear from you. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Pacpun
Novice

Sorry to reply after a few days, but I needed more time to test the functioning of the network card.

Yes, this is exactly the model of motherboard I have. The drivers found on youtube were not from the intel website. I did a clean install every time. The drivers from the MSI site would not install when I clicked "autorun" from the folder, but I installed them through the device manager. I did the driver installation again, this time the one from the MSI website (12.19.0.16, I think it's the same version of the driver that windows downloaded). The network card was again having trouble connecting, but I disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet, Wake on Magic Packet, IPv6 and power saving in power management and it seemed that everything was working. After a few days of testing, I can say that the problem is not as bothersome, but still occurs as I have been disconnected from the network four times (three times today, I hope the problem does not start to get worse after a while). In the event log id 27 e1dexpress and id 33 e1dexpress occurred 25 times in the last 24 hours. Any suggestions if anything I can do about this?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

No problem at all. We appreciate your effort in sending us an update and trying out the recommendations provided. We hope you don't mind checking the following items that might help in fixing the issue.

1. Ensure that Speed & Duplex settings on Advanced tab property of the Ethernet Controller is set to Auto Negotiation. Forcing link can result in a speed-duplex mismatch. This is common when one device is set to forced and its link partner is set as Auto-Negotiate.

2. Have you tried testing your connection using wireless? If yes, do you encounter the same issue? This will help in isolating the issue. 

3. Have you tried disabling 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' on advanced properties of the Ethernet Controller? 

4. How often does the issue occur? Is there any specific application running or site that you are browsing when the issue persist? 

5. Have you tried raising the issue to MSI support to check if there are similar issue or there might be a software that causes the issue? 

6. Is the BIOS updated to its latest version?

Awaiting to hear from you soon. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive an update. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Pacpun
Novice

Thanks for the answer.

1. I can confirm that Speed & Duplex is set to Auto-Negotiation.

2. Connection works stable on other wireless devices, also it works stable when I connect via a hotspot through a USB (using my mobile phone as a hotspot).

3. Yes, I have disabled this.

4. I haven't noticed any particular app causing this problem. It occurs randomly, several times a day. Today the internet couldn't connect after booting up: after the first boot it connected after two attempts, and after the second boot it was taking so many attempts that I had to switch to the USB hotspot because I didn't have enough time to wait.

5. No, I haven't contacted MSI support yet.

6. Yes, the BIOS is updated to the latest version.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

Thank you for the detailed response.

While we are checking this with our engineers, will you be able to raise this issue to MSI support as well for further assistance then let us know of their feedback? 

As we mentioned on our initial reply, for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. There might also be a similar issue reported to them or a software that causes the issue which needs to be uninstalled.

Rest assured that we will get back to you within 3 business days for the feedback from our internal escalation and to follow up if you are able to reach MSI support.

Feel free to send us an update if there is any.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

Pacpun
Novice

I have contacted MSI support, but it looks like there is no in-house solution for this. I am considering now changing the router, if that doesn't help then I will have to send the motherboard back for a warranty. What worries me though is that I'm not the only person having problems with this network card, as I've found many threads on the internet that have raised the same issues. Thank you for trying to help.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

Thank you for following our recommendation and sharing MSI's feedback with us. If you still wish to further investigate the issue with us, please provide the following information as requested from our higher level. Otherwise, kindly advise so we can proceed with closure.

1. Just for isolation, can you check if you will still encounter the issue while the antivirus firewall is turned off? If this fixes the issue, this could be your antivirus software related which is having an issue with the latest drivers. We recommend to contact the antivirus software manufacturer.

2. If it still does not fix the issue by turning off the firewall, kindly extract Intel® System Support Utility(SSU) logs from your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. We will send an email so you can share it privately. Please be reminded to attach the SSU logs when replying to our email and not on this thread to avoid exposing sensitive information.

We will also wait for your update once you've changed your router.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

Vane
Novice
Hi Pacpun,

Can you get and install (for few hours) an Intel adapter like I210?
Disable the onboard one and see if the attached one behaves the same or works fine.
That will isolate the defect.

Have a good week,
Vane
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

Good day!

This is just a follow up for the additional information requested for us to continue checking your query. We will also appreciate if you can share an update regarding the status of your system. Should you need more time with this, feel free to let us know and we will be glad to adjust our follow up date.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Pacpun,

How are you doing?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Pacpun
Novice

Hi, I just want to let you know that I replaced the router and the problem no longer exists, so it looks like it was some kind of hardware conflict. Thank you for your interest and for trying to help. This thread may be closed.

0 Kudos