Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Intel(R) Network Connections 17.3.63.0 is not compatible with Windows 8

idata
Employee

Good day Gentlemen,

I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 but Intel(R) Network Connections 17.3.63.0 is not compatible. I googled this issue and I found that if I uninstall Intel(R) Network Connections 17.3.63.0 and do the upgrade, I will lose my connection to the Internet. I'm not sure about this information and I can't risk my connection. So, what do I have to do with Intel(R) Network Connections 17.3.63.0 so I can upgrade to Windows 8 ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Follow these steps.

1. Open Windows* Control Panel
  2. Click Uninstall a program
  3. Uninstall Intel® Network Connections [version number]
  4. Click Yes on the User Account Control prompt
  5. On the Remove Options screen, uncheck Drivers. You must uncheck Drivers if you want to keep a connection to the network.
  6. Make sure Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager is checked
  7. Click Remove
  8. Click Yes to the question, Are you sure you want to remove the selected components from your computer?
  9. Click Finish when the completion dialogue appears.

After removing Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device manager, the Windows* 8 upgrade compatibility check will no longer block installation because of Intel Wired PROSet for Windows.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Follow these steps.

1. Open Windows* Control Panel
  2. Click Uninstall a program
  3. Uninstall Intel® Network Connections [version number]
  4. Click Yes on the User Account Control prompt
  5. On the Remove Options screen, uncheck Drivers. You must uncheck Drivers if you want to keep a connection to the network.
  6. Make sure Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager is checked
  7. Click Remove
  8. Click Yes to the question, Are you sure you want to remove the selected components from your computer?
  9. Click Finish when the completion dialogue appears.

After removing Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device manager, the Windows* 8 upgrade compatibility check will no longer block installation because of Intel Wired PROSet for Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Done & passed :-) Thank you sir.

I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HELLO SIR, WHEN I RAN ' WINDOWS 8 UPDATE ASSISTANCE ' IT SHOWED ME THAT MY ' INTEL(R) NETWORK CONNECTIONS 16.0.19.0 ' IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 8. AS YOU STATED THE SOLUTION OF THIS ISSUE, I WANT TO CONFORM THAT FIRST I NEED TO FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEPS IN MY EXISTING WINDOWS 7 AND THEN I NEED TO ENTER THE BOOTABLE USB OR DVD OF WIN 8.

IS THIS RIGHT ?

AM I ABLE TO USE INTERNET IN WINDOWS 8 THEN?

IS IT REQUIRED TO INSTALL ANY DRIVER IN WINDOWS 8?

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

After removing Intel(R) PROSet with the steps earlier in this thread, the Windows 8 upgrade will proceed normally. Windows 8 contains drivers for most Intel Ethernet devices, so you will maintain a wired Ethernet connection with the upgrade.

After you finish the upgrade you can get the latest software and drivers for Intel Ethernet devices at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21642 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21642. Just run the file to upgrade to the latest drivers.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark H,

I have an "Intel(R) Network Connections 14.2.100.0" problem similar to Hadab.

First I tried to upgrade from XP to Win 8Pro but halfway through the installation it bailed out giving an error: "Windows install was not successful, your previous version of windows is being restored" I tried it 3 times.

Then I got a new hard drive and installed Win 7-64bit and then tried to upgrade to Win 8 Pro. Just after it started it gave a warning that I must first uninstall the Ethernet controller, which I did. It then continued with the installation, restarted a few times and the just stopped. I guess the installation was almost complete. It then started uninstalling and said reverting back to previous version of windows (7).

Intel also indicated that they stopped support of my Motherboard DP55WB (Dec 2012) and no updated drivers are found for Win 8.

Do you have any suggestions please?

Kind regards

Fanie

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Fanie,

Information on what to do about blocked Windows 8 upgrades because of Intel® Wired PROSet for Windows are explained at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-033868.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-033868.htm. Are you still getting the message about Intel® Wired PROSet for Windows? If you do not have Intel® PROSet for Windows Device Manager installed, then the upgrade failure is probably not related to your network connection.

I have had some luck with doing a clean install of new versions of Windows on older, unsupported hardware, instead of doing an upgrade. But sometimes you can't get everything to work if a compatible driver is not available for the new version of Windows. I don't know if this will work with the DP55WB or not.

You might want to try running Microsoft's Upgrade Assistant to get an idea if your current hardware and software is compatible. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I see this thread and ask whether this solution also holds good for other versions of Network Connections.

In my case I am looking to go from Vista to 8 and get the error for "Intel(R) PRO Network Connections 12.1.11.0". Looking at various forums for this error specifically and there don't seem to be any real answers, then I stumble across this thread here, which I am hoping looks very possible.

Could I please ask whether this same solution would be right for my operating system and version?

And if so, am I right to think that 8 has all the necessary drivers and that I actually need to do nothing else to keep my internet connectivity?

0 Kudos
RWilk
Beginner

Have a question about removing this driver: What impact will this have on my other windows 7 ultimate 64x installed in another partition on this drive and system?

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Removing features from Intel Network Connections on one Windows installation should not affect a separate Windows installation on another partition. I often have 3 or 4 different versions of Windows and/or Linux in different partitions. I make changes all the time on one installation without any affect on a different installation.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sir i have got an unusual issue ,

network connection issue

I am using Windows 8 Pro. Sometimes what happens to me is my PC get started quickly otherwise it takes a bit longer time. Now when it starts quickly my Network symbol on the bottom right corner shows No Network and cross sign on it. Then i need to go to device manager and do a 'scan for hardware changes' in 'network adapters'. Then i am able to use my network. How can i resolve my issue?

My Network Specs are:

Intel(R) 82579V gigabite Network Connection

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

Intel(R) PRO Set Version: 18.0.1.0

And also done with re-installing but nothing changed.

Please suggest me any other way to get rid of this problem.

0 Kudos
CDesm2
Beginner

This is my first post so I may have posted it incorrectly as a reply instead of ???

I have a question. I followed the steps above to just leave the drivers. The Windows 8 upgrade assistant still says the The Intel Network Connection Intel(R) Network Connections 18.2.63.0 is not compatible.... Does this mean that Windows 8 still won't install or even with though it still shows the error the install should work. I have tried to install so many times I just want to check before trying again. Thank you for any answers.

0 Kudos