Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM does not work on 1Gbps speed

RBalo
Beginner

hello,

I have a HP ZBook 15 laptop, where the "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM" device is used for wired Ethernet. I also have two GO-SW-8G Dlink Gigabit switch (https://eu.dlink.com/se/sv/products/go-sw-8g-8-port-gigabit-dlinkgo-switch https://eu.dlink.com/se/sv/products/go-sw-8g-8-port-gigabit-dlinkgo-switch ). Below, I will call these SW1 and SW2, for better understanding. Also from the Internet Service Provider, we have 1 Gigabit/sec bandwidth (T-Home Magenta1 pack).

There are two scenarios what I setup and the 1Gbps speed was not able to work (?) in the laptop in one case.

The scenario-1, when the 1G speed was working:

The internet modem is connected with a standard LAN cable to the PORT-1 in of the SW1. The Ethernet interface in my laptop is connected to the PORT-2 in SW1 with a standard LAN cable. In this case the Ethernet interface LinkSpeed was Gigabit. It was possible to see both in the indicator LED of the PORT-2 in SW1 -this was green-, and also in the Windows when checking the LinkSpeed of the Ethernet interface, please refer to this link, https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNoTNsMT--3pLFlDoOpQTM4d-jiYyKpLDdBnN51H0Ovz8ubRBTXh4oerw965J_Igw/photo/AF1QipN2a1fcfjVV40_Ec20pKiOst-0ENvbEzyOGUryG?key=WDI2RktSTzBWUWZRNXEtZ2NLbXYwS2x0WFgtdDVn Google Photos

So, in Gigabit speed point of view there is no any issue in this scenario.

The scenario-2, when the 1G speed was not working, and the LinkSpeed down set to 100Mbps:

Just similar to scenario-1, the internet modem is connected with a standard LAN cable to the PORT-1 in of the SW1. Now SW2 comes to the path, thus PORT-2 in SW1 is connected to PORT-1 in SW2 with a standard LAN cable. The Ethernet interface in my laptop is connected to the PORT-2 in SW2 with a standard LAN cable. In this scenario, the indicator LEDs on the Dlink switches are green, meaning 1G speed in all used ports, except the PORT-2 in SW2 which goes to the laptop. The indicator LED was orange of this port, also checking the LinkSpeed in the Windows side, that shows 100Mbps speed, please refer to this link, https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNoTNsMT--3pLFlDoOpQTM4d-jiYyKpLDdBnN51H0Ovz8ubRBTXh4oerw965J_Igw/photo/AF1QipP3ka2-0ooq-EQAaB-_n9bHpdIXVlduRDc5jjXh?key=WDI2RktSTzBWUWZRNXEtZ2NLbXYwS2x0WFgtdDVn Google Photos

I have tried set manually the LinkSpeed in the Windows for the Ethernet interface to 1G, but in this case the interface was "disconnected", so the wired Ethernet was gone in the list of connections in Windows and the laptop has started to use my WIFI NW.

When I changed back the interface LinkSpeed to "Auto", that come back to 100Mbps, and the "internet connection" returned to use the wired connection.

I did other test by using another Gigabit device, what was a Gigabit router from Dlink, and when I was connect one of the LAN interface of the router to the PORT-2 (or 3, or so) in SW2, the indicator LED was green, meaning the speed was 1Gbps.

Last week, I was issued a support ticket to Dlink, but finally they have not seen any issue with my setup in their pint of view, and also got the info from them, the scenario-2 was working very well with 1G in their LAB.

Thus now, I think the problem is not with the Dlink switches, but with the Windows and/or I217-LM device, and I would like to get some instructions, hints, ect from you, about doing some kind of troubleshooting to identify the root of the issue I have.

This morning I just refreshed the driver of the I217-LM to "Intel ® Network Connections Version:"22.9.6.0"", but I got the same result, so the expected 1Gbps LinkSpeed is not seen when both Dlink switches are in the path.

For more detail info about the drivers on my laptop, please refer to the attached text file.

Please try help me.

Thanks for your help,

/Robi

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities.

Just to double check since this is an onboard NIC on HP* laptop, have you tried checking with HP* for updated driver. It is recommended to use the customized driver from the system vendor as drivers for onboard NIC sometimes are modified by the system vendor to adapt their system, a customized driver is more suitable.

Is the switch port manageable? If yes, can you check if you can set the switch port speed to Gigabit? I understand you already force the speed of I217-LM. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello Sharon T.

Thanks for your answer. I have checked HP support site, and find the driver, "Intel I217LM/V and I218LM Gigabit Ethernet Driver for Microsoft Windows - 12.15.23.7 Rev.A", link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79046.exe https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79046.exe.

The driver installation was passed, no error was observed. The correct, expected version can be seen in the scan log by SSU -see the attached file -

At next I went to check the LinkSpeed of the adapter, and that showed 100Mbps. It was possible change that to 1G full-duplex, https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO-euRC9h6wNuQAI2piYJpszHlD9-C62xghohOj https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO-euRC9h6wNuQAI2piYJpszHlD9-C62xghohOj, but committing the changes by clicking on the Ok button, the wired adapter was disconnected (?) - the internet connection was moved to WIFI and the wired was not able to select- Of course, I could set back the LinkSpeed to "Auto", when the wired adapter comes back to operation but on 100Mbps only.

Thanks for your help,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the information. Please refers to below information:

1) Try go to device manager-> click on the I217-LM adapter property, disable the option of "Energy Efficient Ethernet" in case it is available in the advance

property of the NIC

2) Does this issue occurred only on PORT 2? Have you tried connecting port 3 and rest of the ports to test?

I understand you used another device router to connect to port 2, 3 and etc and no issue. I would like to know if you have connected I217-LM to other ports other than port 2 on switch 2.

3) Can the switch port be configure to auto or forced to gigabit speed?

4) By the way, this link you provided is not accessible

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO-euRC9h6wNuQAI2piYJpszHlD9-C62xghohOj

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello Sharon T,

Thanks for your reply. Please see my answers below.

1. I could turn OFF the "Energy Efficient Ethernet" property. After pressing the OK button, the LinkSped was not changed, that was still 100Mbps. When I tried turn ON the property, the device Properties window was not started. I could see that is opened, but was closed automatically immediately. I tried open it few times, but I had no luck, thus I was rebooted the laptop. I opened the Properties window after the reboot, but the "Energy Efficient Ethernet" property was not in the drop-down list on the Advanced TAB, thus I could not able to turn it ON. Of course the LikSpeed is still 100Mbps. Please refer to LinkSpeed_-it_is_possible_set_linkspeed_to_1Gbps_after_hp_drv_installed-speed_is_no_available-missing_EnergyEfficientEthernet_property.jpg. Is it possible somehow get back this property?
  2. Of course, I tried use all the ports on the Dlink switch, but I got the same result in each case. So the LinkSpeed was not changed 1 Gbps.

3. No, on the Dlink switch side, there is no way to force the speed.
  4. Please refer to the attached LinkSpeed_-it_is_possible_set_linkspeed_to_1Gbps_after_hp_drv_installed.jpg file -this is what you was not able to open, mentioned in your 4.point-. By default the LinkSpeed property value is Auto, when the speed is 100Mbps. If I set to 1Gbps full duplex, the wired adapter turns to some strange state, and the "internet connection" moves to use the WIFI. It is possible change the LinkSpeed attribute of the wired device, back to Auto, thus the device comes back to operation, and the "internet connection" move to use it, but the LinkSpeed keep in 100Mbps.

I ran the available Tests on the device, and when the LinkSpeed sets manually to 1G, the Connection and Cable test fails, but the HW test looks OK. Please refer to the LinkSpeed_-it_is_possible_set_linkspeed_to_1Gbps_after_hp_drv_installed-speed_is_no_available-Conn_test.jpg, LinkSpeed_-it_is_possible_set_linkspeed_to_1Gbps_after_hp_drv_installed-speed_is_no_available-HW_test.jpg and LinkSpeed_-it_is_possible_set_linkspeed_to_1Gbps_after_hp_drv_installed-speed_is_no_available-Cable_test.jpg files.

I would like to ask you, is there any tool what I probably can use for doing a bit deeper troubleshooting?

Thanks for your help,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear what happened. You can try re-installing the driver to check if the Energy Efficient Eternet option

will resume. The speed of the I217-LM depends on the linking partner, which in your case here is the switch. I understand your switch is not manageable and Dlink has confirmed the setup works,

can you try change the cable (in case you have) that connects SW1 and SW2. Is Dlink using the same I217-LM to test the setup?

The available tool we have is the diagnostic option available in the PROSet software which you were using already.

With sw1 and sw2 connected together, have you try connecting the I217-LM to other ports on switch 1 (e.g ports 3, 4 or 5 etc) and what is the speed

you were getting by connecting to switch 1 ports?

I will further do some checking and update you if there is anything to share. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello Sharon T.

Thanks for your email.

Regarding to the "Energy Efficient Eternet option", this comes back after doing few restart on the laptop :-)

Yesterday I did some more test.

1. unplug the SW1 and SW2,
  2. SW1 is connected to the internet modem
  3. plug the I217-LM to SW1
    1. I have tried to use all the ports on SW1, and the LinkSpeed of the I217-LM was always 1G
  4. replace SW1 with SW2, so now SW2 is connected to the internet modem
  5. plug the I217-LM to SW2
    1. I have tried to use all the ports on SW2, and the LinkSpeed of the I217-LM was always 1G
  6. connect SW1 and SW2 again, but use a new cable between them
  7. the LinkSpeed between the switches, according to their indicator LEDs, is 1G. The LEDs are GREEN
  8. connect I217-LM to port-3 of SW2, but its LinkSpeed 100M only, indicator LED above the port-3 is ORANGE
  9. unplug I217-LM from port-3 of SW2, and plug into this port the spare Dlink router -basically it does serves only WIFI in the room-
    • so now using the same port-3 on SW2, what was used earlier by the I217-LM. Now the LinkSpeed looks 1G, according to the indicator LED above port-3, it is GREEN.

So, now I am pretty sure, something is not working correctly in I217-LM side, but still do not see what that could be :-( Is it possible to read some registers, counters, something in the I217-LM to get more info what it does not likes, why its speed 100M?

Regarding to the Dlink support verification, unfortunately I don't know what they were used. Today, I try re-open the ticket for the issue, and try ask them, hope they can answer.

Thanks for your help,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the information. We will try look into this.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello,

I could borrow another laptop where I219-LM chip does the Ethernet, and it works exactly the same what I saw on my laptop. So if there are 2 Dlink gigabit switch in the path, the laptop can work with 100Mbps, instead of 1Gbps.

Let me know what tool can I use to get more info from the driver, regarding what is wrong, why the 1G could not able to establish when doing the auto-negotiation?

Thanks for your help,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the update. Please try to enable the legacy switch compatibility mode in the advance property of the network adapter. Feel free to update me the result. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello Sharon T,

I have enabled that, but nothing has changed. The LinkSpeed kept 100Mbps.

thanks,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the update. Let me further check.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

We tried testing in our lab using different switches encountered no such issue. In case you have spare switch (other brand), can you check if you will encounter the same issue? Please try get in touch with Dlink support again to check if there is any newer firmware for the switch or other suggestion they might offer. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

Agent under contract to Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Please feel free if you have spare switch to test to isolate the issue, have you tried contacting Dlink support again? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello Sharon T,

After our last discussion, I went back to the Dlink support, and shared with them our full discussion. Finally, they have decided to send me a spare Dlink swtich (DGS-1008D). That was arrived this morning, and I just finished the test few min ago, and replied back to Dlink support. Summary, there is no different in the behavior, the link between the DGS-1008D and HP is still 100M.

So if there are two switches connected to each-other and lets say the first is connected to the Internet Modem, than the HP is connected to the 2nd switch, the link speed between the HP and the 2nd switch is 100M. If the HP is connected to the 1st switch, the link speed is 1G.

Mystery :-(

If you have any idea what else can I do on the Ethernet device side, please let me know that.

Thanks a lot,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the update and I am sorry to hear what happened. Can you borrow other switch brand instead of Dlink to isolate the issue? We encountered no issue in our lab using other brand. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello Sharon T,

At this time, I cannot borrow any other switch/router. I will look around and ask my friends.

I will update this ticket, hope soon with some news.

thanks,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the update. Please feel free to update the post once you are able to do the test on other brand of the switch.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Please feel free to update me if you have the chance to test on other switch.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
RBalo
Beginner

hello,

Last Friday, I have received the spare Dlink switch from Dlink support, and the issue looks has been solved. It looks the switch I bought has some problem with handling "autoneg", that is why the 1G link was not able to setup.

But now all issues are gone, and I have 1G link.

I think this ticket can be closed.

Thanks for your help,

/Robi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ethrbh,

Thank you for the update and indeed good to know the issue is fixed. Please feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos