Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel VLANs not working in Windows 10 2004 (20H1)

KLamb9
Beginner

We have to upgrade all of our servers over to Windows 10 2004 (20H1) because some of the software we run is going end of life and will require that within the next month. We did a test upgrade to one of the servers and noticed that the VLAN adapters stay in the "disabled" state. Is this a known issue? We really need this fixed because we're at risk of not being able to run the software anymore which will compromise our business profits. Is there a workaround to this urgent issue?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would suggest that you try removing the existing Ethernet driver package and then reinstalling the latest from the Intel site (even if it seems to have same version string).

...S

0 Kudos
KLamb9
Beginner

We tried that. No luck. We're using the latest available version on Intel's site which is 25.1.

So what we did was this (all on the same exact hardware):

1. Installed Windows 10 1909, fresh install.
  2. Installed the Intel PROSet Drivers.
  3. Ran the Adapter Configuration Tool that comes with the drivers.
  4. Confirmed we were able to set up VLANs

After this was confirmed, we reformatted the machine and did this:

1. Installed Windows 10 2004 (20H1), fresh install
  2. Installed the Intel PROSet Drivers
  3. Ran the exact same steps that we did on 1909 in the Adapter Configuration Tool
  4. Confirmed that VLAN support was broken

So to summarize, we ran the exact same steps with the exact same hardware on Windows 10 1909 and Windows 10 2004.

The issue is with the Intel software not working on Windows 10 2004 (20H1).

0 Kudos
RHans27
Beginner

Same problem here.

intel I218-V, VLANs can't enable no matter what i do.

Have tried all the problem solving guides, including intels own, with both the 25 and 25.1 proset drivers. No succes, so I have come to the conclusion that intels drivers does not work with the new win 10 2004.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

Don't worry, this is normal. After a new Windows 10 release Intel always need some time before releasing a driver update that has working ANS support. Usually it takes them about two months; if they build in some new bugs, or break PowerShell again, it may be a bit longer.

To my knowledge, they have always had a working driver out before the next Windows 10 upgrade, so you will have some time to enjoy it.

0 Kudos
JTori1
Beginner

Hello,

Same problem on my side.

This is painfull :(.

Help Us Intel!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for logging your inquiry in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please be informed that we are currently checking this issue on our end. Rest assured that we will give an update within 2-4 business days.

Hello KLamb9 and JTori1,

Can you please also share the model of your Ethernet controller? 

We look forward to your response. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
KLamb9
Beginner
0 Kudos
GGHEZ
Novice

Hi,

I have an I 217-LM, the same problem. After upgrading to the 2004 (from 1909) Feature Update of Windows 10, VLAN Ethernet remains disabled. I'm using the latest driver (25) from Intel site. Tried uninstall before apply 2004, rollback to the default W10 driver, reinstall after 2004 installed, nothing change. Both Intel utility and Poweshell commands creates VLANs, but in disabled state and they don't move to the enabled state. Please fix, this is an old issue and never definitively resolved. Thanks.

VProd2
Beginner

Hi. Intel I219-V. The same problem VLAN stays disabled after creation. Tried both Powershell and GUI.

JPoll10
Novice

As mentioned above, every biannual Windows 10 update breaks Intel's VLAN and teaming functionality. This situation has existed for years. Intel's developers appear to not participate in either of the Windows development rings: Slow gives at least a 6-month preview of breaking changes, while Fast Ring provides a full year of visibility.

If past performance is an indicator, expect functional drivers from Intel later this summer, probably before the Windows 10 2020 Fall update lands. We have gone through this cycle too many times to count. When Intel's update lands, I wrote a guide to updating the PROSet software as reliably as possible.

Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

We have confirmed that ANS for 20H1 is not supported in SW Release 25.1. ANS support including Teams and VLAN configuration will be available for Windows 20H1 with SW Release 25.1.1.

SW Release 25.1.1 will be available hopefully before the end of the month.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

Driver package version 25.1.1 did post recently and seems to have resolved the issue for our I210 and I219-LM NICs.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
That's (also) good to hear!
...S
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Good day!

Please be informed that SW Release 25.1.1 is now available for download. Please let us know if you were able to try it out and give us an update for the result.

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=139349

SW Release 25.1.1 supports Microsoft Windows* 10, Version 2004 & Microsoft* Windows Server* Version 2004. This includes support for Team and VLAN configuration.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

How are you today?

We'd like to check if all of you were able to try out the latest driver version that includes support for Team and VLAN configuration on Microsoft Windows* 10, Version 2004 & Microsoft* Windows Server* Version 2004. If you do, kindly share an update for the result.

Looking forward to your replies.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive any response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello KLamb9,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future.

May you have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

Problem exists again in the fall update preview.
Why can't Intel get their drivers synced and part of the regular release cycle, instead of months after?

ENVY
Beginner

Anyone been able to get VLANs to work in Windows 10 2004 yet?

0 Kudos
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

The version 21 drivers worked in 2004. The latest (25) work in 2H02.

0 Kudos
prosephina
Beginner

i have the same problem in windows 10 1903,1909 and 20H1,20H2

intel (r) ethernet connection 2 i218-V

0 Kudos