Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Intel X710-DA2 PXEboot failing with PXE-E61 Media Test Failure

SBurn10
Beginner

I have an X710-DA2 installed in an HP Z8 G4 workstation.

This card links up and works fine when running a preinstalled copy of Linux, I can transfer data across it fine, ssh etc so I know my fibre connection to the switch and network is good.

However, whenever I try and PXEboot from it I get the PXE-E61 Media Test Failure and cannot figure out why as it works fine once Linux is booted.

I can PXEboot from the HP internal NIC fine so it's just a specific issue with this card, any ideas ?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello SBurn10, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. For us to further check this issue, can you provide the following details. 1. Can you provide a photo of the unit focusing on the markings? 2. What is the firmware version of the NIC card? 3. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

Unfortunately I cannot provide a photo of the unit as cameras are not allowed onsite.

Please advise how to query the firmware version from Linux.

I have tried legacy BIOS boot, and in this mode the card simply reports PXE-E61 and the network boot then fails.

In UEFI boot mode I do get link up and the initial .EFI bootloader downloaded but network booting then fails further on, but this is a different issue with the bootloader (iPXE) not having code to support the X710 card and not a PXE boot failure in itself.

So, really my issue is with legacy BIOS boot failing with PXE-E61.

Hope that clarifies.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SBurn10, Thank you for the clarifications. However, I need to check if the NIC card is on-board or not and if this is a PCIe NIC card, I also need to check if the card is OEM or retail. Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

Its a PCIe card in slot 7, I will open it up and have a look at any stickers, are there any markings in particular I need to look for as regards HP OEM or Intel ?

I will also see if I can use that support utility.

0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

OK, having a quick look at the script from the SSU and it just runs ethtool, lshw, modinfo and lspci so can probably pull out the data from that and let you know (we're limited to the data we can supply offsite).

Is there a specific PCI vendor and device ID that will mark it as genuine Intel as opposed to HP OEM?

Edit: Looks like Ven 8086 Dev 1572 would be genuine Intel X710, will check for that

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SBurn10, You may check the card's PBA # on this link. It should match the first 6 alpha number characters. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

Thanks for the help,

The card has markings X710DA2HPI J52133-002 956292 902868-001

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

Thank you for providing the markings. I tried checking the part number J52133 in the link below and it is not there.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

And after further checking, I found out that this is an OEM and it belongs to HP. They may have altered some settings or specification of this card. For further assistance or checking, you may contact HP regarding this issue,

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

I just want to check if you already tried contacting HP regarding this issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

Hello,

I have tried contacting HP but there are issues confirming our system serial numbers so I've had no assistance yet.

This does seem a strange issue though related purely to legacy BIOS boot, clearly an issue with the card's PXE firmware....

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

That is the problem if you are using an OEM unit. Third party manufacturers can alter specifications of the unit and those changes are unknown to us.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

We understand that you've tried contacting HP but haven't received assistance yet due to serial number issue.

We would also check this on our end and give you an update as soon as there is any findings. We would appreciate if you can post on this thread as soon as you get an assistance from HP.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

I have not had an opportunity to further chase HP for support at this time, if I do get assistance I will advise you.

Thanks for checking this issue on your end.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

We tried to simulate this issue and we did not replicate the PXE error in our lab using legacy PXE boot and retail version of the X710-DA2.

When you boot up and selected network boot, is there boot agent version showing up in the screen?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

I am just making a follow up on this one.

1. When you boot up and selected network boot, is there boot agent version showing up in the screen?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SBurn10
Beginner

Hello Michael,

Yes, there is a boot agent version showing, I will try and obtain the details for you.

Out of interest is it possible to flash Intel firmware onto an OEM card or presumably this is unsupported ?

Thanks for confirming you had this working with no problem, clearly we need to follow up with HP as it seems an issue with their specific OEM card.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

It is not advisable to update the firmware of an OEM card using Intel's firmware because it may damage the NIC. If you want to update the firmware of your card, please contact HP.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

I just want to check if you tried contacting HP regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SBurn10,

If you still have questions or clarifications, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos