Intel(R) PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility with X550T1 Ethernet Adapter

apollo567
Beginner

Hello

I am using an Intel network adapter X550T1 in my PC and
connect it via 5m Cat7 cable to the 10Gb port of my Netgear MS510TX
switch.

I get with the Intel(R) PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility the
file attached, which I don't think makes any sense.

Is this a bug or where should I look if I want to fix
the indicated cable problem ?

Greetings
Achim Walter

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using an onboard/embedded X550T1?
  2. What is the brand and model of your board or system?
  3. Are you having issued with your connection?
  4. We are very sorry, we can only support you in English and we don't understand the screenshot. Is there an error?
  5. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far?
  6. Please help generate the SSU for us to check the configuration. Kindly download the utility here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner
  1. Are you using an onboard/embedded X550T1? No, an adapter card
  2. What is the brand and model of your board or system? MSI Z170A-G45
  3. Are you having issued with your connection? Yes initialliy, I connected the X550T1 with a 5G Port of the Switch, as the Server got the only 10 GB port. But there I only got an 1GB connect. Thats why I used the Intel(R) PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility, which resulted in my replacing the Network cable to a cat7 cable (5m). But I still got the 1 GB connect and the above mentioned error message.
    Thats why I wrote my question, because it looked odd to me that the cable test were fine, but the overall result said there was a cable problem. Since I added a axm765 10000s adapter to the switch for an additional 10G port I got with the same cable a proper 10GB connect, but the Programme still said there is a cable problem
    . Could there be a translation problem in the utility ?
  4. We are very sorry, we can only support you in English and we don't understand the screenshot. Is there an error?
    I haven't found the English Utility version therefore I will explain and translate :
    The first button says 'Cable test' and right of it ' there is a problem with your network cable'
    But the tests in the below window here and always said: 'status of cable quality: excellent' and 'status of cable integrity: no error could be recognized.' This together with the cable problem message mentioned abouve sounds weird to me.
  5. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far? mentioned above
  6. Please help generate the SSU for us to check the configuration. Kindly download the utility here: Is this still of use ?
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just making a follow up on the information that we requested for us to further check the issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

Thank you Sir, for taking care, will answer this weekend

Kind Regard

apollo

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for the reply. I will wait for your update over the weekend for us to further check this inquiry.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for providing the details that we requested and we appreciate the translation that you made with the error. Can you also provide photos of the PCIe adapter card on both sides focusing on the markings for us to validate the card as well?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

Might this be sufficient ?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for the reply, however one of the reason why we are asking for the photos of the card focusing on the markings is for us to validate if the card is a retail card or an OEM card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

Can't take care before weekend about this request.
But to be honest, I struggle to understand why this might be of relevance given a Software Problem. Are there a different Hardware-Versions of the Card available ? Isn't OEM Vs retail usually more a topic of lenghts of guaranties and packaging ?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for the quick reply and I apologize if there is a confusion on why we need to get the markings to verify the product. Let me explain that an OEM card does not guarantee if the manufacturer opened all the feature of the card since they have their own firmware. And also, even if they purchase the chip to us, they are the one who builds the entire card using the components of their choice.

We will try to wait for the photos, however we can also get the markings via ssu. If you can generate the ssu, kindly try that and lets check if the markings is visible. Usually, retail cards markings is detected. Please download the utility below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?wapkw=ssu

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

Hello,
I attached a SSU File, Please delete it from the forum after use.

Hope this clarified the installed product.

Another topic: Is there something like a firmware update for the network adapter available for the card and dies it make sense to apply it ?

Regards

apollo

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for sending the ssu. By the way, I just want to add that the reason why we need to validate if it is an Intel Retail adapter or OEM because we only have limited support for OEM products. These OEM products are mostly carried by HP, Dell and other 3rd party manufacturers which they are still the best source of support as they have made some alterations on the product. Since you cannot send pictures of the card, we will try to check if the markings is visible in this SSU because there are some cards that does not show the markings in the SSU. However, if the markings for your card does not show, we will request for the pictures. Also, the SSU will help us check other information about your system such as installed drivers and firmware. This is also the reason why we previously requested for it.

As of the moment, I already deleted the SSU on your post and please give us 1 to 2 business days to check the issue and the details in the SSU logs that you provided.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. Here is our findings and we are hoping that you can provide the information below:

1. Base on SSU, you are already using the latest driver version:"4.1.239.0" However, we still recommend if he can perform a clean driver installation and Proset of 26.6. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html here is the steps for the clean driver installation https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html
  2. The PBA number of the adapter detected in SSU log is "000300-000" which unfortunately we could not identify if it is an Intel Ethernet Adapter or possibly OEM. Please help to provide pictures of whole front and back of the adapter.
  3. You are also requesting if we have an updated NVM for X550. Base on the logs, you are using NVM Version:"0x80000391" which probably one of the lowest version. The NVM version we have is suitable for Retail Intel Ethernet Adapter only. We can provide the latest NVM and guide you on how to update once we have confirmed that you are using an Intel Ethernet Adapter. Our NVM might not work and may damage if you are using an OEM card. That is why we are very careful in guiding and providing the NVM firmware update to avoid more issues.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

Pictures trather at the weekend.

But does this help ?

• Gerätekennung (Device Id)PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1563&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01\4&150344BA&0&00E4
  • Version (Revision)01

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for the update. I am really sorry, we really need the photos of the card on both sides to validate all the markings. We will wait for the photos this weekend.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

So here we go with the pictures

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you so much for sending the pictures of the card. We need to validate the markings of the card and please give us 1 to 2 business days to provide an update on this inquiry.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

I hope this message finds you well. We just want to update you that we are still checking and validating your inquiry. Please give us another 2 to 3 business days to provide an update on this inquiry.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello apollo567,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. After checking the photos that you provided, the card is not an Intel Ethernet Adapter. The X550-T1 was lunched in Q1'16. For an Intel Ethernet Adapter, it should have Yottamark Sticker.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

What we can only suggest is to perform clean driver installation and install the latest driver for windows 10. Remind customer that the PROSet and driver are separately downloaded. Here is the link for the instruction:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

If issue persist, we would suggest that is is best to contact your reseller for assistance.

As much as we want to further assist you on this concern, our support is limited because this is not an Intel Ethernet Adapter. It might be an OEM so best to seek assistance first from your reseller. Once you know it is a 3rd party OEM manufacturer, it would be best to get in touch with the OEM manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so that you not lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
apollo567
Beginner

Hello,

first let me thank you so much for your intense care about my topic.

I must say I am honestly surprised it is not an genuine Intel card as I wasn't aware there are even OEMs as Adapter card available. (currently at least I can't find some offered in Germany)

I bought the LAN-Adapters used (ebay at a favourable price) so I understand this at least better now.

As I therefore don't know the Manufacturer, can you give be a hint how to identify him ?

I found this list: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Must this be then of of those Manufacturers ?

Kind Regards

apollo

0 Kudos