Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel X550-T2 where is firmware update for promised 802.3bz (official NBase-T standard)?

blogthis
New Contributor I

Hi,

We have many Intel X550-T2, and I have one genuine Intel X550-AT2 in our lab for testing.

The official standard for NBase-T is known as IEEE 802.3bz, and was promised as a feature-update via firmware by Intel, at the launch announcement within that X550 Product Brief, in this original Product Launch Intel file:  "Intel_Ethernet_Controller_X550_Product_Brief.pdf"

A few links to Intel's promise from Intel resellers:

https://www.uptimed.nl/downloads/uptimed-intel-x550-product-brief.pdf

http://8thgen.pillarglobalsolutionsinc.swcontentsyndication.com/sw/swchannel/CustomerCenter/documents/19765/39003/Intel_Ethernet_Controller_X550_Product_Brief.pdf

https://docplayer.net/55770857-Intel-ethernet-controller-x550.html

/quote/

"In addition, the X550 controller also supports NBASE-T* technology.
NBASE-T technology can increase network speeds of 2.5 Gb/s or 5 Gb/s using existing CAT 5e/CAT 6 cables at lengths up to 100 m.
Intel’s NBASE-T technology can be firmware upgraded to support the emerging IEEE 802.3bz specification(1).

NBASE-T Technology Support (IEEE 802.3bz "ready")
* Provides 2.5 GbE and 5.0 GbE link speeds over CAT5e/CAT6 cabling deployments. Firmware upgradable to IEEE 802.3bz(1)

(1) Feature to be enabled in a post-launch firmware release."

/unquote/

I also found this:

Filename: X550_SpecUpdate_Rev2.9.pdf

Quote, "NBASE-T speed advertisement (2.5 GbE/5 GbE) is disabled by default in the X550 NVM. An NBASE-T enabled driver should be used to link at NBASE-T speeds."

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030131/ethernet-products.html

Quote, "The Windows* drivers support the NBASE-T technology"

Indeed, yes I found that Windows 10/11 are now supported with NBASE-T 2.5/5.0 link speeds in Intel Driver pack Wired_PROSet_27.6_x64.zip

And:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/ethernet-controller-x550-feature-support-matrix.pdf

So.... the IEEE 802.3bz firmware "feature" upgrade from the draft Nbase-T, was promised by Intel in year 2015 (at Intel's x550 product launch) - And the IEEE 802.3bz standard was ratified in year 2016 - But, I can't find that firmware anywhere, now 6 years later in year 2022?

WHERE is the IEEE 802.3bz firmware, and what VERSION of the firmware added it?

HOW do we confirm if our older X550 NIC's have 802.3bz enabled?

Is IEEE 802.3bz integrated into an NVM image for X550; if so, which one and where is its release notes that specifically say 802.3bz now supported?

Or, is this IEEE 802.3bz added with an EEPROM update etc; if so how do I obtain it?

Note:  I've dug through NVM update release notes, and I do NOT see any specific mention of IEEE 802.3bz being "enabled" in the regular/mainstream NVM firmware.
If this feature-update for adding 802.3bz is in a NVM firmware, please give me the link to the Release Notes that specifically say it.

In general - Please provide details.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
blogthis
New Contributor I

To Answer my own thread:

NO, the X550-T2 does NOT, and apparently NEVER will support 100% compliance to IEEE 802.3bz mGig support (based on Intel post above, and elaborated in root cause below).

However..

YES, the X550-T2 supports NBase-T cross-compatibility with ALMOST ALL IEEE 802.3bz devices/features, now enabled in Windows 10/11 drivers v26+ with NVM firmware v3.6+..

The only two things we confirmed do NOT work right now at time of posting:

(a). Link speed Auto-Negotiate with SOME switches fails (but works if Manually set), and

(b). IEEE 802.3az "green" Energy Efficient Ethernet ("EEE") mode is still unsupported.

Very importantly, and in all fairness:

The official IEEE 802.3bz mGig standard itself provides for NBase-T backwards compatibility, and in our testing this X550-T2 DOES indeed work as expected when NBase-T driver is Manually set link speed to 2.5g or 5.0g in Windows 10/11.

Root cause:

(1). Preliminary-Draft Nbase-T upgrade to official IEEE 802.3bz MGIG firmware, as confirmed above by Intel, DOES NOT EXIST in full compliance, and,

(2). Based on our own research - The REASON is official IEEE 802.3az standard for EEE is the main problem, because it is ALSO missing from the physical chip, and CANNOT be added by just NVM firmware, but EEE is unfortunately REQUIRED to be in fully official IEEE 802.3bz compliance (this EEE standard is a part of the official mGig standard).

NOTE: Intel admits EEE is unsupported on X550-T2 (despite saying its supported in outdated Docs) here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/802-3az-EEE-support-on-X550-T1-2-NICs/m-p/284819

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/On-the-state-of-802-3az-with-Intel-X550/m-p/1364016

Summary..

A large amount of X550-T2 documentation and spec sheets etc, contradict themselves and are now inaccurate, due to two fundamental reasons: 

(a) Docs are still based on the two promised IEEE 802.3 wired Ethernet features that were retracted by Intel and NOT released, and,

(b) Features were added by Intel slowly over time to its NVM Firmware and Drivers but then poorly documented, not documented at all, or not consistently documented across all possible sources of the release notes and various places on the Intel website that host such docs.

(c) Outdated docs/specs, results in tremendous customer confusion with this product.

IMHO:

Basically, Intel just needs to go on a documentation especially spec sheet update project on their own website to clear up all this confusion across all their numerous sources of information for features working in the X550-T2 to properly align with the CURRENT (post-launch) newer drivers and firmware capabilities.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 Replies
blogthis
New Contributor I

And, 802.3bz for x550 chipset is still promised here:

https://ca.ingrammicro.com/site/productdetail?id=A300-4048DX

"Intel's NBASE-T technology can be firmware upgraded to support the emerging IEEE 802.3bz specification."

But that was 6 years ago.

WHERE and WHAT firmware to install, to ensure IEEE 802.3bz compliance?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please share the exact Operating System that you used for us to proceed checking your query. 

We look forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am testing with Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise version 21H2, and Windows 11 Enterprise version 21H2.

These operating systems are supported by Intel for NBase-T link speeds (2.5g/5.0g):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030131/ethernet-products.html

I'm using these Intel drivers for Windows, the Release Notes also say it's supported:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet/500-controllers/x550-controllers/downloads.html

However, I do not understand why the operating system matters?   I am asking about the X550 promised firmware update I linked (dated 6-years ago), to upgrade it from the preliminary/draft pre-standard NBase-T, to its official release final-standard IEEE 802.3bz?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Thank you for the swift response. 

We asked the Operating System you used as it is stated on specifications of Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2 link below that NBASE-T support is in Linux Only

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88209/intel-ethernet-converged-network-adapter-x550t2.html

You will also notice that the article mentioned that the Windows* drivers support the NBASE-T technology, but only in Autosense. 

The Windows* drivers support the NBASE-T technology, but only in Autosense. 2.5GbE or 5GbE cannot be set as default, but if the signal degrades from 10GbE, it will automatically switch as long as the link partner supports those speeds.

On Linux* OS environments, the NBASE-T has been supported since NVM* version 1.55 and Linux ixgbe driver version 4.3.9.

It is also mentioned on Intel Ethernet Controller X550 Specification Update page 9 that Linux driver version 4.3.9 is currently the only supported software solution for NBASE-T.

NBASE-T Speed Advertisement

NBASE-T speed advertisement (2.5 GbE/5 GbE) is disabled by default in the X550 NVM. An NBASE-T

enabled driver should be used to link at NBASE-T speeds.

Linux driver version 4.3.9 is currently the only supported software solution for NBASE-T.

For future planned enhancements, contact your Intel representative.

https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/333717/X550_SpecUpdate_Rev2.9.pdf

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications and we will be glad to check on it.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Hello,

To avoid further delay with your asking me for validation information like pictures and a YottaMark code to verify this Intel X550-T2 is not OEM, I'm providing it to you now in advance to prove this is a real Genuine Intel:

intel_x550_t2_back.jpgintel_x550_t2_front.jpg

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Hello,

I do not understand why you're so focused on Operating System?

You acknowledged what I observe, that YES: Windows and Linux are BOTH supported for NBase-T.

But, to reiterate again: This is IRRELEVANT to my request for the Firmware to support the emerging IEEE 802.3bz specification.

Also, you are quoting OUTDATED and DEPRECATED articles about X550....

Again - I am asking, just One (1) Question, for the 3rd time now:

Where is the promised Intel FIRMWARE for this X550 that upgrades from draft NBase-T to the standard IEEE 802.3bz?

In the Intel spec sheets that I quoted:

"Intel's NBASE-T technology can be firmware upgraded to support the emerging IEEE 802.3bz specification."

Just to avoid your confusion on my question - I have switched from Windows, and I am now using Linux (because Drivers and OS do not matter to this request!).

Now, where is the Firmware, and what version is that Firmware, to enable the Intel-promised IEEE 802.3bz specification on the X550-AT2 NIC?

Please reply with a Download Link to Intel's promised X550 Firmware to "support IEEE 802.3bz", and its Release Notes.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Thank you for the detailed response and please accept our apologies for the confusion. 

Please allow us to further check your request with our engineers. We will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Thanks, I look forward to your reply. Please do not close this request.

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I
I look forward to hearing from you with where and how to download the firmware and release notes showing confirmation of which update adds 802.3bz.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that your request is still escalated to our engineering team. Rest assured that we are closely monitoring this request and we will keep you posted for any updates and status of your query. 

Please expect another update no later than 3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

How are you doing? I hope everything is great!

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on your request with our higher level Engineers. We apologize if this is taking longer than you expect but rest assured that we are doing our best to sort this out as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please be informed that we received an update from engineering team that the X550 already support NBASE-T in Windows. The X550 does support NBASE-T in Windows, however it has a limitations that it does not support auto-negotiation for those speeds. This was changed in SW release 25.4, but can be manually changed to those speeds in device manager properties.

We have also requested the concerned department to modify the document (Spec Update) as it states that it does not work in Windows is incorrect.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Hello,

Thank you for informing me that the end-user has full supported control in Windows over setting 2.5g and 5.0g link speeds as of Windows Intel wired drivers release 25.4 (and higher). We had already observed this feature working in our labs.

However, again; That still does NOT answer my question. 

Let me try explaining the situation AGAIN, worded differently and spelled out:

NBaseT was a draft/pre-standard for 2.5g and 5.0g link speeds, that was 1-year later ratified as the official standard IEEE 802.3bz.

Intel promised a post-release firmware update to X550-T2 for upgrading the X550 using launch NBaseT draft/pre-standard, to the official IEEE 802.3bz standard. 

Note: IEEE 802.3bz has been the official ratified standard of 2.5g and 5.0 link speeds for over 5-years now.

I have linked and quoted the official Intel advertisements and documents above multiple times, that clearly promise in writing, that Intel would be upgrading from draft NBaseT to official standard IEEE 802.3bz support, post-launch of X550, as a free firmware upgrade.

So, my question, which I am RE-ASKING again for the FOURTH (4th) time:

I need from you with where to download, and how to apply, said firmware, with its written release notes showing clear confirmation, of exactly which Intel firmware update, upgrades NbaseT to add the official IEEE 802.3bz compliance, to the official Intel X550-AT2/X550-T2 cards.

Thanks (again).

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Appreciate your swift response. 

Please allow us to forward your reply to our engineering team. We will get back to you as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3 business days. 

We would also like to sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience that this has caused on your end. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that we are again coordinating your concerns with our engineers. We sincerely apologize as we need to further check your concerns. We will give you another update no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still checking this request with our engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from our engineers but no later than 3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

How are you doing? I hope everything is great!

Please be informed that we are still checking this request with our engineers. This is still for further investigation and we will give another update once we heard from them but no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis,

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this request.

Please be informed that we are still waiting for the feedback of our engineers. Rest assured that we are monitoring this request and we will give you an update no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello blogthis,

I hope you're having a wonderful day.

We just want to update you that we are still checking this request with our Engineers. This is still for further investigation and we will give another update once we heard from them but no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos