Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Intel X550-T2 Card not compatible to HP 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT-PoE+ Switch

idata
Employee

Hi,i have the following issue. i am using a workstation equipped with Intel X550-T2 card and connected both 10Gbase-T ports with a cat7 cable to switch-port 27/28. switch-port 27/28 are also 10Gbase-T capable.

only one port on the intel card will connect at full speed (10Gbps). the second port will run with 1Gbps. I tried these things:

- build up a lan-team on workstation-side in windows server 2012

- forced card- and switch-ports to 10Gbase

- build a aggregation with both switch-ports

nothing really helped. is there a compatibility problem between card and switch ?

i tried also to active and deactivate stp. i dont understand why only one port run with full speed.

i got a supermicro-mainboard based server in my office as well, two intel x550 onboard ports and the same problem occur. one port is at full speed the second port is at 100Mbps.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
CRing2
Beginner

this driver version show the same issue that the speed is only 1 gibt/s, not 10

0 Kudos
CRing2
Beginner

last but not least i solved the case by my own - i force the switch Michael uses too to drive the port with 10 gbit/s

through the management of the switch.

Now the driver shows the higher speed to on the server.

Done - have a nice weekend

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

i tried to set the port-speed on both ports to 10Gbps in the switch-management, just one of the two ports will accept this speed. the second port is disconnected.

did you just forced the port-speed or did you add some more settings to the switch management ?

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the updates glad to know that you were able to connect at 10 Gbps.

As for Michael's case, he was trying to configure teaming. But, he is getting 1 Gbps on one of the ports when connected to the switch.

Hi Michael,

Do you have other 10 Gbps switch that you can test? Or try connecting to other ports.

Sincerely,

Sandy
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

i bought a qlogic qle3442-rj-ck dual port rj45 10gbps card, put it into my system, boot it up, installed all driver and it worked without adjusting or touching any setting.

please intel i need a fix, i have already spend 400 € for a second 10gbps just to test that your nic is the problem....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

I see. I'll follow thru this issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

We've tried X550-T2 with link aggregation using non-HP 10Gb switch and was able to get 10Gbps on both ports. Kindly help check with HP for settings that might trigger the issue.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Vince,

i contacted the hp-support and their solution was to send me a new switch :-(

and when i ask for help with settings they replied that it is not their job, and i should read the manual .....

0 Kudos
CRing2
Beginner

Hello Vince,

i still have the same topic like Michael and i am very happy you care for it.

The reason is that my "force the port" solution by fix the value at the switch was very unstable

and i had to got back to 1gbit/s. So i am still in the case.

I also got no help from hp - and i did not ask for a replacement switch.

Michael - i am curious if you have the same thing with the replacement one.

Thank you!

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

At this point, I'd suggest to consider the replacement switch that HP is offering or better if they can also try out on their end to further isolate the issue.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vince,

HP already replaced my switch with same result and closed the case .... great.

Supermicro told me that there is a known issue between the intel-chip x557 and cisco parts inside of same switches, it should already reported to your support. here is the message i got from supermicro-support:

Hi Michael,

But do you have the possibility to test with a direct connection between 2 boards?

The reason I'm asking is because we are aware of an issue with the Intel X557 (Xeon-D) and some Cisco switches. As a lot of switches use Cisco parts and the X550 on the board is from the same series as the X557 and issues may be the same.

The issue is exactly that the NIC won't do 10Gb on the switch, it will fall back to 1Gb or even not be able to connect at all.

Met vriendelijke groet / Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Quintijn Schade van Westrum

Sr. Application Engineer

i will try to establish a direct connection between the intel and the qlogic card to test if the problem is just incompatibility.

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Michael for the update, i'll also check internally if there's report from Supermicro regarding this issue.

Please let us know the result of your direct connection testing.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
rschi5
Beginner

Hi Michael,

I got a very similar issue with one X11SSZ-TLN4F-O and three X10SDV-TLN4F boards connected to a ZyXEL XS1920-12 switch.

Upon reboot or link state change, the ports speed is 1G most of the time and 10G very few times.

Did you manage to have an definitive answer from anyone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi hypervisor,

no definitive answer from any site.

because the qlogic-addon-card will do the job i have to buy a complete bundle of them... cheap way .... i cant change all mainboards or any of the switches (vlan-configured) with all that downtime.

here is the latest overview:

intel: card is working in lab so no problem, wrong configuration etc. -> still waiting for feedback/driver/firmware

hp: switch is working with my qlogic nic so it is not their fault, send me a new switch anyway for testing -> same result

supermicro: it is a known issue, because a similar thing happend with intel x557 nic and cisco-switches, they gave their feedback to intel and still waiting for reply -> no result

have a nice weekend anyway

Michael

0 Kudos
rschi5
Beginner

Thanks for you great feedback Michael.

I ordered a d-link dxs-1210 to replace the zyxel so i'll let you know if it works better with that one.

This situation is a shame for the ethernet standard, i can't beleive we face incompatibilities between cards and swiches, it's ridiculous...

Nice WE too!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

direct connection is working. i don´t know if this will help you.

qlogic and intel nic will work together at full speed.

Michael

0 Kudos
rschi5
Beginner

At least it confirms the incompatibility theory

0 Kudos
rschi5
Beginner

Same issue with a D-Link DXS-1210-12TC

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

we are having a netgear m4300-28g-poe+ switch for testing purpose here, and this model is working fine with the intel x550-t2 (onboard and as a pci-expresscard).

the m4300 was not cheap but it is working as it should.

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the information. We are still checking on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael, we'd like to check if your HPE OfficeConnect 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT-PoE+ has latest software package. Kindly confirm and share the version. Thanks.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos