Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter - link disconnected

ETzad
Beginner

Hi

Using Intel PRO/1000 PT on Dell 3020 & Dell 390 connected to same device type one at the time.

The device works fine for hours or days and suddenly the link start toggling

off and on every few seconds.

The windows events log show ID 27 followed by the description:

The description for Event ID 27 from source e1express cannot be found. Either the component that

raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.

You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP7

Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter # 7

Any idea?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi elitzadka,

Did you try re-installing the PRO/1000 PT server adapter? What is the exact Windows OS used? Just to double check if you have also tested this network adapter in other system.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
ETzad
Beginner

Hi

Operating

system is Windows 7 Pro.

Yes,

we did try to reinstall driver or update to newer driver's version. Can this be

related to the power setting on OS? Or any interface between PC and board?

Please

refer to the windows event log below. Please be noted that log's snapshot I

took is when I opened the log on my computer and not on the original computer.

Thanks

Eli
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Elitzadka

Thank you for the additional information. Can you clarify what do you mean this is not from the original computer, so you mean this error happened on all the computer installed with PRO 1000 PT dual port adapter in the network?

1) Previously you mentioned "Using Intel PRO/1000 PT on Dell 3020 & Dell 390 connected to same device type one at the time. " Are you saying on Dell 320 and Dell 390 each computer has PRO 1000 PT Dual port adapter installed?

2)Are these Dell systems are connected to a switch? if yes, what is the switch brand and model?

3) Have you also check with Dell* support if PRO 1000 PT dual port server adapter has any incompatibility issue with their system?

4) Checking on the Dell 3020 specs from Dell* site http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/optiplex-3020-micro-technical-spec-sheet.pdf

There is integrated onboard NIC on their system, have you tried disable the onboard NIC to see if this could be of some help?

Thanks

wb

0 Kudos
ETzad
Beginner

Hi

1. One Intel PRO/1000 PT dual channel is attached to each computer. I can't say The NIC disconnected evet happens on all computer but it's happening on too many computers.

The difference is the event's frequency. The link is down for few second and up again. It happens when data is transferred and even when this communication line is idle.

If this communication lost happens when our controller try to communicate with the device via GBE, the controller comes with an error message and stop all processes.

The attached log's snapshot belongs to one of the problematic computer, and this I received when I opened the log on my personal computer which does not include the Intel PRO/1000.

In that case I got the long message on the bottom of the attached snapshot.

Opening this log on the same problematic computer, will generate the following message for ID27 event: "Intel(R) PRO/1000PT Dual Port Server Adapter Link has been disconnected."

Anny way it's the same NIC disconnect issue.

2. The PRO/1000 on Dell computer is connected directly to a board designed by Kodak. No switch involved.

3. I did not check with Dell for this specific PRO/1000 mating with Dell3020 but this computer does support 1GBE network adapters.

4. We are using the "on board" GBE port to receive files via internet. In some cases we are using the second port of the Intel PRO/1000 port too.

Adding question: As I see on board spec, the recommended cable is cat 5 Unshielded TP and we are using a shielded cable. Do you see any problem?

Thanks

Eli

0 Kudos