Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225 cutting out intermittently on Z490 motherboard

ArchPrime
Beginner

Hi I am experiencing the exact same issue that many others are reporting on my Gigabyte Aorus Ultra  Z490 motherboard, with Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225 cutting out intermittently. 

No response from Gigabyte tech support so far, but issue seems not to be specific to Gigabyte anyway, with all manufacturer's  Z490 boards apparently having issues with this ethernet controller, if forums are to be believed.

My system is near new, latest v1.45  firmware was already installed to controller, driver is managed by windows 10, but is also latest version 1.0.2.8.  I tried installing Gigabyte supplied driver 1.0.2.8, but no change.

Reverting to previous driver version 1.0.1.8 though windows 10 did not help. Updating motherboard BIOS did not help.

All power management sleep standby settings are switched off - no improvement

Connectivity loss can occur at any time. Not specifically associated with any particular app, activity or PC wake/sleep/standby status.  No other PC or devices on network are affected.  Swapping ethernet cable makes no difference.

Vanilla Windows 10 Pro install, no 3rd party antivirus apps.

No events prior to disconnect are recorded in event viewer - though there are obviously events after connectivity is lost

Whenever connectivity has been lost, Device Manager reports that there is no driver installed for Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V, but after reboot, the driver is back.

Only reliable workaround found is to reboot PC

Log is attached

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ArchPrime,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we further check your concern, can you share if you already followed the troubleshooting steps from link below?

Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ArchPrime
Beginner

Hi, that link essentially just contains instructions for updating firmware to 1.45.

As already advised, I already have 1.45 (motherboard was supplied with this firmware)

I did try reupdating per the steps in that link, but no change resulted - still get sporadic ethernet disconnections 

I have also tried reverting to the oldest ethernet controller (2) I225 device driver on the Gigabyte website product support page - again with no improvement.

It appears from comments on a number of forums that no combination of firmware or windows drivers resolves the issue, and that motherboard replacement with the same or other manufacturer Z490 motherboard does not resolve the issue

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ArchPrime,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you read our initial reply. If yes, kindly provide the information requested for us to proceed checking your query

Awaiting to your response.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ArchPrime,

I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ArchPrime
Beginner

Hi - why close this request?  The first notification of a reply to this only just reached me today !

0 Kudos
Rottmeister
Novice

Maybe start providing real solutions to this ongoing problem?

Having problems with I225-V controller are not separate cases but a fault at hardware level which Intel refuses to address. 

0 Kudos